Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fags & beer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85748 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2010 - 10:07 PM

How many of us on here smoke, or take the odd tipple?

A packet of 20 is about 6 these days
A pint 2.50/3.50 or summat like that.

So for the price of a packet of fags & a couple of pints, a hell of a lot of wild bird seed (Say sunflowers) could be purchased.

Even if only strewn on the ground near your local park, or hedgebottom, it would help our feathered friends to survive the current weather conditions.

Not much to ask, or is it?

I know a lot of folks on here already do what is required, but a few more, who have never considered the idea might be prompted.

Just a request folks

Adrian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Dec 2010 - 10:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
21 Dec 2010 - 10:25 PM

I've been doing something similar for years, ever since I was a child really (and that was a while ago!) mostly because my Mum did, and still does do it.
I've got a feeder hanging from a tree in my garden (opposite a widow) and I scatter bits of old bread, some of ours and any that's left over from the lunches at the school where I work, beneath it.
Not only does it help the birds but in return I get a never ending supply of free models to photograph!

Jester.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214401 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2010 - 10:27 PM

Lol we need more road kill over by me, the kites are flying seriously low at the mo.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215509 forum posts England
21 Dec 2010 - 10:47 PM

Same here. Seen a lot of birds of prey sitting in trees or pylons today, but the kites are circling 30 foot overhead.

Mrs B suggested throwing out some raw meat rather than the seeds and mealworms....

Last Modified By Big Bri at 21 Dec 2010 - 10:48 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214401 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2010 - 11:01 PM

I think we have about 200 pairs locally, I really have no idea if they use a feeding station, probably not.

We have a few the put out left overs for them.

Paul Morgan
21 Dec 2010 - 11:13 PM

There`s a few feeding tips here Bri

http://www.redkites.net/section72403_17684.html

Might be time to get a few cats Smile

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
21 Dec 2010 - 11:21 PM

I thought this was a thread about Eton Rifles....."sup up your ale and collect your fags, there's a row going on down in Slough etc.."

Don't like the intimation that those who drink and smoke do not feed the birds. I know a Christian vegetarian teatotaller who's never fed a bird in her life.

Seriously yes I completely agree. We're also chucking hay out to a wee wild deer that's been hanging around the garden periphery since the snow came.

Ian.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 9:04 AM

Quote: Don't like the intimation that those who drink and smoke do not feed the birds

I don't think that was Adrian's meaning at all. He was simply pointing out how cheaply we can provide food for the birds.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109967 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 9:09 AM

I put me beer and fags out but the birds didn't seem interested in either! Tongue

(In truth I haven't been able to drink alcohol for the last 7 years and not had a fag for over 15 years and my missus puts more care into feeding the birds than she does me sometimes, costs a fortune Smile )

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
22 Dec 2010 - 1:33 PM

It was in jest digicammad!

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 1:59 PM

Being stuck in the house because of the weather has given me the chance to watch the birds in my garden and I've seen a couple of things that illustrate just how much the birds are struggling.

The first is the number of robins visiting my bird feeders. Robins are notoriously territorial and will defend their territory if other robins come near. However, I have seen 4 robins at the same time all jostling for territorial rights and food. I live in a sparsely populated area and so my garden is the only place where food is being put out and it has obviously attracted incomers. It struck me that they expend so much energy fighting and chasing each other that they must have to eat more just to keep going.

The second is our local buzzard who, presumably driven by hunger, has started attacking the birds feeding in my garden. Twice I have seen it swoop right into the flock of finches, tits, robins, blackbirds etc. in an attempt to catch one. I have seen sparrow-hawks do this often but never a buzzard. On the second occasion that he attacked the flock one unlucky female blackbird flew straight into a window and was killed. He hung around for a while but never came back for his victim.

So yes, spare a thought for the birds and put some food and water out (although I'm not sure how you would help a buzzard). Not quite tuppence a bag but it's not too expensive to help them out.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 2:09 PM

Quote: It was in jest digicammad!

That's okay then. Smile

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85748 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 3:12 PM

Well said Ewan Smile
It needn't be beer or fags either.
Perhaps some folks, buy10 packets of crisps a day, or two bars of chocolate.. Others might buy a bunch of flowers everyday Smile

A very small outlay, might just help to save them from sheer starvation.

For those that do not know, it is the heat energy from the food, when digested, that helps them to survive the extreme conditions.

On the subject of beer & fags, I might be one of those, who has to dramatically reduce their nicotine intake,so as to subsidise Project Coppice Sad
We will see what the new year brings.
That is my personal choice.
All I was trying to do with this thread, was to bring to peoples attention, something that they might not have considered or realised.

Adrian

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 3:24 PM

Also remember that many of use will have ready access to a tray of meaty fat this weekend so let it cool into gunk (mix in some birdseed if you like) and shove it out for the birds Grin

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 3:25 PM

Bird paradise in our garden, we have peanuts, fat feeders, seed feeders, some food on the floor for the dunnocks & blackbird & I've just put some more water out.
We don't get a huge variety, just sparrows, starlings, blackbirds and a couple of dunnocks usually and the occasional robin. But this week we've had a couple of bluetits in and a pied wagtail.
Great idea about the leftover fat from Christmas Dinner, I'll mix some of that with the seed as well.
We also have a good stock of wood pigeons in the garden that the local sparrowhawk is quite partial to.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 22 Dec 2010 - 3:30 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.