Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fags & beer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 7:21 PM

Quote: So whatever/wherever you feed the birds make sure it is kept clean to prevent the spread of disease.

More words of wisdom Grin

I carry a scraper with me at all times, when I top up the feed station. Owt left on the tables is dispatched before I scatter any more.
I also spray the tables and the feeder perches reguarly, with one of the proprietry anti-bacterial brands, that caged birder fanciers normally use.
Get mine from Jollies

Adrian

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Dec 2010 - 7:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 7:35 PM

I'll be up there Christmas morning, with a large tub of live meal worms Grin
They deserve a Christmas present too Wink

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315586 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Dec 2010 - 7:53 PM

I saw 6 red kites on a 2 mile stretch of the A4 today. Nearly hit one of them as it swooped down to take some road kill. Instead I hit a smaller bird that threw itself at me from inside a hedge. Well, it will be food for something else.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315586 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Dec 2010 - 7:54 PM

Did I mention I photographed a glossy ibis this morning ? First one sighted in Berkshire since 1793.

No, I didn't hit it with my car Smile

linky
Sorry for poor quality - it's at ISO 800 and the light was really awful.

Last Modified By Big Bri at 22 Dec 2010 - 7:55 PM
Rev2
Rev2  4220 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 8:00 PM

Quote: I put me beer and fags out but the birds didn't seem interested in either! Tongue

Nice one, they're not having my beer. Wink

I have a tub of RSPB fatballs which seem a bit hard and the birds have been avoiding them so I crushed up a few and spread them over two bird tables and within minutes I had Pied Wagtails, Blackbirds & Coal Tits feeding off them.

This week I've also had a Great-spotted Woodpecker and several Yellowhammer. The Waxwings haven't discovered the Cotoneaster yet, I'm sure I'll come home from work to see it stripped one day!

Great thread Tomcat, thanks for starting it.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315375 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 8:02 PM

Quote: Did I mention I photographed a glossy ibis this morning ? First one sighted in Berkshire since 1793

I should get out and take pictures, the truth is, I don`t have the patience for it. We have a field just up the road, its quite a sight seeing a kite picking up a young rabbit.

Jestertheclown
22 Dec 2010 - 8:07 PM

Quote: Dunnocks will only feed on the ground

Aha! I didn't know that.
I've always been under the impresssion that "Dunnock" was another name for a hedge sparrow, something that's just been confirmed by Mr. Google.
So . . .
If Dunnocks only feed on the ground, what are the birds that I, apparently wrongly, thought were Dunnocks that take the seed from my feeders?
I thought they were Dunnocks 'cos that's what they look like.
Any ideas?

Jester.

tomcat
22 Dec 2010 - 8:18 PM

In reply to Brendan :- They will definitely feed off tables if they are hungry enough Smile or brave enough!
When I was a lad we used to know them as Hedge accentors.

In reply to Dave :- Thanks mateTongue

In reply to Brian :- Well done Sir(Black Ibis) + I am now picking up road kills if I get the chance and putting them in the field - Kite enticement which are in the vicinity

Adrian

Jestertheclown
22 Dec 2010 - 8:32 PM

Thanks Adrian,
I've just been looking at this site.
The photo at the top though, carries a caption describing the bird therein as "dunnock, hedge saprrow and (as you say) hedge accentor" and then repeats that in the opening sentence.
Which is what I thought was the case.
Then, a bit further down, it goes on to say that teling the difference between a Dunnock and a sparrow is difficult as they look very much alike.
Puzzled?
Yes, I am!

. . . and I'm still not sure what the birds are that are hanging from my feeder or eating from trhe branches next to it.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 22 Dec 2010 - 8:34 PM
tomcat
22 Dec 2010 - 8:43 PM

Hi Brendan,
There is a great difference between the two/three species - Dunnock, House Sparrow & Tree sparrow.

As in the image in your link, Dunnocks have that slatey blue breast with a mottled brown colour for the rest of the body.

Sparrows(both) have the distinctive black badges/cheeks - without going into to much detail & a different shaped beak too + Dunnocks sing, Sparrows only "cheep" Wink

Adrian

Metalhead
Metalhead  61876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 8:49 PM

Quote: Lol with wife nearly died earlier, spotted a large rat eating the bird food.

First I`ve seen, they must be getting hungry.

A bit like this, you mean? This was taken 2008 or 9. We had a whole family of them running up and down collecting food...

We bought a humane trap and set them free in woodland a distance away. I didn't exactly promote them being on the garden, but they were still interesting to see.

Haven't seen any more since then. The odd mouse once or twice but that's it now.

Jestertheclown
22 Dec 2010 - 9:01 PM

Quote: There is a great difference between the two/three species - Dunnock, House Sparrow & Tree sparrow.

Thanks again Adrian,

That's something else I've learned!
I actually went to the trouble of acquiring, from a charity shop, a book of British Garden Birds with loads of pictures and information about the various species, so that I might get gto know some of the birds in my garden.

I've just never really got around to it.

tomcat
22 Dec 2010 - 9:07 PM

Quote: We bought a humane trap and set them free in woodland a distance away.

I can appreciate your reasons - up to a point, but Rastus rastus are regarded as vermin.

By letting them loose in an area which could have been devoid of rats, actually creates more problems for the indigenous wildlife

Adrian

fotodayz
fotodayz  6177 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 9:11 PM

don't forget to put apples out too, I have about 50 blackbirds, thrushes, fieldfares in the orchard every day at the moment

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315375 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2010 - 9:13 PM

We have our own apple tree`s and leave those that fall, the munkjack love em.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.