Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fake lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 - 11:35 AM

It appears that the counterfeit pirates are now getting into Nikon lenses.
there wasa recent article ref a chap that had purchased a "new" lens (18-200) from an on line site, the price was only 50 below any other site.
On arrival the lens , the box, and relevant papers looked ok. the lens felt ok and fitted ok it even appeared to take shots ok it was only when downloaded that it appeared there was a focussing issue.
tried to contact seller no number listed.
Took lens to local store "its a fake".
This has put me off buying on any site unless I get to handle the item first.
On the subject of on line sites has anyone any idea why on e=bay there are items being listed at prices higher than new cost

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Jan 2012 - 11:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious
5 Jan 2012 - 11:47 AM

Your thread goes to show that it pays to do research on products and retailers. There are plenty of online reviews for online retailers so there should be now reason to buy 'fake' items online if the retailer doesnt check out correctly. Personally, if i am going to spend 100s of pounds on a lens, I make sure that the retailer is reputable and dont even remove the card from my wallet untill they have been checked thoroughly.

The chap that you mentioned; all his own fault im afraid.

bangalicious
5 Jan 2012 - 11:48 AM

Ref Ebay. Depends what the item is and where it is shipped from. High shipping cost et al.

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2012 - 11:48 AM

Re E-Bay............one word........GREED!!

Hugo
Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 - 12:08 PM

Worth both ways though, in many ways eBay is brilliant, why pay 30 for a Canon remote trigger or lens hood when you can have a "fake" for 4.

davey_griffo
5 Jan 2012 - 12:38 PM

As long as it works, Hugo...
Smile

Carrera_c
Carrera_c  4254 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2012 - 12:49 PM

It is a bit of a tough lesson to learn. If I was that chap I'd be trashing the website I bought it from to every on-line resource I could. I'd also let Nikon know that they're selling counterfeit goods, I'm sure they'd be interested to know.

thewilliam
5 Jan 2012 - 1:45 PM

Scams of any sort can only work when the mark is greedy.

There is a going rate for most things and alarm bells should be ringing whenever a product is offered at a very much better price.

This applies to high-interest saving or investment schemes as well as goods. Check the source carefully and read the small print.

When you pay by credit card, you have numerous safeguards. The merchant will have been thoroughly checked by the card company before being granted the Customer Not Present facility. I know of people who have been refused because their credit rating wasn't good enough. Then, in law, the card company is jointly liable with the merchant for goods between GBP100 and GBP30000.

There's nothing wrong with eBay - it's dead easy to check out a seller and Paypal generally comes down heavily on the side of the buyer. If you do something silly like pay by Western Union, you've only got yourself to blame

User_Removed
5 Jan 2012 - 2:19 PM

IKKY have you got any links to this story of the fake lens?

I don't believe it for a second. I find it incredible that someone could afford to make working counterfeit lenses which only showed a focus issue when you viewed the files on your computer.

keithh
keithh  1022792 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2012 - 2:28 PM

There was an arrest last year in Manchester which concerned fake Canon products which I believe included lenses.

Carrera_c
Carrera_c  4254 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2012 - 3:07 PM

Quote: There was an arrest last year in Manchester which concerned fake Canon products which I believe included lenses.

Yip, here's the story: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Fake_camera_cases_worth_12m_seized_in_...

User_Removed
5 Jan 2012 - 3:11 PM

Cases, lenses unconfirmed. I want to see a link to the story IKKY posted about. It sounds like the sort of thing that camera shop owners spread to put people off internet buying.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 - 3:29 PM

The item was in a mag I read whilst at my dentists a few weeks ago it was an Australian mag not seen it before or since the article did go on to say that the item was sent to Nikon by I believe the Australian Police and that there was an investigation under way.

Chris L you better believe it if there is a profit to be made they will do it.
VAT, import duty etc on an upmarket lens can be hundreds of pounds per item.

Hugo theres a big difference between third party items and fakes Im all for buying an item that does the job regadless of the label most of us have third party lenses etc

As for fakes I doubt if there are many households in Britain where there are not fake items either purchased at the local car boot or from those "freindly" holiday seaside traders, t shirts trainers underwear etc

There was an article on TV "Fake Britain" this week that showed a multi million pound fake golf club rip off also on the same program fake medication and alcohol that could potentially kill again potentially worth millions

garth01
garth01  863 forum posts
5 Jan 2012 - 3:47 PM

I recently watched a video on fstoppers.com where the guy unknowingly bought a fake grip for a d7000 and it came boxed with paperwork,he only realised when he tried to fit a battery tray into it from a genuine grip.After some research he found the same grip advertised as a non OEM part for thirty dollars.take a look as they have put up high res images to show the subtle differences.

Last Modified By garth01 at 5 Jan 2012 - 3:48 PM
NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2012 - 4:10 PM

i think some imorted versions of the lenses are missing serial numbers etc. i suppose it depends where they were intended to be sold.

i have seen a grey import Nikkor 12-24 lens that was bought on e bay in original box that had no serial number but i had no reason to think it fake and it was build exactly the same as mine.

Phil

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.