Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fake Memory Cards Warning

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Looking into buying some extra memory I started becoming acutely aware of some rather cheap prices on normally expensive cards on a certain auction site which got me to wondering how and where these cards can be gotten so cheaply. After literally 10 minutes digging on google i pulled up at least three Honk Kong based companies who will quite happily sell you bulk quantities of fake cards with whatever you want printed on them ( size , make , speed , manufacturer ) and even print the packaging too, they also quite happily tell you that if you buy a card that says 32gb in bulk they are really only 8gb but say 32gb and its up to you if you wish to purchase ( and then sell on lol ).

It seems China has moved on from the undergound fake market and now is expanding the blatantly fake market , why on earth is this allowed to go on and how much more fake rubbish are we being sold. After finding these suppliers i went back on the auction site and soon found sellers selling those cards in the same packaging and advertising them as samsung 32gb cards etc at highly marked up prices.

Simple word of warning if your buying a card online whether its camera or phone read the advert small print reviews and everything - it is an absolute minefield out there !

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 123135 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 8:03 AM

I buy mine from 7dayshop com and they are genuine and an excellent company to deal with.

Ken

pulsar69
21 May 2013 - 8:11 AM

Have always found them to be good too, even the big boys get caught out though , a major supermarket went a bought a bulk load of those cards and looking at the wholesale site its a very convincing design and proposition which would fool most.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72277 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 9:06 AM

Does make you wonder what else is being flogged out of China, that is not what it should be...

pulsar69
21 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Even more so makes you wonder as the cards coming from pretty much the same place as the real ones , how much difference is there from the real one to the fake , and are we the idiots for paying more for the marketing hype advertising and company salaries of the big brand names ?

col.campbell
21 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Quote: Even more so makes you wonder as the cards coming from pretty much the same place as the real ones , how much difference is there from the real one to the fake , and are we the idiots for paying more for the marketing hype advertising and company salaries of the big brand names ?

Yep, but I'm still sending back the counterfeit cards I was recently sold on the Bay of Tears. Wink

After a brief Google search I'm also starting to believe there are an enormous number of counterfeits out there, undoubtedly fuelled by the prices the genuine cards fetch.

Last Modified By col.campbell at 21 May 2013 - 10:51 AM
thewilliam
21 May 2013 - 2:21 PM

Quote: Does make you wonder what else is being flogged out of China, that is not what it should be...

Is China signatory to any of the international intellectual property agreements?

Last time I was in Beijing, a fellow guest has been browsing a computer dealer. When he asked about the brand of the machines of offer, the reply was priceless, "what brand would you like them to be?".

There are factories dedicated to production of fake paintings by living artists.

Sometimes, even big players get caught out. One major pharmaceutical chain was found to be selling fake medications - statins with no therapeutic benefit whatsoever that some customers had been taking for months.

Don't the con-artists say that it's the greedy that get caught out.

collywobles
21 May 2013 - 2:31 PM

Quote: Does make you wonder what else is being flogged out of China, that is not what it should be...

Yeah I agree you have to be careful. I only buy branded goods, my wife bought me a Rolex and I bought her LOUIS VUITTON bag............................ (8o)..

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72277 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 2:49 PM

Quote: One major pharmaceutical chain was found to be selling fake medications - statins with no therapeutic benefit whatsoever that some customers had been taking for months.

Gives new meaning to the placebo effect Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 3:42 PM

Maybe it shows that most stain prescriptions are in fact pointless exercises to make money for someone.

pulsar69
21 May 2013 - 4:47 PM

Right, I am just off to finish drying the paint on this authentic ming dynasty chinese vase which i have just hand-painted ready to sell on Ebay China. Smile

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 4:55 PM

Fake apple stores Apple

loads of Fake theme parks inc Disney world one at one time WOWOW

So what's a few cards, I should imagine our government is to afraid to upset china

thewilliam
21 May 2013 - 5:27 PM

Quote: I should imagine our government is to afraid to upset china

This makes sense!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023044 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 6:59 PM

Fake goods are worth in excess of 500 billion a year and its one of the reasons that tech companies update so regularly - sell the latest version in enough numbers before the counterfeiters get a copy on the market.

China couldn't care less about fake goods even though they keep promising to do something. There are fake goods shopping malls over there for Christ sake.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 7:26 PM

I was taking a look at this subject earlier and it's saying unless china changes its ways, no one will invest in research and its growth will be stunted due to the fact it will never be in the forefront of innovation. So in time it could change

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.