Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fake Memory Cards Warning

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014807 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 7:31 PM

When I order a card on ebay, I add a little note to the seller; if this is a fake card, I will report it to ebay, and the original manufacturer, and will not give you a chance to correct it.

So far it has worked, and in one case, the seller sent me 2 cards for the price of one. It takes a long time for a seller to establish a good rating on ebay, and to lose it could be devastating. Just make sure you choose a seller who presents the product as a 100% genuine branded product.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 May 2013 - 7:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62479 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
22 May 2013 - 8:40 AM

My understanding is most cards work but the "fakes" (some suggest as many as 70% on offer on some web sites) usually to not write or read as fast as the official cards.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

I do like to register my purchases with the manufacturer and use a serial number to do that. Having this facility on memory cards too would be nice.
As pulsar said with the mark-up the original manufactures add they should be able to afford this assurance for customers.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 5:42 PM

EBay will usually refund any dodgy goods - and they'll soon get rid of traders who are causing them hassle. You know what they say about if something sounds too good to be true...

Mind you the worst experience I ever had with a card was a high speed CF Sandisk card I purchased from Jessops about six or seven years ago. I'm not sure if it was an eight or four gig card, but it cost around 140 at the time. Bought on the morning of a wedding, I shot about thirty frames with it and it stopped dead - not only that I couldn't get a thing off it. Fortunately I'd shot the bride's prep, the ceremony and formal shots on another card. I was just shooting some candid stuff outside before the reception.

Sandisk's professional guarantee? They would replace the card. After a few irate exchanges I just took it back to Jessops and got a refund.

I think that sort of guarantee is akin to a photo lab f*ck*ng your negatives and offering to refund the cost of the film. I've mostly used Transcend cards since then, which I've found to be pretty reliable, although they have got more expensive than they once were...

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014807 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 7:53 PM

I have purchased 4 cards to date from a seller in Hong Kong. The prices are very good, but, as you say, not too good to be true. I do lots of research and browsing ebay before I buy, and I know if I'm getting a fair price. Also, the difference in speed of these new Sandisk Extreme Pro and anything else I've ever used is so much so, that I know immediately if it's the genuine article.

mark1b
mark1b  130 forum posts United Kingdom
22 May 2013 - 8:41 PM

when i buy a SD card from sandisk i always double check with them its the real deal. i only buy from reputable companies but always like to double check

thewilliam
23 May 2013 - 9:57 AM

One good way to check is to put the card into a PCMCIA slot of a computer, via a suitable adapter, and do a "safely remove hardware". The dialogue box will give details about the card that can't easily be faked.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.