Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Famous photographers

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
23 Jul 2013 12:27PM

Quote:Maybe Cartier Bresson got where he is because we are told that his photos worked.
And he had access to some of the most important people and occasions of the age. Not many of us get that, and in his day there weren't too many photographers around so he probably got more acclaim than he may have deserved. Obviously he is a great photographer, but not every photograph he took was great.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Jul 2013 12:42PM
Nobody has ever claimed that he or anyone else took nothing but great photos but what gets forgotten is that so many of them were instigators and creators of new styles and fashions in photography.
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
23 Jul 2013 12:58PM
It's a shame that there seems to be such widespread ignorance of the history of the medium....
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
23 Jul 2013 12:59PM

Quote:Nobody has ever claimed that he or anyone else took nothing but great photos but what gets forgotten is that so many of them were instigators and creators of new styles and fashions in photography.
Yes, the ones that started it all off. It must be so difficult to be different these days.
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
24 Jul 2013 11:49AM

Quote: It must be so difficult to be different these days.

It always is. That's why there are so few true innovators.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
24 Jul 2013 4:21PM

Quote:if your average person on the street saw a Cartier Bresson image they wouldnt look at it twice.

Well, it is nice to know that I am not an " average person " as I would certainly look twice or more at Cartier Bresson's images. Wink
SteveCharles 12 2.3k 18 England
24 Jul 2013 4:36PM
I would have just one of Bresson & Bailey's 'average snapshots' over a thousand pictures of an owl every time.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
24 Jul 2013 4:53PM
Why an owl?
But I do agree, a thousand pictures of an owl would be tedious. Especially if it was the same one. Smile
24 Jul 2013 5:42PM

Quote:Why an owl?

It was a reference to the OP's oeuvre.
24 Jul 2013 5:45PM
@JJGEE.....would you look at Cartier Bressons work twice because you know it was taken by Cartier Bresson or just because you like the image????
@SteveCharles...why would you prefer a Cartier Bresson image....because yuo know it was taken by him or because you like his work????

Im not saying that all of his work was just a snap shot, but people shouldnt have to feel that they have to say his work is great just because he took the photograph.
24 Jul 2013 5:46PM
@ Steve Charles....I love birds of prey and evidently do a lot of other people Smile
The owl shots were my first attempt and not my oeuvreSmile
24 Jul 2013 6:28PM

Quote:why would you prefer a Cartier Bresson image....because yuo know it was taken by him or because you like his work????

I like most of Cartier-Bresson's work. If it was by someone else i still would. If you think HCB's work is just snapshots, in the derogatory sense, then you would probably hate Eggleston and Parr, whose work I personally probably like more than HCB's, if I actually considered such things on a scale, which I don't. The reason these photographers are well known, is because the work is good, it has depth. HCB was able to document the human condition with complete mastery of composition and timing, and pretty much invented small format photojournalism. What Keith wrote about Bailey is spot on. Obviously the genres are not to everyone's taste, but what is it exactly you don't like about their work?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Jul 2013 7:14PM
To choose to denigrate the work of the man who invented photo journalism, a photographer to whom thousands owe their living and inspiration to. A first class bloody genius who had a better eye for a photo and an opportunity than any twenty you care to drag out of the bushes, shows a complete non understanding of the hobby you chose to inhabit.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
24 Jul 2013 7:29PM

Quote:To choose to denigrate the work of the man who invented photo journalism, a photographer to whom thousands owe their living and inspiration to. A first class bloody genius who had a better eye for a photo and an opportunity than any twenty you care to drag out of the bushes, shows a complete non understanding of the hobby you chose to inhabit.

Spot on Keith and you've put it far more succinctly than I ever could have done......
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Jul 2013 1:39AM

Quote:To choose to denigrate the work of the man who invented photo journalism

I always believed photo journalism was all ready around before HCB started working in it.

I always thought he had got into photo journalism to help make ends meet while he was an artist, that in turn lead him into the street photography that we all know him for today.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.