Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Famous photographers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023042 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 6:43 AM

Bresson really invented modern photo-journalism as we know it. This is a man who, when he was sent to cover the coronation of George VI, took photos of the crowds and totally ignored the new king.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2013 - 6:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 10:06 AM

Bresson's ace

that's my deep, insightful view Wink

Andyphotography
25 Jul 2013 - 12:24 PM

@ Keithh and Ade-Osman
So because I dont particularly think that his work was brilliant and insightful means I dont have an understanding of of Photography????????????

What utter rubbish!

@Keithh...you are obviously a great fan of HCB and thats up to you, we obviously like different types of work but dont say that he is better than any other photgrapher that I like.

Last Modified By Andyphotography at 25 Jul 2013 - 12:30 PM
Andyphotography
25 Jul 2013 - 12:26 PM

What makes HCBs work any better than somebody who takes similar shots with an IPhone today? The fact that hes HCB?

Andyphotography
25 Jul 2013 - 12:32 PM

Please tell me what is so insightful and great about this image
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=henri+cartier+bresson&qpvt=henri+cartier...

If I took a similar image of my family enjoying a picnic by the river everyone would say its a simple family snap but as HCB took it its amazing!

thewilliam
25 Jul 2013 - 12:33 PM

Quote: Please tell me what is so insightful and great about this image

If I took a similar image of my family enjoying a picnic by the river everyone would say its a simple family snap but as HCB took it its amazing!

You could ask the same question about much modern art!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023042 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 1:01 PM

Bresson recorded Life, everyday life as it was going on around him, everyday people sometimes at work, at play and occasionally the quirky. In the image you choose to highlight, you see a snapshot you could have taken and with all your years of experience in the industry, you know what, you probably could, but you didn't, Bresson got there before you and he took a photo of friends or a family enjoying what in less than two years after that photo was taken would become a thing they could hardly imagine doing again.

No photographer ever imagines that every photo they take is a classic, even Bresson famously cut his own work down to what would fit in a biscuit tin, but sometimes all you need is to illustrate life, to photograph what other people take for granted but one day will want to remember. At its heart, that is what photography is all about and that's what you don't understand. Henri Cartier-Bresson is and was better than most photographers you care to line up working in the same era and beyond.

Last Modified By keithh at 25 Jul 2013 - 1:01 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56484 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 1:06 PM

Quote: Please tell me what is so insightful and great about this image

Who said it was 'insightful'? 'Great'? 'Amazing'?
Sometimes a photo 'just works' and for me that image does just that - I should add that this is the first time I have seen that image. I can give you my own critique on it, but as I say it just works.

I fully agree with your original comment that sometimes a piece of work gets plaudits simply because of who created it (you only need to see how the price of painting can leap or drop by millions if there is ever a discussion about who actually painted it), but when it comes to photography a photographer gets a reputation not from how good their worst is (and they all turn out mundane stuff at times) , but because they turn out high quality ones more than most people.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64441 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 1:12 PM

This is my homage in the style of HCB. But clearly not a masterpiece. Grin
resting-web.jpg

Andyphotography

@Keithh....granted he may have been ahead of some photographers at the time.
I have taken dozens of images similar to the one I have highlighted but none of them would be considered a masterpiece and yet his, still do this day, is just because it has his name to it.
Im sure if you had seen an image of my family having a picnic by a river before you saw the HCB image then you probably would have disregarded it as just a family snap Smile

Last Modified By Andyphotography at 25 Jul 2013 - 2:19 PM
SteveCharles
25 Jul 2013 - 2:32 PM

Why does this thread make me think of this?

mikehit
25 Jul 2013 - 2:36 PM

Quote: but none of them would be considered a masterpiece and yet his, still do this day, is just because it has his name to it.

There are so many things that can destroy the harmony of an otherwise good picture - in the picnic one you linked to, if the guy in the foreground had finished pouring the wine and was lifting the bottle it would have weakened the composition, If the woman on the right was looking out of frame to the right and not at her food, it would have weakened the composition. As it is, all the elements are balanced and when combined they fit (to use that horrible phrase) 'a story'.
If one of those different things I mentioned had happened, maybe HCB would not have even printed the photograph because it didn't work. Maybe he would have printed it and it would not have the plaudits that it has received. But my guess is that even if you got a group of actors to sit there and have a picnic and you took photos of it all day, very few would images would have that something that makes it click.

I guess you could argue that HCB was 'lucky' because you can't plan so many things to come together, but what you need to understand about him is that he was an obsessive. He studied people mercilessly and he learned to predict them, and he developed a sense for when things were about to 'happen': he may not have known what that 'happen' was, but he knew something was about to come together. He coned And that is why he was the one who coined the term 'the decisive moment': he learned to recognise it and he was ready.
Me? I would expect to turn up, see some picnickers, snap away and hope something is the camera.

mikehit
25 Jul 2013 - 2:37 PM

Quote: Why does this thread make me think of this?

Grin

keithh
25 Jul 2013 - 3:21 PM

Quote: I have taken dozens of images similar to the one I have highlighted but none of them would be considered a masterpiece and yet his, still do this day, is just because it has his name to it

No, Andy. Its because yours, as you say, are similar- not better.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64441 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 3:28 PM

Quote: Why does this thread make me think of this?

GrinGrinGrin as well. Says it all really.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.