Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

(Fashion) Photography is Finished

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

petebfrance
5 Dec 2013 - 12:14 PM

Saw this yesterday. (Fashion) Photography as we understand it is finished according to Nick Knight:

BBC Culture

Well, it still exists but is only part of the process of 'Image Making.'

Now, to me a number of things stand out:

1. Here on Epz a lot of togs do a lot of post-processing, whereas to old snappers like me it's a matter of taking a photo and then wondering why the stupid camera doesn't give me what I want. Yes, I'm learning now, but.... Is taking the original pic really only a small part of the 'image Making' process now?

2. I'm sure he's talking about using iPhones or what have you instead of SLRs. Hell, for me the mental image I have of fashion togs is fashionably dressed (60s style, oh dear) SLR wielding (and, photogenic themselves, think nice looking silver and black cameras, David Bailey types and so on) togs. How many of you are going to abandon cameras for iPhones / Phones with apps?

3. What the hell is Instagram?

4. Does this apply to other forms of photography? press, advertising, wedding (oh I can just imagine how impressed the happy coupe would be if the tog turned up with two phones, the second one being for back-up, of course), amateur... surely a large part of the appeal of photography is playing with the toys, isn't it?

5. A while back, there was a suggestion on an(other) internet site that bridge cameras such as the Panasonic FZ200 would be ideal for the Paparazzi. Mm, having a long lens is one thing, but small sensors, not exactly instant response (isn't that iPhone territory too?)....

Interesting, none-the-less?

Last Modified By petebfrance at 5 Dec 2013 - 12:16 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Dec 2013 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022781 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sadly your link appears to be inaccessible from the UK.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
5 Dec 2013 - 12:25 PM

Link no good.

petebfrance
5 Dec 2013 - 12:29 PM

Quote: Sadly your link appears to be inaccessible from the UK.

Oh ***** I wonder why. Can anybody access it direct at the BBC? From my machine (in France) its on the first page of the 'Culture' section of the BBC website
BBC Cult
third item down in the central column with picture of a Blonde with dark lip make-up.
Otherwise I'll ask the mods to delete the thread....

Last Modified By petebfrance at 5 Dec 2013 - 12:30 PM
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95990 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2013 - 12:35 PM

Alas the site isn't accessible to us in the UK

"We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes."

petebfrance
5 Dec 2013 - 12:41 PM

Quote: Alas the site isn't accessible to us in the UK

"We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service and is not funded by the licence fee. It is run commercially by BBC Worldwide, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, the profits made from it go back to BBC programme-makers to help fund great new BBC programmes."

Thank-you. I think the best thing to do will be to delete the thread, then, as a large proportion of Epz users are UK-based.
Really rather annoying as I don't usually pluck up the courage to do this sort of thing......

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2013 - 12:44 PM

This site looks to have very similar content ( accessable in the UK)
http://www.anothermag.com/current/view/3169/Nick_Knight_on_the_Changing_Face_of_Fashion_Photography

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95990 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2013 - 12:51 PM

You may as well leave it be - there's still a fair proportion of non-UK members and Stuart has posted a link that I'll be checking out this evening - (I'm supposed to be working Smile)

petebfrance
5 Dec 2013 - 12:51 PM

Quote: This site looks to have very similar content ( accessable in the UK)
http://www.anothermag.com/current/view/3169/Nick_Knight_on_the_Changing_Face_of_Fashion_Photography

Mm - it isn't the same article. The one on the International site is much shorter and more to the point, but having quickly scanned through the 'accessible in the UK' link the views express seem consistent. Not sure where this leaves things really - could start again with the more accessible article.......

petebfrance
5 Dec 2013 - 12:53 PM

Quote: You may as well leave it be - there's still a fair proportion of non-UK members and Stuart has posted a link that I'll be checking out this evening - (I'm supposed to be working Smile)

Postings crossed - yes, I agree - nothing lost, I guess.....I just need to inform the mods....

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2013 - 2:53 PM

He makes some good points about the instantaneous results achievable with iphone/instagram, which seem acceptable to a lot of current fashion media, especialy the online mags which are becoming more and more popular.
Magazines such as Dazed and Confused, Love, and AnOther are the magazines to look at for anything remotely cutting edge, and are now leading the likes of Vogue, which looks more like an overpriced celeb/interiors magazine by comparison.

The images are more about feel and impact, rather than technical perfection, with good lighting and focus being coincidental.

Contrary to this, though also popular, is the demand for fine detail in retrospective and period fashion editorials, where the finer things like lighting and focus, and a mf camera are still required.
Apparently, there's also a return to film(analogue) photography in the fashion world, but perhaps he did forgot to mention this Smile

puertouk
puertouk  21054 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2013 - 5:01 PM

Ah, living in Tenerife does have it's advantages then! Tongue Don't worry about it Pete, we'll be long gone before the good old Dslr go out of business. Yes, it's very rare nowadays to get an image straight from your camera and print it or put it online before putting it into some type of software to enhance it. All the top togs use Photoshop, so why shouldn't we less mortals use it as well Wink

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2013 - 5:15 PM

And this completely different article, at the end, shows a phone being used for studio shots.

petebfrance
5 Dec 2013 - 5:21 PM

Quote: Ah, living in Tenerife does have it's advantages then!.....

Smile you can read the one in the original link. I think it's shorter and more to the point than the other one even though the sentiments are the same - a sort of 'farewell to the DSLR, hello Smartphone with local apps' whereas here on Epz most folks waving goodbye to their DSLRs appear to be buying MFT thingumies. Maybe the pros at the are dumping the high-end stuff and it's the well-healed amateurs who are buying instead?

Andy_Cundell
5 Dec 2013 - 6:00 PM

What a complete load of tosh! Not your post or link but the content of what the BBC posted!! They won't let us access it because it's not funded by the licence fee?

Grumpy young middle aged man syndrome! Where do I complain!!! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.