Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Faulty CF card

Tony_M e2
10 342 England
30 Nov 2004 6:28AM
I bought a 256Mb Lexar CF card from Amazon.com (info here) about 1 year ago. Recently it stopped working, claiming to be not formatted/not initialized, and refusing to be formatted in either my camera (Fuji S602) or two different card readers connected to two different computers. I have recovered the photos that were on it using file recovery software.

What can I do now? I bought the card from the US site Amazon.com and had it shipped to my American girlfriend, who brought it over here when visiting last Christmas. Amazon do not accept returns on faulty goods after 30 days. The website does state that the card has a "Lifetime limited warranty". I've checked with Lexar.com about the warranty details . Unfortunately, I didn't register my product with them, and I don't think I have the receipt either. Oops.

Should I just go out and buy a new one?

Tony

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sabretalon e2
10 1.9k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 6:55AM
Check with Amazon to see if you can get a copy of your receipt first. Try contacting Lexar and explain your problem and see if they can help?
Glamrox e2
10 304 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 7:13AM
Check the Your Account section on Amazon and get the order number , once you have that can contact them to get a copy. It should be that simple (unless of course you get one of the outsourced customer service centres). All else fails email Mr Bezos himself Smile
Tony_M e2
10 342 England
30 Nov 2004 7:17AM
Thanks for the advice. I checked the "My Account" section at Amazon.com, and they only have info on orders I've placed in the last 12 months. I might see if I can email them and ask for a receipt though. I can also look back through my bank statements for the order number I suppose.
BOB S e2
12 2.6k
30 Nov 2004 7:42AM
If the card has a lifetime warranty surely it does not matter when you bought the card, you have the card as proof of purchase ! It has stopped working during its lifetime so should be replaced by Lexar - registered or not.

Have you spoken to Lexar ? they will probably replace the card if you are nice to them.

It clearly states in thier warranty statement Customer must have proof of purchase and obtain warranty service authorization from Lexar within the applicable warranty period as the warranty period is lifetime all you need is proof of purchase, Amazon should be able to provide this.

BOB
sabretalon e2
10 1.9k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 7:48AM
Ah but BOB, lifetime warranty can mean lots of things, especially if you do not have the official documentation that came with it.

It could be that Lexar admits that their 256 cards have a life expectancy of 12 months and anything after is a bonus but is outside of its lifetime warranty as it's lifetime is only considered 12 months! Is there anything that says what lifetime is for their products?

How would Lexar know if you bought the product through legit sellers or from someone who all of a sudden found a package that had fallen off the back of a lorry?

I do agree that they probably would replace if they were asked nicely but they may insist on proof of purchase.
BOB S e2
12 2.6k
30 Nov 2004 7:53AM
Glenn,

Have a look at the link provided to the Lexar site - it is quite clear ! unless you live in Germany where the limit to the warranty is 10 years !! (thats a shame)

Yes they certainly will want proof of purchase but Amazon should be able to do this>

BOB
tezza e2
11 569 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 10:38AM
Like everything Tony things do fail and I think there was a similar question on this site recently.

Have you tried formatting it in a totally different camera? If you don't have one do you know anyone that does?

As someone said, check out the Lexar website which might help or at the very least call them or send an email for help.

Terry
Tony_M e2
10 342 England
21 Feb 2005 1:27PM
To finish off this discussion for the benefit of any future readers, I contacted Lexar by email. After confirming that I could not reformat the card myself, they asked for the card to be returned to Lexar (in the US), and promptly sent out a replacement by FedEx, which arrived today. They did not ask for evidence of purchase, although I supplied it just to be sure.

Tony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.