Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Favourite insect?

alistairfarrugia 2 164 88 Malta
6 Nov 2012 12:37PM
Thought I'd get the ball rolling here. What's the insect (or bug) that you most like to shoot?

I think mine would be butterflies, but I have to get used to waking up early to catch them while they're low on energy. Being from Malta, they warm up pretty quickly here. It's November and it's still 25 Celsius outside!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Nov 2012 12:44PM
I'll go with butterflies - I suspect a majority would. Smile But I don't have the skill/patience unfortunately. Sad
6 Nov 2012 12:45PM
Yeah... that's something I have to work on too... I think my tutor was very right when he told us that photography needed a LOT of patience. He wasn't wrong on that count for sure.
llareggub 4 756 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 12:57PM
Dragonflies, Praying Mantis and Wasps Smile

Sadly lacking on decent pictures of dragonflies this year as we had none visit us Sad
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 1:04PM
Bees, Hoverflies,Dragons & Damsels,Butterflies (in fact anything small that flies Grin )
petebfrance 2 1.3k United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 1:15PM
Butterflies for me too. All of them are taken during the day when the sun is out (because I don't get up early and the camera is pretty poor in anything but good light) and they are perhaps a little over-active, but they have to feed sometime and that's usually when I manage to photograph them. It helps that my wife is a keen gardener, as having the right plants really helps - they come to me! We are planning to get some more plants that are supposed to attract butterflies (if we remember to order the seeds in time). The bridge camera helps because it's very quiet, and with a 386mm equiv lens it isn't necessary to get too close.
Pete
6 Nov 2012 1:43PM
Nice pictures there, particularly the praying mantis. I wish I came across those as I would love shooting them, love that insect's very particular and unique shape. Smile

As regards wasps, we have plenty of those and I have to say thanks to photography I sort of managed to beat my phobia of wasps as taking their pictures necessitates getting up close. Got some wasp-pictures on my portfolio too.

These two were taken at the same time, I played around with interpreting the pictures through the positions of the wasps... Smile

"Outcast"

"Between you and me"

This one could be a bee, rather than a wasp, but I'm not 100% sure.
"Immersed"

And finally, another wasp.
"Scouting for food"

Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 1:49PM
I like praying mantis too..................you might be able to tell from my Avatar!Smile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Nov 2012 1:53PM
praying mantis is cool.... always look like they are kong fu fighting.
6 Nov 2012 1:54PM
Love that Avatar, really cool lol!
tkadhim 6 7 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 1:59PM
Dragon flies and the oh so cute jumping spiders. But, like Carabosse I don't have the patience/skill to snap them.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 2:20PM
Pond skaters are excellent in context, i just found out that one species of them - Halobates live on the open sea eating plankton, they really do have sea legs.

OK not an insect but nice:

6 Nov 2012 2:30PM
Very nice colours on that crab spider!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Nov 2012 2:48PM

Quote:Pond skaters are excellent in context

But fairly tricky to photograph well. Here's my effort - taken with my compact. My system camera + macro lens would have been better.

ps.jpg

bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
6 Nov 2012 3:03PM
I like Hover-flies.dsc-8982---epz-copy.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.