Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Favourite insect?

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Nov 2012 10:54PM

Quote:Pondskaters

Excellent pic, Ian. Smile I am definitely going to have another try with more suitable equipment.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Nov 2012 8:15PM
All good stuff.Grin

Denny
johnke 1 55 9 South Africa
24 May 2013 9:50AM
I would have to go with the Humming Bird Hawk Moth. Certainly one of the most difficult, fast and almost impossible little Beastie's I have ever tried to capture.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 10:07AM
Those pictures are stunning, johnke. Did you use a infra-red trigger of some sort?
24 May 2013 3:12PM
Hi Mike, no nothing special used, just a lot of time and memory, taken in manual with out AF as that's the only way to be fast enough to get a shot. Most times the insect has gone before the AF kicks in so manual was the only way. Also they have no pattern and never land, so its mostly a lot of luck and patience...John
24 May 2013 3:18PM

A Baby Golden Or

A 5" Female
24 May 2013 3:20PM
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 3:22PM
My favourites here are dragonflies, but I'd love to see an emergence of periodical cicadas. This year the eastern US is due for one, but I'll not be able to see it Sad
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 4:13PM
Not what you're asking for but this one's from the Med Smile

-dsc9819.jpg

24 May 2013 4:23PM
1361.jpg

If any one can tell me what these are and what they are doing I would be a happy man?
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 4:26PM

Quote:If any one can tell me what these are and what they are doing I would be a happy man?

Well, its a Bee of some species and its feeding on Lavender - but I wonder if you have the right picture up as there is only one and I would have thought the ID was pretty straightforward?
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
24 May 2013 5:37PM

Quote:If any one can tell me what these are and what they are doing I would be a happy man?

Common Carder Bee - Bombus pascuorum...........I think???Tongue

Where was it taken??
24 May 2013 6:17PM
Hi Ade at last someone with a little knowledge. It was taken in South Africa. The black and white stripes seem to be some kind of Hover Bee or Fly, well at least that's what I was trying to capture. Looking under the body at the rear of the black and white stripes you will see the normal colors of the honey bee ie a golden color. The reason I asked what these are is that I have never seen any bee's with two different bodies. One with Black and white stripes and one with yellow and black stripes. It looks like one is sitting on the other.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
24 May 2013 6:22PM
I'll do some research and look in my books etc, but won't promise anything being as it's from SA Smile
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
24 May 2013 6:54PM
Bees ain't my speciality by any stretch of the imagination, I much prefer my moths and bugs as you're probably aware Smile However I think I might have narrowed it down somewhat, despite it being black and white on the thorax I believe it from the genus Amegilla otherwise known as blue banded bees. Apparently there are quite a lot of different sub-species, but I believe if you do a Google image search for Amegilla you should see what I'm getting at Smile Give me a moth anytime Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.