Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Favourite insect?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2012 - 10:54 PM

Quote: Pondskaters

Excellent pic, Ian. Smile I am definitely going to have another try with more suitable equipment.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Nov 2012 - 10:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014648 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 8:15 PM

All good stuff.Grin

Denny

johnke
johnke  154 forum posts South Africa9 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2013 - 9:50 AM

I would have to go with the Humming Bird Hawk Moth. Certainly one of the most difficult, fast and almost impossible little Beastie's I have ever tried to capture.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Those pictures are stunning, johnke. Did you use a infra-red trigger of some sort?

johnke
24 May 2013 - 3:12 PM

Hi Mike, no nothing special used, just a lot of time and memory, taken in manual with out AF as that's the only way to be fast enough to get a shot. Most times the insect has gone before the AF kicks in so manual was the only way. Also they have no pattern and never land, so its mostly a lot of luck and patience...John

johnke
24 May 2013 - 3:18 PM

A Baby Golden Or A 5" Female

johnke
24 May 2013 - 3:20 PM

Female

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2013 - 3:22 PM

My favourites here are dragonflies, but I'd love to see an emergence of periodical cicadas. This year the eastern US is due for one, but I'll not be able to see it Sad

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122229 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2013 - 4:13 PM

Not what you're asking for but this one's from the Med Smile

-dsc9819.jpg

johnke
24 May 2013 - 4:23 PM

1361.jpg

If any one can tell me what these are and what they are doing I would be a happy man?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: If any one can tell me what these are and what they are doing I would be a happy man?

Well, its a Bee of some species and its feeding on Lavender - but I wonder if you have the right picture up as there is only one and I would have thought the ID was pretty straightforward?

Last Modified By brian1208 at 24 May 2013 - 4:27 PM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2013 - 5:37 PM

Quote: If any one can tell me what these are and what they are doing I would be a happy man?

Common Carder Bee - Bombus pascuorum...........I think???Tongue

Where was it taken??

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 24 May 2013 - 5:40 PM
johnke
24 May 2013 - 6:17 PM

Hi Ade at last someone with a little knowledge. It was taken in South Africa. The black and white stripes seem to be some kind of Hover Bee or Fly, well at least that's what I was trying to capture. Looking under the body at the rear of the black and white stripes you will see the normal colors of the honey bee ie a golden color. The reason I asked what these are is that I have never seen any bee's with two different bodies. One with Black and white stripes and one with yellow and black stripes. It looks like one is sitting on the other.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2013 - 6:22 PM

I'll do some research and look in my books etc, but won't promise anything being as it's from SA Smile

Ade_Osman
24 May 2013 - 6:54 PM

Bees ain't my speciality by any stretch of the imagination, I much prefer my moths and bugs as you're probably aware Smile However I think I might have narrowed it down somewhat, despite it being black and white on the thorax I believe it from the genus Amegilla otherwise known as blue banded bees. Apparently there are quite a lot of different sub-species, but I believe if you do a Google image search for Amegilla you should see what I'm getting at Smile Give me a moth anytime Tongue

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 24 May 2013 - 6:55 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.