Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fee for a wedding?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    THIRDEYE
    THIRDEYE  835 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Sep 2013 - 8:18 PM

Hi all

Probably been asked many times before! But what would be a reasonable rate to charge for a wedding?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Sep 2013 - 8:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 8:36 PM

That would be impossible to answer without a lot more detail. Your experience, your style , the venue/s , number of hours , travel , album, prints , customer requirements , the list goes on .... I would say charge what you think you and your time are worth.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 9:56 PM

What is a reasonable rate for some food

aberdaron59
    16 Sep 2013 - 12:14 AM

if you are asking don't do it !!! back up friends & family events
    believe me it will not be long before IF you take it serious you are
    on par or better than the pro.
    feedback will tell you if you can cut it.

puertouk
    puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2013 - 11:10 AM

If you get it wrong, which I guess you could well do, do not do it. If you ruin the big day for the couple, it is on your shoulders and they could even sue you, so be very careful. Go as a second shooter and get some experience and take a close look at what is involved before diving into the deep end. You need various lenses, 2 camera bodies, flash equipment etc. Give it a miss and let the pro's do it.

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Sep 2013 - 11:57 AM

Im guessing you are doing this for a friend or colleague.
    Well the quick answer is DONT as others have said you could ruin it for the couple.
    By all means offer to go along but not as THE photographer. its a big day for them and they will be well narked if you get it wrong.
    If you want, try to get in with the professional on the day, perhaps as an unpaid assistant. This was the route I took and swiftly realised that without the right kit i.e second body, lenses reflectors flash etc etc its not possible to produce the standards that the lady of the day expects.
    Having said all that and you still want to go ahead you will possibly be committing yourself to a recce of the venues, service and reception, plus
    6-10hrs on the day ( bride at home getting ready, the service, wedding breakfast, evening disco etc) and then all the printing, mounting etc possibly another 10hrs.
    So ask yoursef if you were at work for say 3 days what would you earn then double it.
    Perhaps now you see why a professional charges what they do.
    By the way I decided not to pursue this route as due to the very large numbers of "profs" operating in this area its very difficult to get work at rates that justify the commitment needed to produce good work

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023045 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2013 - 12:32 PM

Everybody has to do their first wedding at some point.

The only question is- are you ready and if so, at what price? You'll have to supply the answers.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2013 - 12:46 PM

my first wedding was 650 - probably 8-10 years ago now....

I'd referred someone I know as he did weddings - though I'd not really checked out his photographs. HUGE MISTAKE by the way.... never refer anyone unless you're 100% confident in them....

Turns out that they were "distinctly ordinary and unimaginative" - as in, no huge mistakes, but pretty "beige" in style....

He was charging 650

I got bribed into doing it with the same fee... really didn't want to be honest, but ended up having a brilliant day, created some cool stuff and the B&G loved it...

I had however been shooting a good few years and knew how a camera worked at this point.... which is something worth bearing in mine.

I didn't think I was ready - turns out I was... god help anyone who isn't ready, would be a truly horrific experience not knowing what to do whilst 50-100 people look at you, hating every second they are away from the bar Wink

THIRDEYE
    THIRDEYE  835 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Sep 2013 - 5:10 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Well I have just added some images I took as a second shooter recently, and it was as a result of these images and the feedback I received, that I thought it may be time to fly solo as they say!!
    I spent the full day working from bride prep to the end of the evening function. So I DO understand the work load involved. Please take a look www.picseye.com

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.