Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Feedback

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 5:33 PM

I've now had time to digest the six pages of comments that I extracted and converted to one line bullet points from the Wasted Talent thread comprising reasons for less activity and suggestions for improvement.

In summary the main reasons for less activity that we have some degree of control over are:

Awards (trust, justification, fairness)
Unbalance of voted pics in RC arena (great pictures neglected /poor pics with high scores)
Site design (KISS, ugly, unprofessional, messy, complicated)
Gallery (No tier , no place to go for advanced, not prominent on site, too cluttered, small pic restricted)
Adverts (too many, too much space taken)

We had many suggested improvements
It's clear that we need to create a less complex system with fewer galleries, easier signposting and cleaner design with fewer adverts
We also need to consider the RC Award and EC/HC choice.
And provide a place to aim for when uploading for those who want inspiration/and to achieve a higher quality level

Our plan of action
We will be working out what affect providing a totally advert free gallery will have on advertising. And if it's viable will introduce that. This will be done once the final steps of V5 are complete. The beta gallery test is now complete so that will be going live once all the images have been imported into the new framework. This should be by the end of next week. The new gallery has some improvements that will help such as adjustable size thumbnails, exif data, larger viewing area option to opt out of votes.

We are also going to redo the home page shortly after which will bring much more prominence to the gallery and community aspects of the site.

Now to votes and awards.
I will attempt to provide a detailed comment on every photo I give an award to.

We have an idea that we will run by you for more feedback. The following is at the thought stage and not confirmed action.
The reader choice is really a vote for a like (sometimes the photographer, sometimes the image, sometimes the concept, sometimes the situations, sometimes the reflex response) and, as suggested, not always really an award for quality as such. So our solution is to change this so that it is what it suggests...a "like" button.

To balance this out we will extend user awards to all members and extend the limit from one per week to one per day. Each member can shortlist pictures throughout the day and give the award at any time. The emphasis will be placed on the award being given to what they consider the best and not just because they are friends with the person etc. The user award will then negate the need for a Guest Editor as everyone will become Guest Editors as such. We may keep the Guest Editor option and use it for invites for respected photographers of specific genres. User awards will be monitored and if anyone is abusing the system they could lose the right to award pics.

How does this all sound?

Last Modified By Pete at 6 Jan 2011 - 5:34 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2011 - 5:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 5:43 PM

Good so far.....

digipix76
digipix76  7577 forum posts England
6 Jan 2011 - 6:06 PM

Quote: Good so far.....

Agree

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 6:15 PM

Some good ideas there. It will be interesting watching them develop.

CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 6:19 PM

I also agree.

Phil_Restan
6 Jan 2011 - 6:25 PM

Look foreward to seeing most of this in action, especially the extra user awards and guest editors becoming extinct. Some very good ideas to work on.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 6:27 PM

just to clarify Pete, is the RC gallery going to end if the "like" concept takes over?

User_Removed
6 Jan 2011 - 6:30 PM

I too agree - particularly in the area of:

Quote: It's clear that we need to create a less complex system with fewer galleries, easier signposting and cleaner design with fewer adverts

That said, I thinks it's a fair (general) assumption to say that we realise that the Advertising revenues are a large slice of the income for the business and, whilst appreciating the efforts under discussion, this area may be the most difficult to do a lot with! Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Jan 2011 - 6:34 PM
ejtumman
ejtumman  102756 forum posts England
6 Jan 2011 - 6:42 PM

The simpler the better..... I'd like to see the RC Gallery vanish too, as I remember when we didn't have it Smile But that's just my 2cents.....

E

user_absconded
6 Jan 2011 - 8:34 PM

Sounds good to me, having been awol for a while, I'm finding the site rather disorganised and cluttered. Good news for the return to the old days of a 'like' button. I'm not particularly bothered about adverts (unless they move and bother/distract me, and then they get zapped).

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 8:38 PM

very interesting indeed Smile

I quite like the idea of the daily U.A's

There are several images I have seen over the last couple of days, that I would have normally shortlisted.
However, I already have one on my shortlist, that I refuse to ignore, until the time comes to award itTongue

Adrian

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 8:45 PM

Sounds good.

Though you haven't really give any more suggestion/plan/idea for

Quote: And provide a place to aim for when uploading for those who want inspiration/and to achieve a higher quality level

like you did for others (layout, RC, comments, UA etc).

Advertisements do not really bother me that much. If advert free gallery is not possible, then maybe make it advert free for E2 members? After all, we are paying.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 8:47 PM

I forgot to add, that I have gone days, without selecting any image for shortlisting for a U.AGrin

Quote: User awards will be monitored and if anyone is abusing the system they could lose the right to award pics.

This is OK , if the T & C's are clearly spelt out.

What if for example , a particular member uploads three/four consecutive shots, that in the eye of another member are all worthy of a U.A ?

Do they get penalised for being honest & open?

Last Modified By tomcat at 6 Jan 2011 - 8:52 PM
looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 8:59 PM

Quote: I quite like the idea of the daily U.A's

Problem with that is only E2 members would be allowed to vote unless the restriction was lifted.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 9:01 PM

Pete said...

Quote: To balance this out we will extend user awards to all members

so looking like everyone will get it Luis

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.