Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Feedback on re-designed website

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ChazB
    ChazB  864 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2011 - 8:36 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm still very busy trying to get things sorted before moving and starting my new life down in Surrey, so sorry that I haven't been around uploading and commenting much recently. However, I did get the chance earlier today to completely re-design my website. It had been pretty much the same since I first started using it back in 2008 and whilst I know many of you probably won't have seen the old one, I would really appreciate some feedback on it's new look! It is Photium (as some people will be able to tell from a mile away!) so I'm limited in what I can do, but any comments on the overall appearance/how easy it is to navigate/any possible changes would be great!

The website can be found at www.charlottebrettphotography.co.uk

Many thanks for your time!

Charlotte

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Aug 2011 - 8:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_H
    Chris_H  101471 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2011 - 9:45 PM

Hi Charlotte,

I have had a quick look and your site looks really good, its laid out well, quick and easy to navigate and I like the fresh feel & colours it suits your images. You have some lovely vibrant images on there too.

pluffy
    pluffy  7118 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Aug 2011 - 8:57 AM

Wonderful site, some amazing images.

Steve.

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Aug 2011 - 9:09 AM

Nice looking site, well laid out and good images too. There are a couple of minor issues.

I think 3rd person commentary on a single photographer website is a questionable technique. It can come across as pretentious and personally I would avoid it. If you do want to use it you need to be absolutely consistent and on your Saddleworth page you talk about "our photographs". On your 'About' page you revert totally to 1st person and talk about "my website".

If you intend this to be a professional site, rather than just a way to display your photos, you should consider whether a guestbook sends out the right message.

HTH

Ian

GavChap
    GavChap  230 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Aug 2011 - 5:16 PM

I don't like the third person approach either. It's a clean looking site, like the logo, however I don't like right click being disabled.

User_Removed
    17 Aug 2011 - 5:37 PM

Quote: I don't like the third person approach either

Neither do I, same reasons as Ian. Is it a Photium thing? Does the sample / starter site do that?

You've done well to make a Photium site look fairly unique. Your pictures are great, let them do the talking.

ChazB
    ChazB  864 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Aug 2011 - 9:10 PM

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to look and leave a comment here, it really is very helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks Ian, Gav and Chris L for the input on writing in the 3rd person. On the 'about' page I had intended to leave a personal message signing it with my name at the bottom, leaving the rest of the site in the 3rd person, but I'm perhaps now inclined to make the whole site singular after your comments. Chris L, yes the Photium templates all have their homepage standard text in the 3rd person which is probably why many people copy that format, thinking it's the best thing to do (including me!).

Ian, I can see where you're coming from about having the guestbook. I think I'll leave it there for the time-being but will keep your suggestion in the back of my mind. At the moment and for many many years to come I'm not intending to solely be a professional photographer (I've only just finished being a student afterall!) but if it means getting the right image, then I will remove.

Thanks again! Charlotte

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Aug 2011 - 9:09 AM

No problem Charlotte and thanks for responding to our comments.

Ian

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.