Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Feedback on re-designed website

ChazB e2
9 64 3 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2011 8:36PM
Hi everyone,

I'm still very busy trying to get things sorted before moving and starting my new life down in Surrey, so sorry that I haven't been around uploading and commenting much recently. However, I did get the chance earlier today to completely re-design my website. It had been pretty much the same since I first started using it back in 2008 and whilst I know many of you probably won't have seen the old one, I would really appreciate some feedback on it's new look! It is Photium (as some people will be able to tell from a mile away!) so I'm limited in what I can do, but any comments on the overall appearance/how easy it is to navigate/any possible changes would be great!

The website can be found at www.charlottebrettphotography.co.uk

Many thanks for your time!

Charlotte

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_H 11 1.5k 1
16 Aug 2011 9:45PM
Hi Charlotte,

I have had a quick look and your site looks really good, its laid out well, quick and easy to navigate and I like the fresh feel & colours it suits your images. You have some lovely vibrant images on there too.
pluffy 7 131 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2011 8:57AM
Wonderful site, some amazing images.

Steve.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2011 9:09AM
Nice looking site, well laid out and good images too. There are a couple of minor issues.

I think 3rd person commentary on a single photographer website is a questionable technique. It can come across as pretentious and personally I would avoid it. If you do want to use it you need to be absolutely consistent and on your Saddleworth page you talk about "our photographs". On your 'About' page you revert totally to 1st person and talk about "my website".

If you intend this to be a professional site, rather than just a way to display your photos, you should consider whether a guestbook sends out the right message.

HTH

Ian
GavChap 3 30 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2011 5:16PM
I don't like the third person approach either. It's a clean looking site, like the logo, however I don't like right click being disabled.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2011 5:37PM

Quote:I don't like the third person approach either

Neither do I, same reasons as Ian. Is it a Photium thing? Does the sample / starter site do that?

You've done well to make a Photium site look fairly unique. Your pictures are great, let them do the talking.
ChazB e2
9 64 3 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2011 9:10PM
Many thanks to you all for taking the time to look and leave a comment here, it really is very helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks Ian, Gav and Chris L for the input on writing in the 3rd person. On the 'about' page I had intended to leave a personal message signing it with my name at the bottom, leaving the rest of the site in the 3rd person, but I'm perhaps now inclined to make the whole site singular after your comments. Chris L, yes the Photium templates all have their homepage standard text in the 3rd person which is probably why many people copy that format, thinking it's the best thing to do (including me!).

Ian, I can see where you're coming from about having the guestbook. I think I'll leave it there for the time-being but will keep your suggestion in the back of my mind. At the moment and for many many years to come I'm not intending to solely be a professional photographer (I've only just finished being a student afterall!) but if it means getting the right image, then I will remove.

Thanks again! Charlotte
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2011 9:09AM
No problem Charlotte and thanks for responding to our comments.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.