Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Feeling a failure when client goes elsewhere

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

trivets12
trivets12  101155 forum posts
23 Feb 2013 - 9:17 PM

I've recently been turned down by a potential client and, I know it sounds a bit pathetic, but I feel such a failure when this happens. I make a huge effort to be dressed smartly, approachable, friendly etc., but this particular client has made me feel quite awful. I don't want to go into details but I feel really disappointed with myself for not getting the booking.
I know I'm not a 'top end' photographer and don't charge anywhere near those sort of prices. Am I overpriced, underpriced or just not good enough?
Confidence crisis going on..........

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2013 - 9:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

I recently did 3 emails with a potential client, travelled 60 miles to meet her and as I arrived she emailed me to say she had been at a wedding show and had booked another photographer!

The truth is that the biggest thing you have to do is just put yourself out there, and that involves you getting a knock from time to time Sad

Someone better will be along soon!...

trivets12
23 Feb 2013 - 9:37 PM

That is annoying. Mine is a similar situation. The bride said she had spent ages looking at my website and she wasn't looking at any other photographer and was really keen to book but would like to meet today. I've waited all day for her to ring and wasted a free day. In the end I rang her at 5.30 and left a message. She phoned me back at 7.30 to say she'd been to the wedding dress shop and was going to book a photographer associated with the owners, and how good she was being in phoning me when she could have just left it! Her attitude was completely different to Wednesday, almost as though she was angry with me!
Quite strange.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 9:39 PM

trivets12 there are millions of reasons a potential client will turn you down, and "not being good enough" isn't one you should immediately assume.

you don't say if the client approached you ? but if they did, then they would surely have had some idea of your work, so its discounts "Not being good enough"
if you approached them and they did not slam the door shut after seeing your work then again discount "Not being good enough".
"Over priced" "Under priced" or, is the Client Broke?, or on an ego trip, or just plain time wasting ( a lot of people do that, and pass it off to themselves as "browsing")

The art of the sale is to spot when the eye contact drifts, someone who wants something from another makes a lot of unwavering eye contact,
think about how you would watch the assistant go to get the camera you were intending to buy, and then compare it with how you might look around a camera shop when making an enquiry about a camera that maybe you might buy.

Human nature, we stare at things we desire, we glance at things that mildly interest us.
Perhaps the potential client "was not good enough?"
Chin up and your PF on here looks good to me.

trivets12
23 Feb 2013 - 10:17 PM

The client found me and approached me and was very keen, particularly about my pricing. Just put it down to experience, I guess.

gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6536 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 10:20 PM

I am no expert but I have just looked at your P/F and believe me you not being good enough is not the reason.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 11:29 PM

Don't be put off by this. These things happen. Look at your conversion rate and hopefully it should be around 50%. Taking into account those that are not yet ready to book and those that might choose another photographer and those that never get round to the whole wedding thing! If it's higher then that is excellent. One question you can always ask is what made them choose the other photographer and use this information next time. Unfortunately we can't just be photographers we have to be sales people as well.

We always dress really smart for wedding fairs but purposefully will be smart/casual when meeting clients in their home. The reason for this is that we want them to feel as relaxed as possible and see us as friendly and approachable. For many years I wore a suit to meet people in their homes and this was for a completely different line of business and for that it was necessary. Smile

thewilliam
23 Feb 2013 - 11:32 PM

When the prospect is out of earshot, shout some Anglo Saxon profanities and then say, "NEXT PLEASE".

monkeygrip
24 Feb 2013 - 12:09 AM

To run a successful wedding photography business you have to have many skills and it doesn't matter how good a photographer you are if you have no one to shoot.

If you ask any experienced sales person they will tell you that most customers/clients dont just hand over their money because they like your work.

I would agree with the previous comments that it wouldn't point to a lack of photographic skill but if the client approached you and was happy with your work then you let them off the hook and need to brush up on the old sales technique.

Just ask for the booking during the meeting at least if they say no thanks you can focus on booking the next one. If they tell you they need more time tell them politely to get a move on because you get new enquiries daily and may not have their date free for long.

Don't take the rejection personally you can't win em all.Wink

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Feb 2013 - 1:08 AM

As others have said having looked at your portfolio I don't think the quality of your work has anything to do with it. To be honest unless your a mind reader your not going to know the real reason and it's not worth dwelling over as your time is too valuable.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 1:37 AM

Quote: That is annoying. Mine is a similar situation. The bride said she had spent ages looking at my website and she wasn't looking at any other photographer and was really keen to book but would like to meet today. I've waited all day for her to ring and wasted a free day. In the end I rang her at 5.30 and left a message. She phoned me back at 7.30 to say she'd been to the wedding dress shop and was going to book a photographer associated with the owners, and how good she was being in phoning me when she could have just left it! Her attitude was completely different to Wednesday, almost as though she was angry with me!
Quite strange.

So they are booking the tog that has a connection with the shop they are also buying the frock at, looks like they were offered a bit of a deal?
Might be worth you leaving a few business cards with your local bridal shops ? maybe cultivation a friendly working relationship?
Could be a good source of potential clients?

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
24 Feb 2013 - 7:48 AM

Just priced one. met Bride & Groom found out the venue's and timing's - they said they will let me know.
Well let me tell them I don't want it -- bad timing's - poor venue - ect . all arranged before and the photographer thrown in as an after thought. they will expect a silk purse from a Sow's ear.
Don't worry if your client has gone elsewhere move on it would have to be something special for me to worry about it.
Another one priced and then told me she could get one of her friends' to do it for a couple of hundred quid. then told her friend who was invited to the wedding that they could do it as their wedding present, ( cheeky B----r ) Tongue

trivets12
24 Feb 2013 - 9:18 AM

Thanks for your comments. Other things were said by this bride which made me feel really small and stupid. I think she has affected me because she was so keen and positive to start with, then literally overnight she changed completely and almost had a go at me for not being what she wanted.
Very odd girl, and now that I've slept on it, I'm glad I'm not shooting it 'cos I think she could turn out to be a nightmare.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 9:44 AM

All sound advice, move on to the next - however from what I am gleaning from the conversation you need to look into the dress shop and their recommend - it could well be a family member or someone close and they could be purposely downing your photography in some way to get the booking. We have had such experience including with local photographers who we know have gone as far as to send pretend clients out to work out how we get work ! It all goes on in this game and you have to take it on the chin but just keep an eye on whats going on too so you can counter it.

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9171 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hi Trudy

I have just read your post and then looked at some of your recent EPZ images. For the most part I think they are creative, well composed and beautiful where this was clearly your intention. I am not sure that the little boy on the stairs is meant to look beautiful! I think he is meant to look a little devil ... a boys boy... which he does by his attitude and clever lighting (I love it). In short I don't think there is anything wrong with your photography or technique.

One little suggestion you might like to consider is perhaps applying a slight warming tone to some pure black and white monochrome images. I do a lot of monochrome work and I most usually do this by applying the Photo Filter as a Photoshop Adjustment layer. In fact the one the warming filter that comes up by default is frequently fine for my needs in that it just takes off a little off the harshness.

Having said all that, this little tip does not detract from my previous remarks. Your work is fine! Don't let this "rejection" get you down. It happens in business and judging by the other comments you make about what happen, perhaps you should content yourself by the fact that probably you are better off without this job anyway.

All the best
Roy

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.