Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Film, digital or both?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
fatherpie
fatherpie  6 England12 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2010 - 10:05 PM

A light-hearted question really for this late hour ... do you shoot digitally, with film or, like myself, with both? I mainly use a couple of Canon DSLRs but more recently have acquired a Mamiya RB67 medium format film camera which I use alongside a Canon AE1 (35mm SLR) and a Rollei 35B (35mm rangefinder - as tiny as the Mamiya is big).

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Aug 2010 - 10:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2010 - 10:23 PM

I got into photography the digital way and I've mostly stuck to working in digital and building up my digital camera gear and setup. I understand computers (well at least how to use programs) and digital photography better than I do chemicals and film stuff.

However I've also acquired a hand down of a film camera body and have picked up a handfull of old gear from around the place and one day will probably get into the film side of things. Its just not a burning pressure nor desire to learn that area of photography as yet (I'm sure the time will come)

justin c
justin c  104510 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2010 - 10:39 PM

100% digital now, and for the last few years, but keep meaning to dust off the EOS 5 and get some of the Fuji Velvia out of storage from the top shelf of my fridge.

drnail
drnail  350 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Aug 2010 - 10:44 PM

Quote: 100% digital now, and for the last few years, but keep meaning to dust off the EOS 5 and get some of the Fuji Velvia out of storage from the top shelf of my fridge.

Just wondering why its in the fridgeGrin

digital for me its all ive used , but saying that would like to try film 1 day

User_Removed
10 Aug 2010 - 10:45 PM

Currently without a film camera (sold the EOS 3 to fund a digital upgrade) but have used various Canon and Minolta cameras over the last couple of years.

I will probably buy another film camera at some point, and was considering medium format.

There's still something I like about using film.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Aug 2010 - 11:07 PM

Started out as digital but picked up three film bodies along the way, I'm using them less and less now as it becomes more difficult to get the film processed. I think the 1VHS is going to be px'd soon, but I'll hang onto the FM2 - just love the sound of a mechanical camera.

AlanTW
AlanTW  11342 forum posts
11 Aug 2010 - 12:03 AM

Still shoot Velvia and Provia in my Xpan and dear old Rollei 35SE in with my D300 and G11

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2010 - 6:00 AM

Mostly film (5x4) but I also use a compact and a DSLR. Digital just feels lifeless and mechanical whereas working with LF film is much more involving - probably because I'm in charge of the while process with only light-metering being delegated to a computer.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2010 - 6:04 AM

Almost entirely digital, but I have a complete Canon film SLR kit. I think I may switch to Pentax film so I can use my Pentax lenses.

franken
franken e2 Member 113027 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2010 - 7:57 AM

I take about 90% digital now.
I started with film many years ago and still have a large collection of film cameras. I've got 21 Pentax or Pentax fitting film slr's ranging from the m series to the MZ series.
I've also got a Zorki 4K and and an Olympus trip 35.
I've also got a fairly large collection of lenses to fit them. I use some of them on my digital Pentax from time to time and get very good results.
They all work and every now and then they get used.

Ken

fatherpie
fatherpie  6 England12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2010 - 8:24 AM

Man after my own heart Ken ... although I can't claim 21 cameras (quite) let alone 21 film SLRs Tongue I too started with film in the 1970's, took a long break from photography and got back into it a couple of years ago through the wonders of digital but have gravitated towards film in the last few months. That said I probably shoot 80% digital compared to 20% analogue at the moment.

Dave

kenneth davis
11 Aug 2010 - 8:02 PM

Both,

digital is wonderful for its immediacy & for communication, film imposes disciplines that can improve the digital picture, the digital lets me see that it's worth taking film (cost control!). Digital is nowhere when it comes to projection - transparency film rules in that domain.

User_Removed
11 Aug 2010 - 8:12 PM

Quote: Digital is nowhere when it comes to projection - transparency film rules in that domain.

Interesting point. It's a while since I projected transparencies, but I think that digital projection is going to cost and awful lot more to get anywhere near that quality.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2010 - 7:29 PM

Take a crap slide and project it. You still get that wow factor....but it's such a pain Tongue

Malcolm ( who has thousands of slides sitting quietly waiting)

sparklep
sparklep  7146 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2010 - 10:55 PM

I shoot in film in black and white But also use my digital and get great results. What worry's me is that photo's are becoming very similar and over-saturated. I think the fun is going out of digital photography because if you cant use Adobe, or even Picassa your photo although can be as good...once the person who knows their way around processing can produce a completely different photo.
I include myself in this.
I recently looked at some slides my dad took 30 years ago and the colours were great. I am giving anyone who;s interested a link to some lovely old film shots. Let me know what you think.
Jacqui
http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/07/26/captured-america-in-color-from-1...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.