Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Film camera equipment

14 Jan 2012 2:41PM
I'm not now using my Canon A! plus Canon T90 plus lenses, flash guns etc. Should i keep them or sell them and put any money towards new digital gear i want tp buy?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

14 Jan 2012 2:44PM
Sorry for the typo's I meant a canon A1
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 3:11PM
Canon A1/E is quite an old film camera. If you still want to shoot film, and have all the lens, flash etc for it, why do you want to sell it?
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Jan 2012 4:53PM
I agree with Mike. Keep it all and run a roll or two through occasionally - its fun and it keeps you 'focused' (no pun intended) on the skills involved with capturing an image.

And the wait for the results is awesome! Wink

(Three 'Mike's' inline - that has to be a 'first'!)
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
14 Jan 2012 6:26PM
The canon bodies are worth keeping especially since they hold practically nothing in cash value. And the same for lenses especially if you have fast primes, there every bit as good on modern dslr`s using adapters.

I recently off loaded al my old film slr bodies, and a bunch of lenses, cash value was really pretty low but I really could not see the point in using DSLR and SLR systems side by side, I just kept hold of all the fast primes.
14 Jan 2012 10:16PM
(Three 'Mike's' inline - that has to be a 'first'!)

Somebody's taking the 'Mike'? Smile

Keep the gear!
pentaxpete e2
9 553 1 England
15 Jan 2012 9:48AM
I was GIVEN a Canon A1 with three lenses and eyepiece magnifier and winder and I USE it and as I develop my own films I can see the results very quickly !
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
15 Jan 2012 12:30PM

Quote:The canon bodies are worth keeping especially since they hold practically nothing in cash value. And the same for lenses especially if you have fast primes, there every bit as good on modern dslr`s using adapters.

I recently off loaded al my old film slr bodies, and a bunch of lenses, cash value was really pretty low but I really could not see the point in using DSLR and SLR systems side by side, I just kept hold of all the fast primes.

T90 etc use FD mount which is the least adaptable mount for modern DSLRs due to the wide throat and shallow focal plane to flange distance.. Any adapters made for EOS require an internal lens to restore infinity focus which would probably negate the high optical quality of the Canon lens. You'd be better of with Nikon lenses if you want to use older lenses on an EOS as they don not require optics to focus top infinity.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
15 Jan 2012 6:45PM

Quote:T90 etc use FD mount which is the least adaptable mount for modern DSLRs

That is such a false statement, wake up.
randomrubble
10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2012 7:54PM
Errr. Sorry but, if you don't count mirrorless bodies, it's entirely true. The only adapters currently available for FD lenses -> DSLR bodies have glass in them, rendering the lenses extremely soft above f5.6 or so.
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
15 Jan 2012 9:32PM

Quote:T90 etc use FD mount which is the least adaptable mount for modern DSLRs

That is such a false statement, wake up.

I'm awake. The statement is true. Suggest you do a bit of research.
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
15 Jan 2012 9:42PM
Chapter and verse on opticless lens mount adapters for EOS.

EOS film plane to lensth throat is 44mm.

These are the mounts (and plane to lens throat measurements ) that cannot infinity focus without correction optics:
Canon (FD and earlier) 42.0 mm Adapters would need optics for infinity focus and act as weak multipliers
Fujica X Mount (bayonet) 43.5 mm
Konica F 40.5 mm
Minolta MD 43.5 mm
Miranda 41.5 mm

I have used OM, Nikon, M42, T2 and assorted others from the green list on an EOS 300D in the past. Even an adapter 0.5mm thick would cause an FD lens to act as if it had a 2.5mm extension tube fitted.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Jan 2012 12:43AM
No need, I have no intention of ever using anything EOS Smile
randomrubble
10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2012 9:43AM
Just for information here's chapter & verse on FD to DSLR:

You can't mount FD on nikon, sony, pentad, or Even 4/3 DSLRs. You could physically convert to 4/3, there were special kits available, but you lost use of them on your film bodies unless you changed them back which too inconvenient for most users. It's a great shame as there ar some very good FD lenses. The FD 50/1.4 is the same optical design as the current EF model.

You can readily get adapters for NEX and Micro 4/3. Reported results are variable, with the pricier fixed lens glass generally doing better and zooms faring worst.

FWIW, there is one minor exception for FD on Eos; if you buy a special super slim adapter you can use 400mm and above lenses on EOS bodies at up to the 30-40m range, which some people on the FD forums have have done for birding.

All of the above is why I sold my FD gear and moved over to Contax about a year ago, that and the fact that a 50mm Zeiss planar came my way in a local charity shop for 15.
pentaxpete e2
9 553 1 England
16 Jan 2012 11:40AM
I can use all my screw-thread PENTAX lenses on my CANON as I got a 'P' adapter; FD mount has a screw thread mount inside and they all work lovely and the Aperture Priorty setting of the A1 gives good exposure !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.