Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Film camera equipment

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2012 - 12:36 PM

Quote: Errr. Sorry but, if you don't count mirrorless bodies

That is all I count, like I said I could not see the point in using slr`s along side dslr`s, hang on to the decent fd lenses they can be lovely on CSC bodies.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jan 2012 - 12:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikemarita
16 Jan 2012 - 4:42 PM

Wouldn't the A1 and T90 become valuable in years to come? Both award winners in their own era. I think I will just keep them and use them occasionally as suggested.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2012 - 5:28 PM

Quote: Wouldn't the A1 and T90 become valuable in years to come?

The thing is, these were both produced in huge quantities, there likely to be worth more in sentimental value.

randomrubble
16 Jan 2012 - 8:15 PM

If you can keep both running sweetly you might retain some value in future as both have known shutter issues, particularly the T90. The T90 was also a short production run as it was more expnsive than the Eos 650 which was introduced a year later.

The key to keeping a T90 running btw is to fire the shutter a few times, at least once month. It is also rumoured that if you set it to bulb, open the shutter then remove the batteries and store the camera with the shutter open it won't jam.

classcams
classcams  5117 forum posts
24 Jan 2012 - 12:28 PM

You must be very lucky to still have a T90. Biggest load of rubbish ever made. Canon will not repair them. The shutter was made faulty and Canon know it. Look to Nikon and sleep well.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 7:50 PM

Just added a Nikon F301 to my collection - had some important 'firsts' for Nikon - the model first appeared in 1985.

It looks like it just came out the box and functions perfectly on all settings.

Will run a couple of rolls through it the coming weekend.

Quite chuffed, really. Smile

Paul Morgan
26 Jan 2012 - 8:05 PM

Quote: Just added a Nikon F301 to my collection - had some important 'firsts' for Nikon - the model first appeared in 1985

I had one of those Jas, mind you don`t get a sore nose SmileWink

From memory there was this bit that spun round as the the film advance and after a days shooting it would look like I had a cold Smile

Just Jas
26 Jan 2012 - 8:20 PM

I guess that you focus using your left eye, then, Paul? Using my right eye to the camera, as I normally do, the bit that spins around clears my face.

((I guess you mean the "Film Advance Indicator (rotates to show film is loaded and being advanced)" from the Manual!))

It might locate under my thumb, though. Thanks for the warning - it doesn't rotate without a film engaging it, so I didn't twig it.

Sore nose apart, Paul, what did you think of the camera. I find viewfinder LEDs a bit small and dim to read out in the sunlight. OK indoors though.

To me, it handles beautifully, as do my other Nikon bodies.

Paul Morgan
26 Jan 2012 - 8:36 PM

Its not much good for stealth Jas, and there`s no depth of field button, and that bit that spins around catching the noise Smile

Has yours got the AA battery mod, or is it still the original AAA.

Just Jas
26 Jan 2012 - 9:27 PM

Original AAA battery. True the motor drive is a bit noisy, but my first choice for stealth would be an Agfa Silette - between lens shutter, barely perceptible noise.

The bit that rotates on mine is recessed under a bezel that doesn't rotate, so I don't see it being a problem as it is an inch and a half away from my face with my left eye applied to the viewfinder. Time will tell, I suppose.

The only problem that I had with the F301 was slight green corrosion products adhering to the inner contacts of the battery holder - which make the actual contact with the battery terminals.

This I cleaned off easily with Servisol contact cleaner, applied, and wiped off, with cotton buds - leaving them clean and bright.

Railcam
Railcam  7479 forum posts Scotland
26 Jan 2012 - 9:40 PM

The F301 was my main camera in the 1990s. I bought it off a friend and he had fitted the optional AA battery holder. It would run forever on a couple of Duracells. Despite the size of my nose I never had any issues with the rotating film advance indicator. I still have it and it works perfectly.

The F301 took hundreds of slides until I bought an F801s in 1997. Despite the plastic body that was/is an excellent body and served me until I aspired to an F4s. I still have them all in my "museum" and all are in full working condition.

Paul Morgan
26 Jan 2012 - 9:43 PM

Quote: The only problem that I had with the F301 was slight green corrosion products adhering to the inner contacts of the battery holder - which make the actual contact with the battery terminals

Modifying the camera to AA might solve that, I believe Grays once sold a kit.

Just Jas
26 Jan 2012 - 9:57 PM

It's working fine at the moment, Paul - fortunately the corrosion was slight and hadn't eaten into the contacts - I was able to clean it all off.

What I would like to obtain is a +1 dioptre correction eyepiece to fit. However, I have just spent many hours searching ebay for this item.

Unless you've got one? Grin

Just Jas
27 Jan 2012 - 11:55 PM

Railcam - Paul - what flash did you use (if at all) with your F301?

I have just bought an SB-18 on ebay, but awaiting delivery at the moment.
jas

Paul Morgan
28 Jan 2012 - 12:04 AM

The SB-15 did me Jas

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.