Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Film remakes - your thoughts!

Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
14 Sep 2011 11:14AM
(was only kidding)

Fitzcarraldo is certainly a classic. I bet you like Aguirre too ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
14 Sep 2011 11:21AM
Yes and also Cobra Verde...all with the music of Popol Vuh. The bit where he walks into the square in Cobra Verde with the backing of Popol Vuh is goosebump world for me. (Sorrry we hijacked a thread Sad )
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Sep 2011 12:48PM
Hijacked?

Yes but in a foreign language.
Wink
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
14 Sep 2011 2:35PM
'Day the Earth Stood Still' remake was total rubbish with a capital 'C'.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
14 Sep 2011 2:43PM
Ocean's Eleven was a pretty good remake

Assault on Precinct 13 was OK, but didn't have the scariness of the original

Jury's also still out on The Italian Job. The new one would have been OK on its own, but the original is too much of a classic to be able to remake it better.
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
14 Sep 2011 2:49PM
Then of course you have the three films with John Wayne, all directed by Howard Hawks that are so similar they are effectively remakes: Rio Bravo, El Dorado and Rio Lobo. I like Rio Bravo best as it has Dean Martin as the drunk sheriff (played by Robert Mitchum in El Dorado) and Ricky Nelson as Colorado (James Caan played "Mississippi" in El Dorado).
Think many really hate the movie, but I always had a thing for "breathless", Jim McBride's remake of "a bout de souffle". occasionally it's just awfull, but Gere is actually quite good as the energetic Las Vegas nitwit, the soundtrack is fantastic, and McBride often pulls directional gems out of his hat. Kaprisky acts really awful, yet she and Gere deliver some of the most beautiful erotic/romantic scenes I've seen on screen. Besides, Gere's pants/shirts are hilariously fab.

Soderbergh's Ocean's eleven is extremely entertaining as well and smoooooth as can be. Love the one-liners between Clooney and Pitt ("Ted Nugent called, he wants his shirt back..." ). Nice game for when you watch the film : try to count the scenes in which Pitt is not eating some snack.
spaceman e2
10 5.2k 3 Wales
14 Sep 2011 4:11PM
The new The Thing film is actually a prequel to Carpenter's film. It's set in the Norwegian camp that is briefly seen in that film. However, the trailer for the new film makes it look so similar to its predecessor that it may seem more like a remake.

Remaking relatively recent films (a new Total Recall is on the way) does seem pretty pointless and audiences seem to feel the same way as few of them do much business at the box office.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
14 Sep 2011 4:34PM
Sometimes, they just got it right in vintage films and photographs.

I first saw "La Grande Illusion" about 40 years ago and it was only war film where all the characters spoke in their native languages - French and German with a little English. The editing doesn't have the same finesse that we now take for granted, but it's a real work of art.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
14 Sep 2011 6:01PM
I should have added that "La Grande Illusion" was made shortly before WWII.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.