Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Film Scanner advice

gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2014 6:35PM
I have a Minolta Scan Multi Pro that's quite a few years old. It's not been used for a while as I've only just found some software (Vuescan) that works with Mavericks. The results are disappointing. I'm getting magenta colour casts at the edges and uneven colour banding across the frame. I suspect it's something to do with the age of the lamp. It seems spares are no longer available, unless you can source another for spare parts.

Has anyone experience of this and found a solution?

Gary

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Feb 2014 8:15PM
I have the scan dual mk3 and get great results. Have you done a calibration of the scanner?
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2014 9:35PM
The option to calibrate is greyed out.

I've tried a few test shots with DIY rig to photograph negs and trannies with the DSLR. It looks very promising so the old film scanner may be retired...
5 Feb 2014 8:35AM
Are you using the demo version or the full paid for version?
alfpics e2
12 357 England
5 Feb 2014 9:22AM
I have a Minolta scanner (elite 5400 35mm only) and use Vuescan. I found it could do this, but played a bit with the white balance control under one of the tabs - selecting/ trying different options and eventually it started to behave itself and give better results. I can't remember all the details of what I did as it is sometime ago now and I haven't got things running at the mo to try it out for you; however hope that helps point in the right direction!
Andy
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2014 9:31AM
I have the standard version - paid for. I am able to scan and alter contrast and colour balance, etc but the results are quite poor because of the banding. Upon reflection I think it's just reached it's use by date. It must be about ten years old.
alfpics e2
12 357 England
5 Feb 2014 9:54AM

Quote: It must be about ten years old.
So is mine!
Andy
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2014 9:59AM
Andy, Where would you get spares, like a replacement bulb, if you needed to?
alfpics e2
12 357 England
5 Feb 2014 10:12AM
Hi Gary - not sure; however I came across a yahoo users group a couple of years ago where I found answers to some of my questions at the time;
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/minoltadimagescanelite/info
Ok, it is for the Scan Elite model, but I guess there may be tentacles spreading out concerning other models
Andy
gary.d e2
12 134 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2014 9:47AM
Andy - thanks for the info.

Gary

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.