Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Filter & Holder Advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    robway
    robway e2 Member 9317 forum postsrobway vcard Wales
    3 Dec 2012 - 6:29 PM

Up to now I have been using Cokin P holders and have put up with vingnettes in the corners when using a wide angle zoom on its widest aperture. What I would like to know before I buy, do Lee holders or Cokin Z & X Pro solve this problem. Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Dec 2012 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    3 Dec 2012 - 6:43 PM

Have you tried a wide-angle holder with your Cokin-P system?

If not, then investing 2.99 in one from China might be worth trying before spending megabucks on a new system.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2012 - 6:52 PM

If you go for LEE then it would be best to go for their Wide Angled Adaptor Rings
    Scroll down and watch the video Wink

JohnParminter

For your 7d and 10-20mm lens, the Lee 100mm filters and holder with a wide angle adapter will solve the problem Rob. Hitech 100mm will also suit. Can't say for the Cokin outfit though.

JP

robway
    3 Dec 2012 - 7:08 PM

I forgot to add that I was using it attached to a Hoya UV filter on the 17-40 lens. Perhaps this makes a difference. I was using the cokin wide angle holder. I guess I'll have to try it without the filter and see how that affects things. Many thanks for the responses.

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Dec 2012 - 7:51 PM

Have a look at this PDF on their website - Cokin . Pages 18 & 19 give some useful information on compatibility for each series of filters.

I still get very slight vignetting even with the Z-Pro on my 18-200 Nikkor. One click on the lens profile setting in LR4 solves it though.

MarkBroughton
    3 Dec 2012 - 11:53 PM

On my Sigma 10-20mm with a wide angle adapter I get no vignetting, but if I add any kind of screw in filter, it does. So I use mine with no extra filters at all, and that way I can take images at 10mm with no effect.

User_Removed
    4 Dec 2012 - 1:15 PM

Quote: On my Sigma 10-20mm with a wide angle adapter I get no vignetting, but if I add any kind of screw in filter, it does. So I use mine with no extra filters at all, and that way I can take images at 10mm with no effect.

Sound advice - both from the point of view of reducing the risk of vignetting and also from the point of view of having as few layers of glass and/or resin in front of your lens as possible.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Dec 2012 - 1:16 PM
    KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 2:19 PM

I once watched a tog who taped his Cokin/Lee type filter to the front of his lens at a well known spot perforated with tripod holes.

Quite obvious he knew what he was doing that may well have been avoiding the vignette problem.
    Never tried it myself or use filters all that often.

robway
    4 Dec 2012 - 2:32 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I guess it's a case of removing the UV filter when necessary to avoid the problem but I do prefer to keep it on as much as possible for protection for the lens. Thanks once again.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.