Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Filter for high levels of sunshine?

31 Oct 2008 10:52AM
Hi,

I'm going to be spending a month in the Caribbean and want to be able to capture those azure seas well....I have a Canon D400 with a Sigma DC 18-200mm lens. Can anyone recommend a good filter for that sort of very sunny location? At the moment I have a regular UV filter...sorry, quite a beginner here and a technical dunce.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
31 Oct 2008 10:56AM
polariser could be useful - stops glare and can make colours stronger, and also skies very deep blue

ND grads are useful too - these have a dark and clear bit, so you can put the dark over the bright area (make it look darker the the camera) to balance things up a bit.

beware though, on beaches overseas, the land is often brighter than the sky, so use your ND grad with care
mad-dogs e2
12 2.2k England
31 Oct 2008 10:57AM
Try a 'circular polariser' to darken the blue skies and cut reflections on water.

Rotate the filter to get the desired effect.
31 Oct 2008 11:04AM
Thanks guys....I'll check out these options....Jonathan
31 Oct 2008 11:32AM
I use ND filters (not grads) which suppress the overall intensity of light entering the lens, which work well when I'm happy with the composition of my shot (don't want to rid myself of any brighter areas using a graduated filter). I have ND 4, 8 and in high summer, ofter put both together (just takes more care to ensure you're not adding layers of dust to the shot with each filter).
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
31 Oct 2008 11:50AM
oh - buy the filters well before you go on holiday and get using them - you'll soon work it out then, far better than asking how to use them on here because you can "see" the results for yourself.

if you want to go moody, use more grad - 3-5 stops makes the sunniest day look suitably miserable Smile My latest shot had 5 stops if you want an example.
Tooth e2
9 5.8k 227 Ireland
31 Oct 2008 12:40PM

Quote:beware though, on beaches overseas, the land is often brighter than the sky, so use your ND grad with care

Quote:if you want to go moody, use more grad - 3-5 stops makes the sunniest day look suitably miserable

Hmmm Wink

Polarisers and grads yes, I agree, but be careful with both. The polariser will only work at right angles to the sun, and with wider lenses especially in very hrash light conditions can cause uneven effects, making some parts of the sky excessively dark blue. Play with thenm all before you go there, but don't be surprised if you need toi use them differently for the specific light conditions

finally

Quote:I'm going to be spending a month in the Caribbean

what the hell, just chill and enjoy Smile
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2008 12:43PM
I would recommend a polariser. If the skies are blue (in my experience) you probably won't have any need for grads.

Have fun.

Ian
andart e2
12 491 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2008 12:47PM
Filter for high levels of sunshine?

in scotland we call them clouds!!!..................
chris_taylor Junior Member
31 Oct 2008 12:48PM
Hi Jonathan.......did you know that you look a bit like a younger version of Big Bri ?

...sorry. Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
31 Oct 2008 12:53PM

Quote:did you know that you look a bit like a younger version of Big Bri

and better looking as well...

:-p
chris_taylor Junior Member
31 Oct 2008 12:57PM

Quote:and better looking as well...

I was going to say that, but I didn't want people thinking that my bread was buttered on the other side! Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
31 Oct 2008 1:01PM
I don't like bread nor butter, so I am ok to say that..Smile
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
31 Oct 2008 1:04PM
You're a Ryvitite?

You must be crackers.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
31 Oct 2008 1:06PM

Quote:You're a Ryvitite?

Whatever that is....
I only know this

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.