Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Filter for high levels of sunshine?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jonathanbp
jonathanbp e2 Member 699 forum postsjonathanbp vcard Indonesia
31 Oct 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi,

I'm going to be spending a month in the Caribbean and want to be able to capture those azure seas well....I have a Canon D400 with a Sigma DC 18-200mm lens. Can anyone recommend a good filter for that sort of very sunny location? At the moment I have a regular UV filter...sorry, quite a beginner here and a technical dunce.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Oct 2008 - 10:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014837 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 10:56 AM

polariser could be useful - stops glare and can make colours stronger, and also skies very deep blue

ND grads are useful too - these have a dark and clear bit, so you can put the dark over the bright area (make it look darker the the camera) to balance things up a bit.

beware though, on beaches overseas, the land is often brighter than the sky, so use your ND grad with care

mad-dogs
mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
31 Oct 2008 - 10:57 AM

Try a 'circular polariser' to darken the blue skies and cut reflections on water.

Rotate the filter to get the desired effect.

Last Modified By mad-dogs at 31 Oct 2008 - 11:00 AM
jonathanbp
jonathanbp e2 Member 699 forum postsjonathanbp vcard Indonesia
31 Oct 2008 - 11:04 AM

Thanks guys....I'll check out these options....Jonathan

oscarshost
31 Oct 2008 - 11:32 AM

I use ND filters (not grads) which suppress the overall intensity of light entering the lens, which work well when I'm happy with the composition of my shot (don't want to rid myself of any brighter areas using a graduated filter). I have ND 4, 8 and in high summer, ofter put both together (just takes more care to ensure you're not adding layers of dust to the shot with each filter).

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014837 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 11:50 AM

oh - buy the filters well before you go on holiday and get using them - you'll soon work it out then, far better than asking how to use them on here because you can "see" the results for yourself.

if you want to go moody, use more grad - 3-5 stops makes the sunniest day look suitably miserable Smile My latest shot had 5 stops if you want an example.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 12:40 PM

Quote: beware though, on beaches overseas, the land is often brighter than the sky, so use your ND grad with care

Quote: if you want to go moody, use more grad - 3-5 stops makes the sunniest day look suitably miserable

Hmmm Wink

Polarisers and grads yes, I agree, but be careful with both. The polariser will only work at right angles to the sun, and with wider lenses especially in very hrash light conditions can cause uneven effects, making some parts of the sky excessively dark blue. Play with thenm all before you go there, but don't be surprised if you need toi use them differently for the specific light conditions

finally

Quote: I'm going to be spending a month in the Caribbean

what the hell, just chill and enjoy Smile

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 12:43 PM

I would recommend a polariser. If the skies are blue (in my experience) you probably won't have any need for grads.

Have fun.

Ian

andart
andart  12480 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Oct 2008 - 12:47 PM

Filter for high levels of sunshine?

in scotland we call them clouds!!!..................

chris_taylor
chris_taylor Junior Member 9161 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Oct 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hi Jonathan.......did you know that you look a bit like a younger version of Big Bri ?

...sorry. Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 12:53 PM

Quote: did you know that you look a bit like a younger version of Big Bri

and better looking as well...

:-p

chris_taylor
chris_taylor Junior Member 9161 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Oct 2008 - 12:57 PM

Quote: and better looking as well...

I was going to say that, but I didn't want people thinking that my bread was buttered on the other side! Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 1:01 PM

I don't like bread nor butter, so I am ok to say that..Smile

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 1:04 PM

You're a Ryvitite?

You must be crackers.

Last Modified By Boyd at 31 Oct 2008 - 1:05 PM
Coleslaw
31 Oct 2008 - 1:06 PM

Quote: You're a Ryvitite?

Whatever that is....
I only know this

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.