Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Filter holder - plastic or aluminium?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    TanyaH
    TanyaH e2 Member 11497 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm just about to start building up my new filter system, but before I order ... is the plastic filter holder okay, or should I get an aluminium one? (I'm going with Hitech system - holder, adapter ring(s) and filters.) Any opinions on the durability of the plastic holder vs the benefits of the aluminium one would be appreciated Smile

Thanks
    Tanya

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Aug 2012 - 10:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 1:00 PM

I mostly & occasionally use the cheaper Cokin P style holders and the plastic ones are fine and have never broken (even the cheap ebay clones).
    Being plastic they won't scratch the filters either if i'm a tad careless when fitting them.

Are you going for the 85mm or the 100mm system ? - the 100 being better for wide angle lenses.

IanBurton
    IanBurton  465 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 1:13 PM

Personally I would go for the plastic holder as the aluminium one is heavier and more expensive for what is essentially the same design as the plastic one. Aluminium may look aesthetically pleasing but I think this may be prone to denting and warping if mishandled or stored in your bag incorrectly, but since I have never owned one I can't be certain. You have to ask yourself why Lee & Cokin produce there systems in plastic.

TanyaH
    TanyaH e2 Member 11497 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 1:16 PM

Thanks for the response Jack - I'm going 100mm.

Oddly, I do have a P series Cokin holder (haven't got a clue where it came from - don't even remember buying it!) but as I want to at some point get a 10-stop ND filter, I was a bit reluctant to use this as I'd read that using the 10-stop filter on the Cokin holder can have light leakage issues? (And I don't want to end up down the Blue Peter route of sellotape and bits of cardboard to try and stop the leakage!)

I'd prefer to stick to one system rather than mix and match, and to be honest plastic Hitech was my first thought ... but then thought I might be doing myself a disservice by not going aluminum instead.

TanyaH
    15 Aug 2012 - 1:19 PM

Sorry Ian - I hadn't realised you'd also posted as was in the process of composing the reply to Jack ... thanks for the thoughts though. Good point about why they all produce a plastic version ... very good point, actually Smile

Last Modified By TanyaH at 15 Aug 2012 - 1:46 PM
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 1:22 PM

Quote: .... at some point get a 10-stop ND filter....

for this i went for one of these screw in ones to avoid light leakage http://www.ephotozine.com/article/light-craft-workshop-nd500-mc-filter-review-14322

mikehit
    mikehit  56313 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2012 - 1:32 PM

Quote:

I'd prefer to stick to one system rather than mix and match, and to be honest plastic Hitech was my first thought ... but then thought I might be doing myself a disservice by not going aluminum instead.

Those helpful guys at teamworkphoto where I bought my kit from recommended the Lee holder with HiTech filters and it works fine - I do not have it infront of me but I am sure the Lee holder is plastic (modern plastic is bloody tough). They also suggested I get the wide angle kit and a stepping ring to attach to my lens.
    For ND grad filters, I got the 100mmx150mm as the 150mm give you more freedom on where you place the transition zone. And if you have a APS-C body I would suggest getting the HiTech hard grads because in proportion to the size of the image, the transition zone of the soft grads is a bit large (though opinions vary - I got the soft grad and wished I had got the hard).

TanyaH
    15 Aug 2012 - 1:55 PM

Thanks Jack for that link - interesting review and good price too Smile

Mike - thanks for the input. I'd already decided to go with hard grads, after reading some forum threads on here and various recommendations for each and why. Yes, I've got a crop sensor body so hard grads it will be.

I've just looked at Bristol Cameras' website and their Hitech 10-stop ND grad has a 3mm gasket which fits their Hitech holder, so maybe light leakage won't be such a problem as I thought.

User_Removed
    15 Aug 2012 - 3:46 PM

[quote].... at some point get a 10-stop ND filter.... for this i went for one of these screw in ones to avoid light leakage /quote]

Me too Jack. I much prefer screw-ins for Polarising and ND but use the holder system for ND Grads for obvious reasons (and also for special effect filters, which I find I use very rarely nowadays).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 15 Aug 2012 - 3:47 PM
    bigalguitarpicker

Quote:
    I've just looked at Bristol Cameras' website and their Hitech 10-stop ND grad has a 3mm gasket which fits their Hitech holder, so maybe light leakage won't be such a problem as I thought.

Fits the Cokin holder too. Don't forget to cover the viewfinder when using it. Smile

Last Modified By bigalguitarpicker at 15 Aug 2012 - 9:46 PM
    TanyaH
    16 Aug 2012 - 9:40 AM

Cheers for the opinions ... I was dithering between the screw-in type and the square type for a while, but decided in the end to go with the slot-in type (dithering after I'd ordered it, so not the best time to dither Grin). Have decided to give the square version a try, and if leakage IS a problem then I'll bite the bullet, accept that I'm a numpty, and order a screw-in version like the one in Jack's post above. Hey ho ... Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.