Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Filter layering?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gossyboy
    gossyboy  6460 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Jul 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hi all,
    Just purchased a polarizing filter as I understand it will give me bluer skies etc.
    But do I screw my polarizer on top of my UV filter or do I take my UV off?
    Do I only use my polarizer when taking pictures that includes pieces of sky or do I leave it on all the time.

Any advice would be appreciated......

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jul 2008 - 12:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Randle
    Randle  894 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Jul 2008 - 12:41 PM

I use it on top of the uv on my standard lens (18-75) and it appears to be working ok.
    on the wide angle (10-22) I only use the polarizer to ensure I dont get cut of in the corners.
    So I will be interested in what others say!

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jul 2008 - 12:44 PM

have a look at the article here: Guide to using a polariser...and we've got a video showing how they work in the middle of our latest TV show here

markharrop
    markharrop  10191 forum posts England
    21 Jul 2008 - 12:44 PM

I do the same as you Randle - if I leave the UV filter on my Sigma 10-20mm you can see it when using the lens at 10mm.

Although I have had severe banding issues with you the polarizing filers on my Sigma lens.

mlewis
    mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Jul 2008 - 12:48 PM

It's best to remove the UV filter as the more filters you stack the greater chance of getting flare and vignetting.

col.campbell
    21 Jul 2008 - 1:16 PM

I couldn't give you a serious run-down of the science (although I'm sure any internet search engine could) but the polarising filter works by filtering out, as the name would suggest, some light reaching the lens. For that reason I wouldn't leave it fitted all the time, especially with our weather in the UK. (The loss of light may lead to longer exposures, increasing the likelihood of camera shake etc).

If shooting in a studio with flash, or on holiday in a sunny country for instance, no problem, as the benefit it gives is a boost to your colours. Perhaps not for natural portraits; personal preference I s'pose.

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jul 2008 - 4:35 PM

Leave your UV on whenever you haven't got the Polariser on. Take your UV off if using the polariser, the more bits of glass that the light has to go through the worse the image gets.

Don't leave your polariser on for the reasons given above.

If you want to judge when to use it, get it out, look through it and rotate it. If the image darkens at one point as you rotate and then lightens again it's probably worth putting it on. This can be to give bluer skies and accentuate cloud details or to reduce reflections on water surfaces etc.

Last Modified By MalcolmS at 21 Jul 2008 - 4:35 PM
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    21 Jul 2008 - 9:18 PM

Filters for "protection" are an emotive subject but all the user polls I have seen and the vast majority of photographers I meet do not use them.
    Specifically on UV's for the last 25 years colour film has had negligible UV sensitivity, digital sensors incorporate a UV filter, many modern lens glass types stop UV and any decent multi coating stops UV.
    This is probably why Nikon stopped making UV's and market the clear NC, Canon advise using there clear Regular except with silver based B&W film and older lenses and Hoya make the clear Protect series. Some UV's stop some blue colour making them less than ideal for some landscape work.
    For most amateurs for theft and lens breakage for around £2 a year for each £100 value provides more protection for less money than filters.
    Obviously an extra layer of glass reduces contrast and in consequence apparent sharpness. By how much depends on the lens, the filter quality and the light but up to half a stop is not uncommon into the light with a good quality filter on a wide angle zoom.
    Some of the cheaper filters cause atrocious degradation - with Nikon providing an example on their web site.
    I do not know how many Canon lenses cannot be "protected" with a filter due to no front filter thread, but with Nikon it is around 9 current lenses.
    As already mentioned stacking filters increases the amount of image degradation, the chance of reflections off a sensor if shooting digital, and the chances of getting hard black corners to the image - so remove the UV when conditions are right for a pol effect.

gossyboy
    gossyboy  6460 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Jul 2008 - 10:24 PM

OK cool thanks all for your input.
    Going to do the Snowdon Horseshoe next week and hoping for some nice blue skies, so will try the polar without the UV and i'm sure you will all see the results...........

spankychan
    26 Jul 2008 - 11:09 AM

I found this thread handy as I am considering buying a polariser. Thanks to everyone.

Last Modified By spankychan at 26 Jul 2008 - 11:09 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.