Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Filter Problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MarkBroughton
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:14 PM

Hi All,
    Am new to the world of filters, and have just got my first set of ND grads.

Problem is when I am at the widest angle ie 10mm on my Sigma 10-20mm lens, I can see the edges of the filter holder in my shots and have to crop them down.

Is this a familiar problem, that there is an easy fix for? I have a set of Cokin P Series ND grads which are small ones, I am aware that the larger X Pro series dont have the same problem, and is there an easy solution, or is it a case of just putting up with it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Mark

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ganto
    Ganto  8769 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:17 PM

Put up with it or buy the bigger ones I'm afraid!

P.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:44 PM

I haven't got a 10-20 so it's not a problem for me, but looking through some older threads on here people have bought a wide angle "P" filter holder which holds just one filter at a time, or they've sawn off the outer parts of the standard filter P holder.

Have a look at these:
    link
    link
    link

Hopefully the links work... If you're careful with what you search under in the "Forums" search page, there's a few other people with the same problems and possible solutions.

Hope that helps.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:45 PM

I searched under "Cokin P 10mm"...

sut68
    sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:50 PM

You'll just have to put up with it I'm afraid Mark, the P series is far too small for that lens. Either the Z-Pro or X-Pro series is required.

Instead of cropping afterward though [as this reduces the pixel count of your shot], zoom in a little at the shooting stage and you'll get the same effect but keep the pixel count up - just keep an eye on them corners though.

Paul

MarkBroughton
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:51 PM

Brill, thats exactly what I need, I will get one ordered today.

Thanks very much for the tips, should have searched the forum first, ooops Wink

Vespa
    Vespa  777 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:57 PM

I don't know if you have tried this shop but I have bought lots of film and batteries off them. They also sell filters at good prices...
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=1&type=1330&man=0&fi...

MarkBroughton
    31 Jul 2008 - 12:58 PM

Cheers for replying Paul, they apparently now make a wide angle holder which holds just 1 filter (Cokin BWP700A ultra wide angle holder), that will do for me, as long as I cant see the holder in my shots Smile The folk in the shop I bought them, didnt mention there would be any problems, which annoys me slightly, as I did tell them which lens I was using.
    Anyway, thanks for replying mate
    Mark

Last Modified By MarkBroughton at 31 Jul 2008 - 1:00 PM
    MarkBroughton
    31 Jul 2008 - 1:00 PM

Thanks George will give them a look
    Ta
    Mark

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82288 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2008 - 3:02 PM

Theres also a cheat Mark. Buy an x-pro adaptor ring. This has a large flat metal ring (have a look at Mand's). In the past I have used three pieces of bluetac attached to the ring to hold my filters in place. As an added advantage by playing with the bluetac you can align your filters at different angles - the kind of thing that you usually need a Lee professional adptor ring to do. The down side of this cheat is that it can be a little fiddly to do in the field - although it really isn't that hard.

One other thing to be wary of - cokin nd grads are not neutral, especially if you combine them (say a five stop combo) in strong light. Often I find a pink colour cast by doing this - and this is with x-pro. It was down right dreadful with the p serise - although I read on a forum post sometime ago that cokin have corrected it.

Rgds,

Adam

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82288 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2008 - 3:03 PM

Just realised that I have advised you to take a look at Mand's ring - umm - I had better leave that there Wink

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2008 - 3:46 PM

Quote: as long as I cant see the holder in my shots

I have this combo and you do still see the holder sometimes, particularly if you are using a circular polariser also. It's never been a great problem thanks to PS or shoot at 12mm instead of 10mm.

MarkBroughton
    31 Jul 2008 - 3:47 PM

LOL Thanks Adam for your tips, I only really want to use 1 filter at a time, so I am going to get the wide angle holder, and that should sort it out.
    Cheers
    Mark

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.