Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Filter Problem

31 Jul 2008 12:14PM
Hi All,
Am new to the world of filters, and have just got my first set of ND grads.

Problem is when I am at the widest angle ie 10mm on my Sigma 10-20mm lens, I can see the edges of the filter holder in my shots and have to crop them down.

Is this a familiar problem, that there is an easy fix for? I have a set of Cokin P Series ND grads which are small ones, I am aware that the larger X Pro series dont have the same problem, and is there an easy solution, or is it a case of just putting up with it?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ganto 8 769 2 Ireland
31 Jul 2008 12:17PM
Put up with it or buy the bigger ones I'm afraid!

P.
Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
31 Jul 2008 12:44PM
I haven't got a 10-20 so it's not a problem for me, but looking through some older threads on here people have bought a wide angle "P" filter holder which holds just one filter at a time, or they've sawn off the outer parts of the standard filter P holder.

Have a look at these:
link
link
link

Hopefully the links work... If you're careful with what you search under in the "Forums" search page, there's a few other people with the same problems and possible solutions.

Hope that helps.
Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
31 Jul 2008 12:45PM
I searched under "Cokin P 10mm"...
sut68 11 2.0k 76 England
31 Jul 2008 12:50PM
You'll just have to put up with it I'm afraid Mark, the P series is far too small for that lens. Either the Z-Pro or X-Pro series is required.

Instead of cropping afterward though [as this reduces the pixel count of your shot], zoom in a little at the shooting stage and you'll get the same effect but keep the pixel count up - just keep an eye on them corners though.

Paul
31 Jul 2008 12:51PM
Brill, thats exactly what I need, I will get one ordered today.

Thanks very much for the tips, should have searched the forum first, ooops Wink
Vespa 8 77 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2008 12:57PM
I don't know if you have tried this shop but I have bought lots of film and batteries off them. They also sell filters at good prices...
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=1&type=1330&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=
31 Jul 2008 12:58PM
Cheers for replying Paul, they apparently now make a wide angle holder which holds just 1 filter (Cokin BWP700A ultra wide angle holder), that will do for me, as long as I cant see the holder in my shots Smile The folk in the shop I bought them, didnt mention there would be any problems, which annoys me slightly, as I did tell them which lens I was using.
Anyway, thanks for replying mate
Mark
31 Jul 2008 1:00PM
Thanks George will give them a look
Ta
Mark
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2008 3:02PM
Theres also a cheat Mark. Buy an x-pro adaptor ring. This has a large flat metal ring (have a look at Mand's). In the past I have used three pieces of bluetac attached to the ring to hold my filters in place. As an added advantage by playing with the bluetac you can align your filters at different angles - the kind of thing that you usually need a Lee professional adptor ring to do. The down side of this cheat is that it can be a little fiddly to do in the field - although it really isn't that hard.

One other thing to be wary of - cokin nd grads are not neutral, especially if you combine them (say a five stop combo) in strong light. Often I find a pink colour cast by doing this - and this is with x-pro. It was down right dreadful with the p serise - although I read on a forum post sometime ago that cokin have corrected it.

Rgds,

Adam
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2008 3:03PM
Just realised that I have advised you to take a look at Mand's ring - umm - I had better leave that there Wink
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
31 Jul 2008 3:46PM

Quote:as long as I cant see the holder in my shots

I have this combo and you do still see the holder sometimes, particularly if you are using a circular polariser also. It's never been a great problem thanks to PS or shoot at 12mm instead of 10mm.
31 Jul 2008 3:47PM
LOL Thanks Adam for your tips, I only really want to use 1 filter at a time, so I am going to get the wide angle holder, and that should sort it out.
Cheers
Mark

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.