Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Filters for Wide Angle 10-20mm lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

paddyman
paddyman e2 Member 566 forum postspaddyman vcard United Kingdom
6 Oct 2009 - 3:47 PM

Hi i have purchased a sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC LENS..
and i am looking to buy some sort of filters to go with this lens.the instructions that come with the lens says that when using a polarizing filter with AF camera use only the circular type, does this rule out the likes of cokin filters ..
thanks for any help that you can give me..Alec

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2009 - 3:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock
6 Oct 2009 - 4:14 PM

Cokin do Circular polarisers - circular refers to how it polarises the light, not the shape of the filter. That said, Cokin's CPL filters are round anyway, so you can rotate them to the angle you desire.

However, unless I'm mistaken the smallest filter size you can successfully use with that lens is Z_Pro, which means "rather pricey" especially for a CPL. Considering that the results with a CPL are not usually very satisfactory (because the lens has such a wide field of view that you often include fully polarised and fully unpolarised light in the same frame, leading to a dark stripe in a blue sky instead of a nice dark, even sky) I suggest that you consider whether or not you really want a CPL to use with it.

Other Cokin filters will be fine, however - NDs, Grads, etc, no problem.

KRs
Chris

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 6 Oct 2009 - 4:15 PM
EleanorMaw
6 Oct 2009 - 6:55 PM

I bought the hoya 77mm filter for my Tamron 10-24mm as it's flatter and is less likely to get lens flare.

paddyman
6 Oct 2009 - 7:54 PM

Quote: Cokin do Circular polarisers - circular refers to how it polarises the light, not the shape of the filter. That said, Cokin's CPL filters are round anyway, so you can rotate them to the angle you desire.

However, unless I'm mistaken the smallest filter size you can successfully use with that lens is Z_Pro, which means "rather pricey" especially for a CPL. Considering that the results with a CPL are not usually very satisfactory (because the lens has such a wide field of view that you often include fully polarised and fully unpolarised light in the same frame, leading to a dark stripe in a blue sky instead of a nice dark, even sky) I suggest that you consider whether or not you really want a CPL to use with it.

Other Cokin filters will be fine, however - NDs, Grads, etc, no problem.

KRs
Chris

paddyman
6 Oct 2009 - 7:55 PM

thanks for the info,,what about the lee wide angle filter? it fits closer to the lens?????

Last Modified By paddyman at 6 Oct 2009 - 7:56 PM
chris.maddock
6 Oct 2009 - 8:15 PM

Probably - I only mentioned the Z-Pro filters coz that's what I've seen other users of that lens talk about in here. Since both those and the Lees are 100mm wide both will probably work OK.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
7 Oct 2009 - 10:10 PM

Down to basics - it is impossible to get even colour enhancement or darker blue sky wider than about 28mm on a cropped sensor - because that is how pols work.
A slightly wider angle (about 24mm) is OK for reflections off water - though if water is only in the central part of the image the lens angle ceases to be an issue.
If you already have a lens covering 24mm and longer are you sure you want to spend money to often get a second rate pol effect due to the extreme wide angle of the lens?

JanieB43
JanieB43  547 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2009 - 4:53 PM

I've just bought a Sigma circular polariser for my 18-55mm canon and am REALLY pleased with the results. I'm not sure if Sigma do polarisers for the 10-20mm - check out Warehouse Express - that's where I got mine from.
Jane

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2009 - 5:05 PM

I have used a 77mm polariser on the Sigma 10-20 and as Len says the sky does weird things. probably not worth it I would say. Fortunately I have other lenses with a 77mm screw fit (17-55 and 70-200) that can take the polariser without causing the uneven colour.

If you want filters eg ND grads then the Lee wideangle foundation kit and the 77mm adapter ring is the way to go - you can buy cheaper (than Lee) filters to fit the holder if you come out in a cold sweat at their price!.

paulcr
paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2009 - 11:33 PM

This shot was taken with a circular polariser on a sigma 10-20. I've no complaints. paul

Last Modified By paulcr at 31 Oct 2009 - 11:33 PM
strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2009 - 11:36 PM

The problem tends to occur more dramatically when you use the lens in landscape orientation and I think Len overstates the case a bit, but I do tend to find it on days when you can see the sky.

Your photo manages to avoid blue skys. I tend to use the polariser for water shots these days.

Last Modified By strawman at 31 Oct 2009 - 11:37 PM
AngieLatham
1 Nov 2009 - 10:14 AM

I would save your money on the polorizer and buy the Lee foundation kit instead , I had exactly the same probs as those above. It just sits in my kit bag with dust on it now

(maybe you could make me an offer! Wink )

Last Modified By AngieLatham at 1 Nov 2009 - 10:15 AM
southlakesphotographer

i use a Canon 10-22 and never put a polorizor on it due to the uneven effect you get, it makes no differance if it is a 77mm screw thread (needs to be ultra thin though) or my Lee polorizoz. i would save your money untill you can buy a 24mm prime then a Lee polorizor

Glynn
Glynn  81169 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2009 - 10:26 PM

First of all congratulations on purchasing a stunning lens.
Second, Lee are the best as you have read in some comments above, but, it does mean spending money.
Third, Buy what you can afford and if you stick to a decent branded filter then you will not go far wrong
One thing though, as mentioned above if you go with screw filters you will need to but=y the 'ultra thin' one's and square cokin type will have to be the X or Z size as the P and A size will not work with this lens
Hope this helps
Glynn

Last Modified By Glynn at 1 Nov 2009 - 10:26 PM
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
3 Nov 2009 - 8:58 PM

Quote: This shot was taken with a circular polariser on a sigma 10-20. I've no complaints. paul

Yes - but !!!
The sky is overcast - not ideal lighting to get a strong pol landscape effect.
Here is what I said " it is impossible to get even colour enhancement or darker blue sky wider than about 28mm on a cropped sensor - because that is how pols work.
Can't see much blue sky in this shot Smile

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 3 Nov 2009 - 9:00 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.