Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

fim scanner software and hardware compatibility

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pablophotographer

Hello folks!

I have a compatibility issue with my Traveler TV6500 35mm film scanner and my hardware that runs Windows 8. Once connected via the USB, the scanner is not recognised by the laptop. The installation disc aborts installation procedure mid way. I have spoken with the technical support and they told me its software is not compatible with Windows 8 but it can run with Windows 7. I was told by them that during the installation I should have a window popping up and asking to search for compatible software but I don't see such a thing. I might have stopped pop up windows appearing in the browser but this should not stop this coming up, I guess.
    Can anyone help me on how to find this compatible software and make the scanner work?
    My previous laptop had its motherboard burnt/hard disc not working either so no help from there - and Windows were pre-installed.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Sep 2013 - 4:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    12 Sep 2013 - 4:53 PM

Don't know for sure - but many similar problems have been solved with VueScan. Maybe try a free trial download.

shagnasty
    shagnasty  7
    12 Sep 2013 - 5:02 PM

If your old program has problems with Windows 8, follow these steps:
    Right-click the program's icon and choose Properties.
    When the Properties dialog box appears, click the Compatibility tab and then click the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter button.
    In its robotic way, Windows 8 tries to guess what version of Windows your program needs, and then it applies the changes.
    If the program begins working, you're through.
    If the program still has trouble, though, move to Step 3.
    In the Compatibility Mode section, select the Run This Program in Compatibility Mode For check box and select the program's desired Windows version from the drop-down list.

or look at its manual to see what version of Windows it expects.
    Click OK and then try running your program again to see whether it works better.
    If your older program doesn't run, it's time to upgrade to a newer version.
    Follow the instructions that came with scanner. The installation process is quite particular as to the order that things are done, when the USB is connected etc. If the installation process completes successfully some of the software might then get updated, but not into Windows 8. If that update process does start it will be an automatic one.
    Your scanner setup was written for Windows XP & Vista and is therefore quite an old piece of technology. But for the price....good value

Hope that this helps you move forward

Rgds
    Pat

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Sep 2013 - 10:09 PM

Quote: Can anyone help me on how to find this compatible software and make the scanner work?

Check the scanner manufacturers website for compatible drivers, if scanner manufacturer has not created a windows 8 compatible driver it means the scanner's manufacturer is a greedy bas***rd who want you fork out on a new scanner.

chavender
    chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Sep 2013 - 10:11 PM

You could try vuescan

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Sep 2013 - 10:13 PM

Another vote for VueScan, I installed it when my ancient scanner was not supported by Windows 8.
    Works better than the manufacturers software ever did.

pablophotographer

I would like to thank everyone so far for their input and Pat especially for their time. I shall update you what the job is done, hey, then you may notice more pictures being added to my portfolio.

MrDennis
    MrDennis  5227 forum posts Wales
    25 Sep 2013 - 2:13 PM

Don't Hesitate---Get VUESCAN..Great program.

pablophotographer

Thank you , I have not had time to amend the program, would VIEWSCAN sort out the fact that the scanner device is not currently recognised by the hardware?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.