Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Finding it difficult to sell work

dynexclick 9 19 1 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2006 8:36AM
Hi everyone,

A work colleague found out i was a budding artist. She asked me to show her some landscapes and was really eager to have some for her new house.

I let the lady borrow a selection of proofs and told her I would charge her 10 per 10 x 8 unframed.

She brought my proofs back saying they where too expensive. This was a woman whos husband is an accountant. 20 mins later she was discussing with another work colleague about her new 1000 widescreen TV.

Has anyone else come accross this where people are initially willing to purchase then back off?

I'de rather not sell my work than have it under valued.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
25 Feb 2006 8:46AM
Yes get this all the time ,even when the pics are of the people involved in sport etc
keep trying somebody will like your work, perhaps you are too cheap, that can often be the case people feel by spending 100s they are getting quality, put price up to 100 per pic and maybe you will sell
Mark_Readman 9 922
25 Feb 2006 8:47AM
She may have copied them, ??
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Feb 2006 8:48AM
Welcome to the world of retail.

I recently had the opportunity to open a photographic gallery in Leeds in a very upmarket building in the very best area of the city.

One of the people who was to be in the partnership decided to do some market research and stood close to Harvey Nicks with a collection of photography...some of it very well known and costing in excess of 2000. The question was, what would you be willing to pay for a One Off, exclusive print of A,B,C etc.

These were people whose monthly clothing budget fell into the 500-1000 bracket, people who thought nothing of paying over 100 for a light meal....the average guestimate was 50....these people bought most of their wall hangings from Ikea!!!!
ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
25 Feb 2006 8:51AM

at a local very high brow gallery, a friend had canvas prints at 350 plus ,I though good profit, then took into consideration 50% commision, plus heavy printing costs for canvas mounted, probally next to nothing left over for the photographer
keithh e2
25 Feb 2006 8:59AM
I've pulled out of gallery selling almost totally now...the commissions and customer numbers are both hurtful and woeful. I'm now pursuing very different outlets.
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
25 Feb 2006 11:13AM

Quote:I'm now pursuing very different outlets.

And when the new Ikea opens up over here in a couple of months, you'll get a few more sales Wink
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
25 Feb 2006 12:02PM
Yes, but are people really going to go for an assemble-it-yourself Henson with instructions in Swedish? :o)
keithh e2
25 Feb 2006 12:18PM
of course - The Smurgenscape.
Jay44 8 1.4k Wales
25 Feb 2006 12:22PM
Photography is the least appreciated art form!

here endith the lesson!
TimJ 11 482 2 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2006 12:36PM
Hi Stuart,

Yes it happens. It may have been that she liked your work and wanted to buy it but it wasn't to her husband's taste. Sometimes people find it easier to give another excuse.

They're loads of great photographers out their who find it hard to sell their work. You have the right attitude by not selling your work for less than you think it's worth.

This will cheer you up, I just saw this which recently sold for 80!
dynexclick 9 19 1 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2006 3:39PM
Thank you to everyone who inputted on my topic.

Yes, Id'e rather put the pics on my own wall than under value myself and other photographers out there.

My mum cant shift for my pics at her house lol.
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2006 11:18PM
The truth is that photographic prints are a luxury item, which is why they are priced as such - and why sale volumes are small.

We also need to recognise that the economy is not doing so well either at the moment - look at the problems the high street stores have right now. When people cut their spending, it is the luxury items which are the first to go.

Mattw
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2006 1:09AM
Last photograph I saw in a local gallery was a framed polaroid of a railway signal in silhouette (blurry)against a blue sky for 50.00! Know the gallery owner quite well & they do sell very good paintings, but I did have to take him to task over that one.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
28 Feb 2006 1:35AM
And the reply was ... ?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.