Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Finding it difficult to sell work

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dynexclick
25 Feb 2006 - 8:36 AM

Hi everyone,

A work colleague found out i was a budding artist. She asked me to show her some landscapes and was really eager to have some for her new house.

I let the lady borrow a selection of proofs and told her I would charge her 10 per 10 x 8 unframed.

She brought my proofs back saying they where too expensive. This was a woman whos husband is an accountant. 20 mins later she was discussing with another work colleague about her new 1000 widescreen TV.

Has anyone else come accross this where people are initially willing to purchase then back off?

I'de rather not sell my work than have it under valued.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Feb 2006 - 8:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2006 - 8:46 AM

Yes get this all the time ,even when the pics are of the people involved in sport etc
keep trying somebody will like your work, perhaps you are too cheap, that can often be the case people feel by spending 100s they are getting quality, put price up to 100 per pic and maybe you will sell

Mark_Readman
25 Feb 2006 - 8:47 AM

She may have copied them, ??

keithh
keithh  1022727 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2006 - 8:48 AM

Welcome to the world of retail.

I recently had the opportunity to open a photographic gallery in Leeds in a very upmarket building in the very best area of the city.

One of the people who was to be in the partnership decided to do some market research and stood close to Harvey Nicks with a collection of photography...some of it very well known and costing in excess of 2000. The question was, what would you be willing to pay for a One Off, exclusive print of A,B,C etc.

These were people whose monthly clothing budget fell into the 500-1000 bracket, people who thought nothing of paying over 100 for a light meal....the average guestimate was 50....these people bought most of their wall hangings from Ikea!!!!

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2006 - 8:51 AM

at a local very high brow gallery, a friend had canvas prints at 350 plus ,I though good profit, then took into consideration 50% commision, plus heavy printing costs for canvas mounted, probally next to nothing left over for the photographer

keithh
25 Feb 2006 - 8:59 AM

I've pulled out of gallery selling almost totally now...the commissions and customer numbers are both hurtful and woeful. I'm now pursuing very different outlets.

UserRemoved
25 Feb 2006 - 11:13 AM

Quote: I'm now pursuing very different outlets.

And when the new Ikea opens up over here in a couple of months, you'll get a few more sales Wink

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2006 - 12:02 PM

Yes, but are people really going to go for an assemble-it-yourself Henson with instructions in Swedish? :o)

keithh
25 Feb 2006 - 12:18 PM

of course - The Smurgenscape.

Jay44
Jay44  81443 forum posts Wales
25 Feb 2006 - 12:22 PM

Photography is the least appreciated art form!

here endith the lesson!

TimJ
TimJ  10482 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2006 - 12:36 PM

Hi Stuart,

Yes it happens. It may have been that she liked your work and wanted to buy it but it wasn't to her husband's taste. Sometimes people find it easier to give another excuse.

They're loads of great photographers out their who find it hard to sell their work. You have the right attitude by not selling your work for less than you think it's worth.

This will cheer you up, I just saw this which recently sold for 80!

dynexclick
27 Feb 2006 - 3:39 PM

Thank you to everyone who inputted on my topic.

Yes, Id'e rather put the pics on my own wall than under value myself and other photographers out there.

My mum cant shift for my pics at her house lol.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2006 - 11:18 PM

The truth is that photographic prints are a luxury item, which is why they are priced as such - and why sale volumes are small.

We also need to recognise that the economy is not doing so well either at the moment - look at the problems the high street stores have right now. When people cut their spending, it is the luxury items which are the first to go.

Mattw

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2006 - 1:09 AM

Last photograph I saw in a local gallery was a framed polaroid of a railway signal in silhouette (blurry)against a blue sky for 50.00! Know the gallery owner quite well & they do sell very good paintings, but I did have to take him to task over that one.

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2006 - 1:35 AM

And the reply was ... ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.