Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fine Art

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 8:50 AM

Quote: Its her perception, and to her its real, but in reality, its olive.

Er, no. 'In reality' it is a part of the specturm of sunlight that the majority of people perceive as 'olive'. And then that's only because they know what a certain fruit is supposed to look like.

Last Modified By joolsb at 20 Dec 2012 - 8:53 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2012 - 8:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46147 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 9:38 AM

Quote: 'For me...' is opinion.

Exactly.
No-one has yet defined 'fine art' in terms that is not open to personal opinon (including yours), and the use of the term has drifted from what you or others may understand in its strictest (traditional) meaning.

Quote: So a projected image or reprint in a book or magazine means the original is no longer fine art?

Good question. If I as a punter went into a shop to by a 'fine art picture' expectations would include quality of mounting etc.Yet I can buy a 'fine art postcard'.
Go figure.

paulcookphotography

Quote: 'For me...' is opinion.

Exactly.
No-one has yet defined 'fine art' in terms that is not open to personal opinon (including yours), and the use of the term has drifted from what you or others may understand in its strictest (traditional) meaning.

I didnt offer an opinion (of fine art). I gave the definition by the OED, Glasgow School of Art and the artistic community. My only 'opinion' is that people are choosing to ignore information to suit their own opinions

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41176 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 10:48 AM

I still have no problem with your definitions, the OED's or whoever, if it works for you, then fine. I just don't think the originator is the one who should decide whether something is fine art or not. We usually infer, whether you like it or not, that something 'fine art' is somehow better than just 'art'.
Monet never sold his pictures by claiming them as 'groundbreaking Impressionism' or anything like that, he painted and people either liked or disliked them.

The problem is, where does photography end and fine art photography start? Whether its pictorial, editorial, commercial or even abstract? How do you define something that has no apparent boundaries, and which anyone can call their work, regardless of its quality?

Last Modified By Sooty_1 at 20 Dec 2012 - 10:49 AM
paulcookphotography

Either way, the origin of the thread asks if anyone could offer the definition of fine art, not their opinion or whether there is such a thing or an individual's taste in art

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 20 Dec 2012 - 10:56 AM
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41176 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 1:41 PM

Then I guess the answer is.....no, not definitively.

paulcookphotography

Only if you choose to ignore or question the definition

Sooty_1
20 Dec 2012 - 4:58 PM

I think the fact we are on the seventh page of argument would suggest we haven't reached a consensus!

It isn't me that has a problem with the definitions, but its funny that there are almost as many as there are sources.

paulcookphotography

Just because the people in a thread haven't agreed on a definition does not mean there isn't one. Some here cant even agree there is such a thing as fine art, or confuse it with something else.

It's like the argument that man never landed on the moon. Many opinions and theories, but it doesn't mean the moon doesn't exist

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 6:40 PM

Sorry, I haven't read any replies on here, there are too many!! I'm just going to answer the OP, to me, a fine art photo is one that has some kind of artistic feel to it rather than just being a straight forward photo, whether that means it has been processed to actually look like a painting or whether the whole thing is a concept idea, to me it is an image that has strong artistic tendencies, something that you can hang on your wall and wouldn't look out of place in an art gallery rather than just a photo gallery.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 8:02 PM

About as close as anyone is going to get Anna Smile Anyway, my daughter is a mighty fine artist and don't anyone say otherwise! Elisa McLeod

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2012 - 9:37 PM

I had a look Gaucho, They are beautiful Smile

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122198 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thank you Liz. I'm biased of course, but she is beginning to make her way in what is a quite difficult career Grin

And for those who do not understand fine art, neither did I, but I am glad I made the effort.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 8:48 AM

Looks like we should all just forget about it and go drink some 'Fine Wine'!

comma
comma  697 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 11:11 AM

I think its generally accepted that Fine Art is something where creativity and artistic intent are the overriding motives for its production, as opposed to art that is produced with a more functional perspective. Neither are mutually exclusive. I also dont believe when the phrase was coined, it was with any intent to be a statement regarding a piece of work's quality. imho, artistic quality is for the viewer, listener etc to discern. I think anybody can call their work fine art, whether it is appreciated or recognised as being a piece of high quality is an entirely different matter.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.