Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fine Art

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41201 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 11:22 AM

Quote: Looks like we should all just forget about it and go drink some 'Fine Wine'!

I'm not pretentious enough, I'll just have wine, thank you. Or maybe a pint of Baileys (other alcohol and cream-based beverages are available).

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Dec 2012 - 11:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
23 Dec 2012 - 2:11 PM

Quote: Looks like we should all just forget about it and go drink some 'Fine Wine'!

I'm not pretentious enough, I'll just have wine, thank you. Or maybe a pint of Baileys (other alcohol and cream-based beverages are available).

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

That, probably, would be a fitting point to close this fine thread of discussion.

Sad

paulbroad
paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom850 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2012 - 7:36 PM

Oh boy. I think I now know the answer to my question. It does include the consumption of booze.

By the way, a pleb is a plebean, a member of the proletariat. It's not an insult at all, just a bit of Latin which I can' t spell. Failed Latin at GCE. Yes, I did do Latin, old fashioned grammar school, or real education as I like to call it. Better not go off on that tack though!

Was in a local seaside town a few days ago. Looked in the window of a fine art photographer, said so over his shop, further confirmed the opinion I now have.

Paul

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2012 - 10:24 PM

Should you be brave enough to ask David Bailey his answer has been abrupt with its Bxxxxy photography.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2012 - 4:59 AM

if you reject Fine Art as a definable criteria, you basically say you also reject any suggestion that it is present in your own work.
How do you define your own approach to your photography ? how do you define which photographs you keep and which you delete?
I am genuinely interested so I am sure that now we have had a chance to say what we think Fine Art is those that have rejected it will have plenty to say on what Fine Art is not, and how and they guard against the accusation that they have ventured in to Fine Art territory with there own images.

lemmy
lemmy  71835 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Dec 2012 - 6:27 PM

Why does anyone need to define these things?

User_Removed
30 Dec 2012 - 12:48 PM

There is a very interesting article on the subject of Fine Art photography in next month's issue of Photography Monthly. The author - someone called Simon Booth - defines it as:

Quote: ....fine art is different as the pictures don't have to educate or inform, or document an event, neither do the pictures necessarily have to tell a story. Fine art photographic images are fundamentally just pleasing to take and look at; they are pictures that tickle the image taste buds of your audience and emotionally connect them to where the photograph was taken, so they feel how the photographer felt the moment the shutter button was pressed.....

which ties in with what Paul Cook said several pages back, when he suggested, much more concisely, that:

Quote: Generally fine art is considered art that is created to create emotion rather than reproduce a scene.

paulbroad
paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom850 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 9:20 PM

So, according to that definition, almost every picture that I take of my grandchildren is, to me and usually my wife, fine art? I can agree with that one.

By the way, we recently had a treat. A visit to a 'fine dining' resteraunt. As soon as I got home I raided the fridge as I needed some food.

Paul

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 11:05 PM

USA customs and excise define fine art as something that could be described as being completely useless. Wink

lemmy
lemmy  71835 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 - 10:23 AM

Quote: Fine art photographic images are fundamentally just pleasing to take and look at; they are pictures that tickle the image taste buds of your audience and emotionally connect them to where the photograph was taken

They are images often with influences as diverse as Wittgenstein and Warhol, new synergies synthesised from both opaque and transparent layers. As undefined shades of grey become frozen through perceptual and para-impressionist practice, the viewer is left with an intimation of the corners of our culture, a place yet not a place, time from time but not of time. Instant yet brooding, filled with vibrancy and colour yet concurrently monochromatic.

We used to call them postcards in my day.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110243 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 12:30 PM

Quote: We used to call them postcards in my day.

Last year CADArts our local Arts and Craft umbrella group put on an open exhibition /competition for images created in a 6"x4" postcard format and a lot of the results were amazing and would meet the Fine Art description in my view, so maybe we can still call them "Postcards" Lemmy Grin (A gallery full of 6"x4" pictures in standard 10" x 8" white mounts and frames was a remarkably attractive sight, much to my surprise )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 31 Jan 2013 - 12:32 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.