Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Fine Art

Sooty_1 4 1.2k 202 United Kingdom
23 Dec 2012 11:22AM

Quote:Looks like we should all just forget about it and go drink some 'Fine Wine'!

I'm not pretentious enough, I'll just have wine, thank you. Or maybe a pint of Baileys (other alcohol and cream-based beverages are available).

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Dec 2012 2:11PM

Quote:Looks like we should all just forget about it and go drink some 'Fine Wine'!

I'm not pretentious enough, I'll just have wine, thank you. Or maybe a pint of Baileys (other alcohol and cream-based beverages are available).

TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

That, probably, would be a fitting point to close this fine thread of discussion.

Sad
paulbroad 7 82 866 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2012 7:36PM
Oh boy. I think I now know the answer to my question. It does include the consumption of booze.

By the way, a pleb is a plebean, a member of the proletariat. It's not an insult at all, just a bit of Latin which I can' t spell. Failed Latin at GCE. Yes, I did do Latin, old fashioned grammar school, or real education as I like to call it. Better not go off on that tack though!

Was in a local seaside town a few days ago. Looked in the window of a fine art photographer, said so over his shop, further confirmed the opinion I now have.

Paul
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2012 10:24PM
Should you be brave enough to ask David Bailey his answer has been abrupt with its Bxxxxy photography.
LVanDhal 2 126 1 United Kingdom
25 Dec 2012 4:59AM
if you reject Fine Art as a definable criteria, you basically say you also reject any suggestion that it is present in your own work.
How do you define your own approach to your photography ? how do you define which photographs you keep and which you delete?
I am genuinely interested so I am sure that now we have had a chance to say what we think Fine Art is those that have rejected it will have plenty to say on what Fine Art is not, and how and they guard against the accusation that they have ventured in to Fine Art territory with there own images.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
25 Dec 2012 6:27PM
Why does anyone need to define these things?
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Dec 2012 12:48PM
There is a very interesting article on the subject of Fine Art photography in next month's issue of Photography Monthly. The author - someone called Simon Booth - defines it as:

Quote:....fine art is different as the pictures don't have to educate or inform, or document an event, neither do the pictures necessarily have to tell a story. Fine art photographic images are fundamentally just pleasing to take and look at; they are pictures that tickle the image taste buds of your audience and emotionally connect them to where the photograph was taken, so they feel how the photographer felt the moment the shutter button was pressed.....

which ties in with what Paul Cook said several pages back, when he suggested, much more concisely, that:

Quote:Generally fine art is considered art that is created to create emotion rather than reproduce a scene.

paulbroad 7 82 866 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 9:20PM
So, according to that definition, almost every picture that I take of my grandchildren is, to me and usually my wife, fine art? I can agree with that one.

By the way, we recently had a treat. A visit to a 'fine dining' resteraunt. As soon as I got home I raided the fridge as I needed some food.

Paul
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Jan 2013 11:05PM
USA customs and excise define fine art as something that could be described as being completely useless. Wink
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 10:23AM

Quote: Fine art photographic images are fundamentally just pleasing to take and look at; they are pictures that tickle the image taste buds of your audience and emotionally connect them to where the photograph was taken

They are images often with influences as diverse as Wittgenstein and Warhol, new synergies synthesised from both opaque and transparent layers. As undefined shades of grey become frozen through perceptual and para-impressionist practice, the viewer is left with an intimation of the corners of our culture, a place yet not a place, time from time but not of time. Instant yet brooding, filled with vibrancy and colour yet concurrently monochromatic.

We used to call them postcards in my day.
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 12:30PM

Quote:We used to call them postcards in my day.

Last year CADArts our local Arts and Craft umbrella group put on an open exhibition /competition for images created in a 6"x4" postcard format and a lot of the results were amazing and would meet the Fine Art description in my view, so maybe we can still call them "Postcards" Lemmy Grin (A gallery full of 6"x4" pictures in standard 10" x 8" white mounts and frames was a remarkably attractive sight, much to my surprise )

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.