Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fire works photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    WalidD300
    WalidD300  668 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 12:02 AM

It is nearly 5th Nov where fireworks are held in Glasgow

Can you recommend/Advice of any techniques/settings you may have tried

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Oct 2009 - 12:02 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Slippery_Jim
    30 Oct 2009 - 12:19 AM

Tripod, wide angle lens, cable release, high F stop to maximise DOF, up to you as to shutter speed, slow shutter speed for catching multiple bursts with plenty of streaks etc.....

just my 2 penneth

astrostu
    astrostu  4 United States
    30 Oct 2009 - 12:39 AM

Definitely a tripod and cable release / remote. I recommend a small aperture, as well, but for a different reason: You'll want to take relatively long (~few seconds) exposures. I've tried the fast ones with very little success.

Otherwise, fireworks - for me - are very hit-or-miss. The last time I tried to photograph them (2006) I took about 120 photos. I kept about a dozen. My three best are here.

LensYews
    LensYews  51302 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 1:08 AM

Quote: Tripod, wide angle lens, cable release, high F stop to maximise DOF, up to you as to shutter speed, slow shutter speed for catching multiple bursts with plenty of streaks etc.....

Get there early, find an unobstructed view (remembering there may be crowds in front of you later), and if you can find out about the display from the organisers.

and a torch, so you can set the camera up in the dark. Manual mode, low ISO, flash off. Perhaps, portrait mode on a wide angle setting. watch the sky where you've focused rather than the camera's viewfinder or live view.

long ish exposures using blub mode, opening the shutter just before the explosion and closing as the firework starts to fade, or extend and try and capture a few explosions on the same image (beware of leaving the shutter open too long or you will get over exposure).

discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 8:49 AM

Find a vantage point that has a recognisable feature in the forground. Most firework photos fail because there's a lot of dead space. Try to compose an image that works without the gunpowder. The rockets will accentuate it, and you'll get a stronger image. I shoot mine in bulb mode, with manual pre-focusing. You can lock the shutter open, and use something to cover the lens in between explosions. This will allow you to build up the amount of colour in the photo by uncovering the lens for each burst. The trick is to work out the correct exposure time without any fireworks first. Then you can make sure that as you uncover the lens, you count up the seconds each time so that you don't burn out your frames.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 8:54 AM

Technique here: Firework photography

LensYews
    LensYews  51302 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 8:08 PM

Amazing what's hidden away in the EPZ archives

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 8:15 PM

Quote: Amazing what's hidden away in the EPZ archives

Its a veritable Aladdin's Cave. You just have to find the right lamp to rub! Smile

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2009 - 8:39 PM

Given how it's throwing it down here right now, wellies would be a good addition to your arsenal, seriously, you'll be standing on grass that has dire drainage (and as this particular grass is less than a mile away I imagine you might not even be able to see it right now!) The Green gets packed for fireworks night, and I mean stowed out, can't move, packed, you'll struggle to get a good viewpoint without half a dozen people trying to stand on you.

Now a good place, away from the crowds, would possibly be Monteith Row above the People's Palace - solid paved ground, with a good backdrop. You'll have to get there very early though as they close off a LOT of the surrounding area to herd people in away from the fireworks. You will probably miss the ground level fireworks from up there, but should have better access to the sky. If I wasn't in Pitlochry that night I'd join you, have fun!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.