Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Firefox 4 - ePHOTOzine blisteringly fast

dcash29 9 1.9k England
23 Mar 2011 9:53PM
just upgrade to FF4.0 ...everything is far faster

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
23 Mar 2011 10:18PM

Quote:just upgrade to FF4.0 ...everything is far faster

Yep!
Same here.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
23 Mar 2011 11:16PM
You obviously have not tried IE9 with all the updates & add ons......Grin

For those who like playing with different web browsers and have yet to try IE9, Here is a tip.....Smile

Don't assume that all the bits & bobs like " Flash Player " & " Java " will come neatly packed in with the main IE9 update or download.....!

Once you have downloaded and installed IE9, You should then make sure to update Flash & Java......!!

AND don't forget to do the Java thing in both 32bit & 64bit browsers, For those with 64bit systems.....!!!

As yet Adobe don't seem to have been able to cobble together a release version of " Flash Player " for the 64bit IE9 browser.....!!!!

They keep threatening to.......But don't hold your breath......Sad

Wink

Just ran FF4 and its no faster than my IE9 32bit browser, In fact FF4 is a tad slower on some sites.

Could just be that the damp string between my gaff and the exchange, Is a little damper than usual....Tongue

Or maybe there is no real magic in the FF4 mix......!!!!!!!!!!!
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2011 11:21PM
It matches with my experience in that Chrome for a while was faster than FireFox and that sadly Firefox had fallen behind on pace in version 3. I still think chrome has some advantages.
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
23 Mar 2011 11:21PM
Have installed IE9 on my W7 PC but it doesn't appear to be compatible with XP. Speed appears about the same as FF

Still prefer the Chrome interface Smile
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
24 Mar 2011 1:15AM
Yep...just installed FF4 and epz is faster...BUT...yahoo mail no longer works...erseSad
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2011 6:50AM
I cant use Firefox, everytime I've tried I just get Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a a file.. blah blah. But it is there, it installs Sad
dcash29 9 1.9k England
24 Mar 2011 6:54AM

Quote:You obviously have not tried IE9 with all the updates & add ons

I wouldn't consider loading IE with the slow speed/site connect issues Ive had in the past.

If I'm happy with something i generally stick with it. A millisecond here or there isn't that important
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
24 Mar 2011 7:46AM

Quote:Yep...just installed FF4 and epz is faster...BUT...yahoo mail no longer works...erseSad

I had that...had to reset my password for it to work Smile
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
24 Mar 2011 9:06AM

Quote:Yep...just installed FF4 and epz is faster...BUT...yahoo mail no longer works...erseSad

I had that...had to reset my password for it to work Smile

It seems ok now. Seems to have been a coincidental issue at the server side as it wouldn't work with Chrome either but is OK this morning.

FF4 does seem very fast.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
24 Mar 2011 9:08AM
Since installing FF4, I seem to have lost the Progress Bar at the bottom right of the screen. Anybody else?
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
24 Mar 2011 9:12AM

Quote:Since installing FF4, I seem to have lost the Progress Bar at the bottom right of the screen. Anybody else?

I lost my Alexa tool and various other stuff I had on the bottom . I found it under View menu and added it back. View > Toolbars Add on Bar (not sure if it's connected with the speed, but worth a try)
24 Mar 2011 10:05AM
That one threw me too for a few minutes. They have renamed the progress bar to the 'addon bar'. I have been running it with some addons and site is still quite fast.

Regardless of browser choice, the more add-ons/toolbars/plugins/extensions you have the more likely your browser will get slower because of them so it's important to only ever run what you need. Firefox has the ability to install addons but disable them. So when you come to a point that you need it, just re-enable.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
24 Mar 2011 8:43PM

Quote:I found it under View menu and added it back. View > Toolbars Add on Bar

OK got the Add On Bar back but it still doesn't have the Progress Bar in it.
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
24 Mar 2011 9:16PM
I can't find a dropdown list for the back button so that I can just jump several pages at once. Surely we don't have to jump back 1 page at a time? Easy solutions gratefully accepted! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.