Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Firewire card reader

Graywolf 7 965 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 3:46PM
Is it possible to get a compact flash card reader using firewire 400 or 800. If so could anyone recommend one please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Freefall e2
11 675 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 4:47PM
You can get them but they're not popular (or cheap). Quick search of google (search for: firewire card reader) should provide sources. Sorry, can't recommend one - I use USB 2.0
hollkj e2
10 187 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 5:55PM
Yes - I'm using a sandisk extreme firewire CF reader. Supports both 400 / 800. Mine's connected to a PCIe firewire800 card and with a good speed CF get around 38mb/sec off it.

Freefall is right though in that they are not cheap - 70 ish, but if you have a lot of large capacity cards the extra read speed is useful. The readers can also be stacked so if you can afford a few of them can download concurrently.

Be interesting to see if any USB 3 readers start hitting the market soon. There are also SATA to CF readers which are meant to be faster still but I've no experience of these.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
9 Dec 2010 5:58PM
I use a Lexar reader. Perfect.
NeilS e2
7 903 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2010 6:07PM
Lexar link here
11 Dec 2010 7:29PM
Another vote for the Lexar reader look for the UDMA reader though, think there's a slower one. From memory it was about 50 well worth it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.