Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Firework display

ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
31 Dec 2007 4:53PM
Hello friends,

I'll be visiting a New Year's firework display in our village on New Year's evening. Now, I've never used my EOS 3 on manual mode ( stupid boy! ) Smile. The confusion in my head regards, as to how to set up the camera for f8 or f11, set the focusing to infinity, then control the exposure with the cable release?

Forgive me for being dim, but I'm not very clever at night-time photography, in the first place.

I thank you in advance for your help. I'll logon later.

Frank.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Lou_C e2
7 755 2 England
31 Dec 2007 5:08PM
I'm not an expert but when I took fireworks on bonfire night I autofocused while there was still a little light, then switched onto manual to stop it searching again, and then switched to shutter priority rather than aperture and varied between 1 and 4 seconds, the ones I prefer came out around 2 seconds Smile
Henchard e2
9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2007 5:41PM
A quick search of the forums will give you lots of information

or even take a look in the techniques section

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/How-to-photograph-fireworks
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
1 Jan 2008 11:26AM
Lou and John,

thank you for your replies. I'll check out the links you've provided.

I didn't logon again last night. I watched TV with Paul McCartney, Lionel Richie and Jools Holland's Hootenaney gig. Once my head gets high on music, nothing else matters!

Frank.
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
2 Jan 2008 11:23AM
Friends,

went to our village hall grounds, set up the camera on a tripod, using 2 rols of slide film.

The camera was in manual mode, I set focus to infinity, set he aperture to f10, then pressed the cable release a bunch of times, using expoures from 2 to 6 seconds.

I was quite close to the firework display, so I took the photos on landscape orientation.

The films are in the post, so I'm hoping they will be ok!

Frank.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.