Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

First battery charge

jryans10 1 12
22 May 2013 12:39PM
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering: when you get a brand new battery for your slr, how long should you charge it first time? I've heard some people say it has to be a long time (ie. overtime). Some just say take it off whenever your charger says it's full - not really sure which to believe.

Thanks
John.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
22 May 2013 1:03PM
I'd charge it for at least 10 hours, or even overnight.

It used to be said that not fully charging a batter the first time would shorten its capacity/ lifetime. but this might no longer be true with today's batteries.

But when the charger says full its fine to remove it as it won't get more charged afterwards.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
22 May 2013 5:48PM
I charge the batteries for the time period recommended in the batteries instruction manual.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
22 May 2013 5:53PM
Until the green light comes on on the charger.
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1 149 United Kingdom
22 May 2013 10:41PM
It is good practice to charge until the battery cools - usually normal cycle + a couple of minutes....
bricurtis e2
9 1.9k 48 England
22 May 2013 10:56PM

Quote:I'd charge it for at least 10 hours, or even overnight.

What to you gain from that - when the charger stops you are only paying for the electric to keep the light on.Smile
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
23 May 2013 8:44PM
Some camera batteries aren't completely charged when the charger indicates a full charge and an extra hour or so is often recommended. I don't think you'll do any harm whatsoever by leaving it charging for a good while and you certainly won't over charge it. Personally I try and give batteries a decent, long charge initially and then keep the charge topped up on a regular basis, after most shoots, unless it was just a handful of shots. The important thing is not to store them for long periods in a discharged state, about 50%-60% capacity is a good option for storage.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.