Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

First battery charge

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jryans10
    jryans10  1
    22 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering: when you get a brand new battery for your slr, how long should you charge it first time? I've heard some people say it has to be a long time (ie. overtime). Some just say take it off whenever your charger says it's full - not really sure which to believe.

Thanks
    John.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 1:03 PM

I'd charge it for at least 10 hours, or even overnight.

It used to be said that not fully charging a batter the first time would shorten its capacity/ lifetime. but this might no longer be true with today's batteries.

But when the charger says full its fine to remove it as it won't get more charged afterwards.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 22 May 2013 - 1:04 PM
    redsnappa
    redsnappa  111900 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 May 2013 - 5:48 PM

I charge the batteries for the time period recommended in the batteries instruction manual.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 54232 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 5:53 PM

Until the green light comes on on the charger.

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

It is good practice to charge until the battery cools - usually normal cycle + a couple of minutes....

bricurtis
    bricurtis e2 Member 91895 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
    22 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Quote: I'd charge it for at least 10 hours, or even overnight.

What to you gain from that - when the charger stops you are only paying for the electric to keep the light on.Smile

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2013 - 8:44 PM

Some camera batteries aren't completely charged when the charger indicates a full charge and an extra hour or so is often recommended. I don't think you'll do any harm whatsoever by leaving it charging for a good while and you certainly won't over charge it. Personally I try and give batteries a decent, long charge initially and then keep the charge topped up on a regular basis, after most shoots, unless it was just a handful of shots. The important thing is not to store them for long periods in a discharged state, about 50%-60% capacity is a good option for storage.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.