Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

First camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kilowatt
    kilowatt e2 Member 4kilowatt vcard United Kingdom
    10 Sep 2013 - 7:02 PM

My 13 year old Grandson is thinking of getting his first digital camera.I am looking at Nikon coolpixl810 or Panasonic Lumix ,
    Any comments would be appreciated
    Regards Kiowatt

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Sep 2013 - 7:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84282 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Sep 2013 - 7:24 PM

First of all, I'd recommend taking him along to see if they 'fit', he might have a preference for the size/weight.

And

Secondly, make sure you start a Portfolio for him in the Junior Gallery section!! Wink

All joking aside, he would be most welcome!

kilowatt
    10 Sep 2013 - 8:22 PM

He is not getting it until Xmas, we are in the process of looking at the moment.But thanks for the reply

Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Sep 2013 - 8:48 PM

If it helps, I asked my six year old Grandson to take a picture of me and his Sister. It's the Lumix TZ-25. I was just about to show hime what to do and he sighed and said .... "GRAMPY!!!!!"

Needless to say he took the picture perfectly. Sure he does not yet know about what it is capable of, but he was whizzing around the screens and features with no difficulty.

I have no knowledge of the Nikon, I'm sure it is equally brilliant. I can only speak for the Lumix. Very good and capable of taking some rather impressive images.

Good luck

Mozzy

scottishphototours

Buy him a Nikon D3200 and a 50mm f1.8 lens....he'll love them both.

Paul_Anthony
    10 Sep 2013 - 11:12 PM

I had my first camera as a prezzie at 13 (23 years ago), a second hand Cosina CT1G, Cosina 50mm lens & a Vivitar 70-200mm, I developed my Ilford film in my schools rarely used darkroom in the art block, Incredibly basic. I taught myself the basics of photography through trial and error (I still have the Jessops bag my parents got me to keep it all in, but sold the camera equipment a couple of years ago.

I agree with Scottishphototours. An entry level DSLR and a quality prime is the way to go, teach him how to use the camera in Manual first with the Auto Focus turned off, he will learn lots and hopefully enjoy the challenge.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84282 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Sep 2013 - 7:26 AM

I'm not sure getting a DSLR as a first camera is a good idea. Having detachable lenses is all very well, but from what I've read in the forums there is a problem with dust getting in the camera, or being a little clumsy can end up with ruining camera/lens.

Also, some (not all) teenagers are incredibly fickle - this week photography, next week cycling/skateboarding/whatever...................surely making sure he is really interested in photography would be a good idea before a lot of money was spent on the equipment. I know there is a lot of snobbery about compacts/bridge cameras and DSLRs, but to be honest it's the person behind the lens that makes the image (okay, I'll concede the quality is better with a DSLR, but how many images will actually get printed/sold).

If he is bitten by the 'photography bug' he can start saving for a DSLR, it would probably mean a lot more to him.

Don't shoot me down, it's just a personal view! Smile

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7876 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    11 Sep 2013 - 7:41 AM

Perhaps something with a touch screen capability and quick shutter release would go down better with youngsters nowadays

scottishphototours

Quote: I had my first camera as a prezzie at 13 (23 years ago), a second hand Cosina CT1G, Cosina 50mm lens & a Vivitar 70-200mm, I developed my Ilford film in my schools rarely used darkroom in the art block, Incredibly basic. I taught myself the basics of photography through trial and error (I still have the Jessops bag my parents got me to keep it all in, but sold the camera equipment a couple of years ago.

I agree with Scottishphototours. An entry level DSLR and a quality prime is the way to go, teach him how to use the camera in Manual first with the Auto Focus turned off, he will learn lots and hopefully enjoy the challenge.

My thinking exactly - and exactly how I started, aged 12...

kilowatt
    11 Sep 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for all input, it's given me a lot to work on.
    Regards kilowtt

KarenFB
    11 Sep 2013 - 11:12 AM

Do come back and let us know which you chose in the end! Smile

kilowatt
    11 Sep 2013 - 1:01 PM

Will do.
    Xmas is not that far away know.
    Thnks again.
    Regards Kilowatt

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.