Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

First camera

10 Sep 2013 7:02PM
My 13 year old Grandson is thinking of getting his first digital camera.I am looking at Nikon coolpixl810 or Panasonic Lumix ,
Any comments would be appreciated
Regards Kiowatt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
10 Sep 2013 7:24PM
First of all, I'd recommend taking him along to see if they 'fit', he might have a preference for the size/weight.

And

Secondly, make sure you start a Portfolio for him in the Junior Gallery section!! Wink

All joking aside, he would be most welcome!
10 Sep 2013 8:22PM
He is not getting it until Xmas, we are in the process of looking at the moment.But thanks for the reply
Mozzytheboy e2
4 701 3 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2013 8:48PM
If it helps, I asked my six year old Grandson to take a picture of me and his Sister. It's the Lumix TZ-25. I was just about to show hime what to do and he sighed and said .... "GRAMPY!!!!!"

Needless to say he took the picture perfectly. Sure he does not yet know about what it is capable of, but he was whizzing around the screens and features with no difficulty.

I have no knowledge of the Nikon, I'm sure it is equally brilliant. I can only speak for the Lumix. Very good and capable of taking some rather impressive images.

Good luck

Mozzy
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
10 Sep 2013 9:45PM
Buy him a Nikon D3200 and a 50mm f1.8 lens....he'll love them both.
Paul_Anthony 2 384 4 Wales
10 Sep 2013 11:12PM
I had my first camera as a prezzie at 13 (23 years ago), a second hand Cosina CT1G, Cosina 50mm lens & a Vivitar 70-200mm, I developed my Ilford film in my schools rarely used darkroom in the art block, Incredibly basic. I taught myself the basics of photography through trial and error (I still have the Jessops bag my parents got me to keep it all in, but sold the camera equipment a couple of years ago.

I agree with Scottishphototours. An entry level DSLR and a quality prime is the way to go, teach him how to use the camera in Manual first with the Auto Focus turned off, he will learn lots and hopefully enjoy the challenge.
11 Sep 2013 7:26AM
I'm not sure getting a DSLR as a first camera is a good idea. Having detachable lenses is all very well, but from what I've read in the forums there is a problem with dust getting in the camera, or being a little clumsy can end up with ruining camera/lens.

Also, some (not all) teenagers are incredibly fickle - this week photography, next week cycling/skateboarding/whatever...................surely making sure he is really interested in photography would be a good idea before a lot of money was spent on the equipment. I know there is a lot of snobbery about compacts/bridge cameras and DSLRs, but to be honest it's the person behind the lens that makes the image (okay, I'll concede the quality is better with a DSLR, but how many images will actually get printed/sold).

If he is bitten by the 'photography bug' he can start saving for a DSLR, it would probably mean a lot more to him.

Don't shoot me down, it's just a personal view! Smile
NeilS e2
7 936 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2013 7:41AM
Perhaps something with a touch screen capability and quick shutter release would go down better with youngsters nowadays
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
11 Sep 2013 8:45AM

Quote:I had my first camera as a prezzie at 13 (23 years ago), a second hand Cosina CT1G, Cosina 50mm lens & a Vivitar 70-200mm, I developed my Ilford film in my schools rarely used darkroom in the art block, Incredibly basic. I taught myself the basics of photography through trial and error (I still have the Jessops bag my parents got me to keep it all in, but sold the camera equipment a couple of years ago.

I agree with Scottishphototours. An entry level DSLR and a quality prime is the way to go, teach him how to use the camera in Manual first with the Auto Focus turned off, he will learn lots and hopefully enjoy the challenge.

My thinking exactly - and exactly how I started, aged 12...
11 Sep 2013 10:46AM
Thanks for all input, it's given me a lot to work on.
Regards kilowtt
11 Sep 2013 11:12AM
Do come back and let us know which you chose in the end! Smile
11 Sep 2013 1:01PM
Will do.
Xmas is not that far away know.
Thnks again.
Regards Kilowatt

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.