Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

First Impressions can change

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Nov 2012 9:40AM
Now, I admit, I'm usually too quick to make up my mind about someone but I've recently had a change of heart about two people I've not particularly liked before.

The first is Hilary Devey, the multi-millionaire businesswoman and Dragon. Well, I never knew anything about her, only what I saw on TV, but she's this week's Desert Island Disc person and I now like her very much. She's very human and natural as well as being sharp, intelligent and successful.

The other person I've reassessed, to my surprise, is Evan Davies, the economist/journalist/author/presenter. If you forget about his quirky sort of looks you realise that he's an excellent presenter and makes intelligent and very interesting programmes. I now really enjoy reading and watching his work.

How shallow am I? I dismissed them just because they may look a little quirky.
Says a lot about me doesn't it? Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Nov 2012 12:03PM
I like Hilary Devey but, certainly on Dragons' Den (one of my favourite programmes), Evan Davis seems to add little other than stating the obvious! Grin
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
2 Nov 2012 12:23PM
CB likes Hilary Devey...pause... but thinks Evan David seems to add little other than stating the obvious.

I really hate those programs that tell you what you've just seen or heard - it's common now...along with that background harp style plucking sound track that is just as irritating. The Apprentice gets away by adding extra stuff in the narrative so at least it's not so patronising.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Nov 2012 12:34PM
I liked Evan Davis's programme Made in England, and his interesting book on the subject. I now listen to him with different ears.

I wonder if anyone else has changed their minds about people they've previously disliked because of something they've done or something you've found out about them that you didn't know before.

(sorry Pete, but I think you've gone a little off track here, interesting though your comments are Grin).
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Nov 2012 12:34PM
first saw her on Secret Millionaire - amazing on that, got way too emotionally involved, mainly because she met people like her own "junkie" son...

Evan Davis is a great broadcaster - The Bottom Line is an excellent show about business and he's very good on Today - so it does surprise me that he has to dumb down so much for Dragon's Den.... I guess he's just reading the script?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Nov 2012 12:35PM
there should be a red-button option to switch narration off
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Nov 2012 12:40PM
I wonder if anyone else has changed their minds about people they've previously disliked because of something they've done or something you've found out about them that you didn't know before. And if so, who are they and why.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Nov 2012 12:43PM
I know a lot of people who used to like Jimmy Savile! Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
2 Nov 2012 12:43PM
I don't really dislike anyone

come people are knobs, but that's a bit different to disliking them Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
2 Nov 2012 12:46PM
OK, in the spirit of this thread - Alan Carr. I used to find him utterly unwatchable, but do now occasionally dip in to his programme.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
2 Nov 2012 12:46PM
Take That
Hated them in the early days - thought they were talentless. I now find them quite talented
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Nov 2012 12:52PM

Quote:Take That
Hated them in the early days - thought they were talentless. I now find them quite talented

That's better. Grin
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
2 Nov 2012 1:03PM

Quote:I wonder if anyone else has changed their minds about people they've previously disliked because of something they've done or something you've found out about them that you didn't know before. And if so, who are they and why.

I've always disliked the two presenters on Masterchef but then I watched Greg Wallace on "Who Do You Think You Are?" where they trace back some of the guest's ancestry. He blubbed so much at the bad luck one of his ancestors had that it made him appear almost human, and I kind of warmed to him a little bit during that programme... Still wouldn't tune in to Masterchef if you paid me though! Grin
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 1:07PM
Jimmy Carr used to be good to watch, till I saw him live. seemed to be quite un-genuine and playing with the audience. In contrast Dara O'Brian seemed to get better Live.
I think most people generally get better when you get to know more about them, unless you start finding skeletons in their closets like Jimmy.
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 2:37PM

Quote:I wonder if anyone else has changed their minds about people they've previously disliked because of something they've done or something you've found out about them that you didn't know before. And if so, who are they and why.
SlowSong - I think you've brought up a fascinating topic that could potentially do a lot of mileage here on ephotozine.
I think it might be interesting to extend the topic to include those individuals who you used to like but have since come to dislike.

Quote:I don't really dislike anyone Wink
I like your lack of malice and hostility, Ade.
Mostly, I like to think I'm not too judgemental but I have to agree with CB and his comments about Alan Carr - I think it's that sickly, ingratiating and permanent grin and his exaggerated campness annoys me. However, we are talking about first impressions and I have to say I haven't watched him since my first traumatic experience on seeing him on TV. Wink. Who knows, he might well be a really nice guy, when you get to know him...
I reckon to some extent, it's natural for humans to take a liking to someone or to take a dislike to someone on first acquaintance so I don't think anyone is necessarily shallow for such a reaction: I think the crucial thing is how much attention we pay to adjusting our preconceptions as necessary after that initial encounter.
As to Hilary Devey, I had mixed feelings about her at first - I don't like those shoulder pads! I was wary of her because she's a driven hard-headed business person. However, I quite like her - I think her heart's in the right place and albeit she likes putting the old slap on, she looks quite good. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.