Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

First Impressions can change

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 12:04 AM

hehe Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Nov 2012 - 12:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 1:22 AM

I was following the recent thread on "the best pieceof music ever (which was a bit of a tall order really...) and their was a flippant/irreverent post of Middle of the Road singing "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep", and it brought back memories from the seventies, bless 'em. I remembered the blondie hot-panted singer and the kind of song you just had to hate if you had any kind of street cred. As I had time on my hands, I did a bit of googling and you-tubing, and I was amazed to find as I delved more that

a) wee Sally Carr as well as being staggeringly "fit" had a serene natural beauty

b) granted she was singing unashamed cheesy pop, but she had a natural voice, talent and stage presence that would knock spots off many of today's reality wannabees (she would have made a great Scottish folk singer)

c) she's aged well and gracefully and is very human in the face of tragedies such as the loss of her mother and son, and recent brain surgery...

I'm nearly thinking of downloading "Best of Middle of the Road" Wink

Nice idea Chris/Slowsong.

Last Modified By Tooth at 3 Nov 2012 - 1:40 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 1:35 AM

Quote: a flippant/irreverent post of Middle of the Road singing "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep"

Now I wonder who posted that? Tongue

Quote: Best of Middle of the Road

My favourite:

Tooth
3 Nov 2012 - 1:45 AM

spot on CB, it's lovely..the live on stage ones are even nicer..

can I borrow your CD?? Tongue

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315219 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 1:49 AM

How about Dusty Springfield, I got to meet her a couple of times.

I was never I big fan of her music, but there was a lot to like about her, I walk past her head stone nearly every day Sad

As a fan of US pop music, she brought many little-known soul singers to the attention of a wider UK record-buying audience by hosting the first national TV performance of many top-selling Motown artists beginning in 1965.

To boost her credibility as a soul artist, Springfield went to Memphis, Tennessee, to record Dusty in Memphis, an album of pop and soul music, with the Atlantic Records main production team. Released in 1969, it has been ranked among the greatest albums of all time by the US magazine Rolling Stone.

She has been placed among the top 25 female artists of all time by readers of Mojo magazine.

And her boycott of South Africa in 65, caused quite a storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIarfaQY_LM

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 3 Nov 2012 - 1:49 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 2:12 AM

Quote:

can I borrow your CD??

Well, I have Chirpy and Soley on MP3. Smile

Tooth
3 Nov 2012 - 2:42 AM

Oh no, you even abbreviate the names..

I'll swop you for a "Tweedle" Tongue Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64380 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 8:19 AM

I love Chirpy too. A great singalong track to accompany driving - with the windows closed of course. Smile

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102289 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 11:49 AM

I used to like Tony Blair and that's why I voted for him in 1997: But then he made overtures to Murdoch and Bush along with a bunch of other ****** and I soon went off him!
Needless to say - that's the last time I voted Labour!
Then along came the Iraq War and I find myself hating him as much as people like Saville - who of course was another shallow individual.

On the subject of things that leave a bad taste in your mouth, I used to dislike Marmite but now I love it...does that mean that you have to give all things a chance - even if they're slimey? WinkTongue

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 12:08 PM

Brian Sewell's grown on me.

I go off people far more often than I warm to them though.

Last Modified By spaceman at 3 Nov 2012 - 12:10 PM
Carabosse
3 Nov 2012 - 12:20 PM

Quote: I go off people far more often than I warm to them though.

May be true of many, if not most, of us?

My first impression of people is usually neutral.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72224 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quote: How about Dusty Springfield, I got to meet her a couple of times.

I was never I big fan of her music, but there was a lot to like about her, I walk past her head stone nearly every day Sad

As a fan of US pop music, she brought many little-known soul singers to the attention of a wider UK record-buying audience by hosting the first national TV performance of many top-selling Motown artists beginning in 1965.

To boost her credibility as a soul artist, Springfield went to Memphis, Tennessee, to record Dusty in Memphis, an album of pop and soul music, with the Atlantic Records main production team. Released in 1969, it has been ranked among the greatest albums of all time by the US magazine Rolling Stone.

She has been placed among the top 25 female artists of all time by readers of Mojo magazine.

And her boycott of South Africa in 65, caused quite a storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIarfaQY_LM

Hey Paul - didn't think you did name-dropping Wink

When you posted the above, I was reading through thinking I was going to hear you finish off by saying she was a right horror, for whatever reason.
I'm pleased you didn't, as I'm a fan of hers Smile

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102289 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 12:48 PM

Quote: My first impression of people is usually neutral.

Yes, I think that's fairly typical for many of us. However, I find I can take to some people immediately. I suppose it depends on how much you trust humankind in general.
We are all just big silly computers and we all crash now and again...or quite often, actually. Wink

User_Removed
3 Nov 2012 - 12:53 PM

on the rare occasion I take an immediate dislike to some one my gut reaction is usually proved right by some action on their part later so I can't say I have ever changed my mind about a person I have met. Different story with people I haven't met. Then I tend to be neutral just simply because I haven't met them.

One person I did really change my opinion about (and a whole category of people along with him) and that was reading "Decoded" by Jay-Z.

gcarth
3 Nov 2012 - 1:41 PM

Quote: Brian Sewell's grown on me.

Yes: I couldn't stand him years ago when I first saw him on TV. Of course, his involvement with the spy, Anthony Blunt didn't exactly help at the time.
He comes across as (or did come across as) a very snobbish twit. However, the more you see him on TV, you see that he doesn't take himself to seriously and has a sense of fun so he can't be too bad.
My belief is that unless someone harms others they should be allowed free rein to their eccentricities, talents, ambitions or aspirations - whatever they are.

As I said before, I think it's human nature not to take to someone sometimes, but I suppose what matters is keeping an open mind - a mind that is accessible for any necessary future 'updates'.
What often saddens me is that some people seem to actively enjoy disliking or hating people instead of looking for their good points. Trolls in on-line newspaper columns come to mind - I think they are very sad individuals - inadequates.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.