Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

First love

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
c_evans99
c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 9:11 PM

What camera / kit did you yearn to own when you first started thinking of photography as a serious hobby (Bit of a show your age thread here), and did you ever get that first dream kit?

When I first started looking for an SLR (I was about 17) I knew it had to be a Pentax, and picking up 'knowledge' from magazines I knew it had tpo be the MX. Lens kit then was a 50mm standard, a 28mm f2.8 wideangle and 80-200mm zoom - I accepted that Pentax glass was out of my league so I'd have settled for Tamron lenses like my brother had for his OM10.

I ended up with a Pentax MG (the only model I could afford), complete with 50mm f2 - within a year or so I picked up a Takumar 135mm f2.5 lens and a second hand Pentax 35mm f3.5. Although I have a couple of MX's now, and the even better Pentax 28mm f3.5 I still don't have the 80-200mm lens (well I have something close, but no mount yet... though the Pentax M 80-200 sells for only 25 or so on eBay so who knows!

Ceri Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2006 - 9:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fauxtography
25 Jul 2006 - 9:15 PM

I yearned for any of the olympus OM range, but then the eos range emerged and I was torn, part of me loved the mechanical nature of the Olympus, yet part was drawn to the NEW...

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 9:25 PM

Yearning:A Rollei T

Got 1: Coronet 120 'TLR' box camera - first camera of my very own.

Got 2: Minolta Autocord, when a bit older!

Was quite pleased with both though.

The lads (and lassies!) at the camera club were quite understanding and helpful when I turned up at young age with the Coronet. Showed me how to develop my first film too!

jas

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 9:33 PM

Both my father and grandfather were jobbing photographers, Dad was press, Grandad was high Street and they had Blads...but I wanted what my Dad's best friend and chief Tog had - an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic. I was 16 before I could finally afford to buy a new fangled MX.

Which reminds me. I recall, I'm sure, lusting after a white telephoto lens in the mid 80's and I'm pretty sure it was a ....Pentax.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 9:37 PM

Quote: What camera / kit did you yearn to own.................... and did you ever get that first dream kit?

Hasselblad and not....................

.......yet! Grin

scottishphototours

I started with a Praktica MTL3, migrated to a Chinon CE-5 then a Nikon F-301. I yearned for a Nikon F3 with MD-12 motordrive and eventually had 2 of these (took me a few years though !).

Those F3's I yearned for lasted 3 months. Both, and all my lenses, were stolen from the car after I left my bag on the bag seat for 10 minutes. A mistake that cost me thousands...

I'd love a Nikon F6 right now. I know a lifelong Nikon user who says it's the best camera they've ever made - but I'm not yearning - yet...

c_evans99
c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 9:41 PM

Funnily enough I've been thinking of getting a Spotmatic and you can pick up the later models now for about 25 or less...

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 9:45 PM

I did finally get a full LX kit last year....LOL

Guy had it in the local paper for 50...every last item, all boxed and the best part is that THE best in-camera light meter ever made still works.

fauxtography
25 Jul 2006 - 9:49 PM

50? damn!

must admit what appealed to me about the olympus was the shutter speed set on the lens mount area. I have yet to own any olympus kit, i had to settle for my praktica. I have an EOS now though...

Freefall
Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
25 Jul 2006 - 9:56 PM

Seriously? A Minolta Dimage A1. Then I "regressed" to a Praktica MTL3 with 28mm, 50mm, 70-200, 135mm, and 300mm. Finally migrated to DSLR and haven't looked back....

trahern
trahern  10863 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2006 - 10:06 PM

The first camra I ever wanted was an Olympus OM1 but I couldn't afford that as a student so I bought the OM10 instead. The next camera I bought was a Canon AE1 and I have been a Canon man ever since. However the OM10 was a cracking camera at the time.

Muy ultimate buy has always been a 'blad and now it would be a digital 'blad. Dream on.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 10:06 PM

I remember wanting an OM1, and my first camera was an Agfa I won in a raffle as a child. My first real camera, a Minolta SRT100

NevP
NevP  8853 forum posts Canada13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2006 - 10:30 PM

Practica L2 - not even a meter! Great.

nikon
nikon e2 Member 1098 forum postsnikon vcard England
25 Jul 2006 - 11:04 PM

Started with a folding a 9 X 7 folding Zeis Ikon with 75 mm tessar lens, quickly followed by a 6x6 Rollie TLR. Joined the 35mm fraternity with zorki 4. Progressed to X700 Minolta's followed by two Nikormat's and a selection of lenses.Moved to cannon 600 and then got the bug for medium format and obtained a 6x6 Bronica, and a 6x4.5. Joined in the digital frenzy with a E10 Olympus, followed that with a cannon 10D to match the canon lenses I already had. Picked up a few nick nats along the may, 35mm Minox G.T., Canon ixus compact,a pentax digital compact, and an Olympus digital compact, and a Nikon 5700.
Its not until you start to list them that you realise just how much has been spent over a few years. Believe it or not I still have them all bar the Nikon 5700 which was stolen in Bangkok.

steveb
steveb  9327 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jul 2006 - 5:46 AM

The first 'proper' camera I used was an Ensign Selfix 12-20, later yearned for a Pentax SLR so I could use interchangeable lenses. Cost was prohibitive, so I ended up with a Praktika Super TL2, with 35mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses. I later added an MTL3 body.

I soon outgrew the Praktica's, yearned for the OM1, bought it, then another, then an OM2. Allways prefered the OM1's. At first used with 2 lenses, a Vivitar S1 35-85mm varifocal and S1 70-210mm zoom, but later changed to all Zuiko primes. Yearned for a MF or LF kit, but had no space for a 5x4 enlarger, the spare cash I had got spent on other things, so ended up with a new Yashicamat 124G. Only 2 years ago did I finally start to build the LF kit I wanted many years ago, a Toyo field camera with 65mm, 90mm, 135mm, 150mm, 210mm and 360mm lenses, thanks to eBay and falling prices.

Steve

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.