Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

First SLR?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
DonnaMH
DonnaMH  6
30 Dec 2012 - 3:06 PM

Hi,

I'm saving up to buy a DSLR but have never owned one before. What would people recommend is best for a beginner on a budget?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Dec 2012 - 3:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 113106 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 3:19 PM

A difficult question to answer really. There's a lot of people on the site with brand loyalty and as such they will recommend what they use.

There's nothing wrong with that as there's no such thing as a bad DSLR really.

I would suggest that you work out your budget and if you can find a camera shop locally go down and pick a few of them up and get the feel of them.

What feels good in the hands of some people may not in others and if you simply buy one as somebody says this brand or model is great you could end up with a camera that doesn't feel comfortable in your hands

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 30 Dec 2012 - 3:22 PM
indemnity
indemnity  5328 forum posts
30 Dec 2012 - 3:22 PM

Firstly one that feels comfortable in your hands, not too big and not too small, good balance right weight and easy to hold and move.

Ken beat me to post.

Last Modified By indemnity at 30 Dec 2012 - 3:23 PM
213hardy
213hardy e2 Member 6544 forum posts213hardy vcard England
30 Dec 2012 - 3:24 PM

What they said ^^^^^SmileSmileSmile

Paul_Anthony
30 Dec 2012 - 4:04 PM

The advise above is spot on, don't worry about brand, just go for what you like the feel of.

I would add that although you will get great results from a DSLR Kit (camera body & standard lens combo), if you can push you budget just a little further it is well worth buying a DSLR Body only and getting yourself a slightly higher spec lens than comes in the kit. It doesn't have to be a 'Pro Spec' lens but investing in a decent bit of glass will stand you in good stead for the future.

When you are ready to take the plunge, post again with your budget and requirements and I am sure you will get plenty of Body / Lens combo advice from some very experienced and knowledgeable members.

Paul

User_Removed
30 Dec 2012 - 4:36 PM

Why go 'SLR'?

I know several 'committed' SLR owners/users who haven't touched theirs in months because of their finding - and now using exclusively - some of the outstanding Micro 4/3rds equipment out there.

Just a thought... Wink

User_Removed
30 Dec 2012 - 5:02 PM

Yep.

My standard response to this type of question used to be "Toss a coin between the entry level offerings from Nikon and Canon - and then stick with your choice of marque."

But, nowadays, I am inclined to agree with Mike (above) and suggest that the enquirer re-examines the reasons why he/she thinks an SLR is the next step to take. For many advancing hobbyists, a CSC might provide a better solution. (In which case I would probably say "Toss a coin between Olympus and Panasonic - and then stick with your choice of marque.")

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 5:11 PM

All depends on how tight your budget is.

It will most certainly be worth giving micro four thirds a look, there`s something for all at all budgets and especially if you don`t need the most up to date body.

Here`s just two.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G3-16-1MP-Compact-System/dp/B004ZKHAWM/ref...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-E-PL3-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0058GI38W/ref=sr...

CP140
CP140  2 Canada
30 Dec 2012 - 7:35 PM

In addition to the usual Nikon/Canon etc., have a look at the Pentax k-30. Similar capabilities/price but weather resistant and can use the entire line of legacy K-mount lenses (albeit some restrictions with the older manual lenses). If you want to go a little smaller, have a look at the Pentax K-01.

There are also some very nice bridge cameras (e.g. Panasonic FZ200) which you may want to consider. Yes, you lose the ability to change lenses, but it has a pretty decent zoom range and enough mode options (aperture priority, manual control etc) to let you experiment.

judderman62
30 Dec 2012 - 11:49 PM

Pentax K30 is a very good shout and is at a bargain price.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 - 7:39 AM

If your budget is low I disagree with most of the advice so far - because 4/3 is usually more expensive than an entry level DSLR.
Nikon in particular seem to have come up with the wheeze of continuing last years model at a lot less than last years price to outflank 4/3 competition.
A D3100 with kit lens is around 330, a D5100 around 420 and a Pentax K-30 around 450.
Decent 4/3 with interchangeable lenses is mainly more than twice this price level.
I do not disagree 4/3 with interchangeable lenses has a better specification than these entry-level DSLR's, but if 4/3 is above your budget it is not an option.

Steppenwolf
31 Dec 2012 - 8:54 AM

Quote: Nikon in particular seem to have come up with the wheeze of continuing last years model at a lot less than last years price to outflank 4/3 competition.
A D3100 with kit lens is around 330, a D5100 around 420 and a Pentax K-30 around 450.

Nikon seem to be knocking down the price of the entry level camera bodies to get more people into the system, which seems sensible as most of their profits are from selling lenses and accessories I believe. I'd still go for a CSC (M4/3 being the best bet at the moment) unless there's some very good reason to get a DSLR (like needing tracking focus or a love of OVFs). It would be a pity to build up a big Nikon system and then decide it's too bulky to carry around.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 9:38 AM

The Nikon D3100 maybe an old model but despite that in all comparison tests it comes out extremely well beating several much higher priced DSLRs. I would buy it with the 18-105mm lens rather than the 18-55 version as it gives greater range of focal lengths and can still be purchased at an amazing price if you shop round. a good starting point I think..

User_Removed
31 Dec 2012 - 10:15 AM

Quote: If your budget is low I disagree with most of the advice so far - because 4/3 is usually more expensive than an entry level DSLR.
Nikon in particular seem to have come up with the wheeze of continuing last years model at a lot less than last years price to outflank 4/3 competition.
Decent 4/3 with interchangeable lenses is mainly more than twice this price level.
I do not disagree 4/3 with interchangeable lenses has a better specification than these entry-level DSLR's, but if 4/3 is above your budget it is not an option.

What you ignore, Len, is that exactly the same applies to CSCs.

For example, the superb Olympus E-PL3 with a 14-42mm lens is currently being sold by Amazon.co.uk at 279.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 10:19 AM

A few years ago I too would have said go with Canon or Nikon - that would only hold true now if you were deciding long term that you were going to get a lot more serious and invest heavily in the future in pro spec lenses/accessories.

I've used both systems but if I were going for an inexpensive capable camera I would also agree with many who have posted recommending the Pentax K-30. More bang for buck than anything in its price range, it has a decent weather sealing [unprecedented at this price point] and the useful ergonomics of twin-dial control, which again you only tend to get at higher price points with other marques.

Newer m4/3 models are good cameras too - although personally I would steer away from any that use the older 12mp sensor which is fairly noisy at relatively modest ISOs. The 16mp one used in all newer models gives more resolution and better low-light performance. The outgoing models look like great value - they're OK if you've always got good light to deal with.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.