Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

First stab at a website

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    scartlane
    scartlane  368 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2011 - 12:54 PM

Hey everyone.
    Over the past few weeks ive been having a go at learning HTML, creating a website for me to host my pictures on.
    Being a software enigneer i would have thought html wuld be easy, but it seems that its my imagination letting me down!

the website is

www.scartlane.co.uk

If people wouldnt mind having a scan and letting me know any comments about it, the site or the pictures, and any advice about photography of web design would be great too!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Feb 2011 - 12:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

zed
    zed  10551 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2011 - 1:33 PM

Some spelling mistakes:

galerys - galleries
    vist - visit

To be honest i would re-write the whole thing on the homepage, is doesn't read too good.

zed
    23 Feb 2011 - 1:34 PM

Hi, just to add:

I don't think you need a page dedicated to a list of your equipment, most people either don't know what your on about or don't care...

zed
    23 Feb 2011 - 1:36 PM

On the about me page:

unfortunaly?
    clich├ęd?

DrT01
    DrT01  870 forum posts Wales
    23 Feb 2011 - 4:04 PM

I only looked at your site because I'm thinking of doing the same. I don't wish to appear derogatory, but you really must check your spelling and grammar-it's atrocious and does not appear professional at all. I find this sort of schoolboy error off-putting and it would make me not bother to look at this site again. Sorry!

scartlane
    scartlane  368 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2011 - 4:29 PM

Thanks for all your comments. I feel I must defend myself as it is just a draft. But I will take on your comments.
    Any more about the look or the site or the pictures on there?

JamesGarfield
    23 Feb 2011 - 4:33 PM

As above I would take off your list of equipment, to most people it means nothing and could invite unwanted attention if you know what I mean.

Last Modified By JamesGarfield at 23 Feb 2011 - 4:42 PM
    joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2011 - 4:42 PM

You call yourself a 'freelance photographer' so I'm trying to look at your site as if I was looking for someone to take some pictures for me.

Quite honestly, I don't see a single compelling reason why I should give you a commission. The thing is, you have a selection of rather dull, if competently taken, images which tell me very little about what you can do for me. What are you best at? What really floats your boat? Is it cars, wildlife, flowers, landscapes? I just have no idea. If you're going to be a freelancer you need to know what your USP is and you need to push that USP at the expense of everything else. All this site is telling me is that you are a jack-of-all-trades. And there are plenty of those.

Sorry to be harsh but it's a cut-throat market out there at the moment (and set to get worse as unemployment goes on rising) and you need to stand out from the crowd to get anywhere. Nothing I see on this site gives the impression of a truly outstanding photographer.

Last Modified By joolsb at 23 Feb 2011 - 4:45 PM
    bfgstew
    bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2011 - 5:02 PM

Joolsb is right unfortunately.

Also noticed some images are cropped versions including the watermark, not a good sign, sorry.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.