Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

First wedding.... New lens?

Peter23 6 23 2
9 Aug 2012 10:03PM
Evening folks!

I have my first wedding coming up in october and currently I use A Nikon d700 with 24-70 2.8 nikon lens. I also have the Sb700. I am considering purchasing the new Sb910 and possibly the 50mm 1.4. Anyone reccomend any secondary wedding lenses that are either under 500 along side the new flash or think I should scrap the new flash and reccomend me one for under 800!

So nervous but also very excited. This is where my life in photography gets serious!

Thanks,

Pete

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

skidzy 5 8 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 10:16PM
For what its worth, i covered my first wedding last year and was extremely nervous.
I covered from midday to midnight and learnt a lot in the process.

I shot in raw as always and used the 24-70 F2.8 too on a D90.............. wow what an amazing lens.The only other lens i used on the day was my 50mm F1.8 the 1.4 would have been real handy to.

If i had to stick my neck out, the 70-200 vr would be just perfect but thats way out of the price range - but have you considered a second hand one for around 1000 ish.Alternatively, the Sigma 70-200OS again for around a 1000.

Your budget in my opinion is a bit tight for quality glass but nevertheless, im sure others have there own ideas.

Hope this helps.

Oh.............. i think your flash is absolutely fine.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 11:25PM
I use canon cameras and lenses for weddings.
I use the 24-105mm f4 but will be getting the 24-70mm f2.8 shortly, i also use the canon 70-200mm f2.8 is usm lens and the 50mm f1.4 lens .
I find i use the 70-200mm f2.8 a lot in weddings also for tight spaces the 24-105mm but for tight spaces and low light the 50mm f1.4 comes in very handy.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2012 7:08AM
Forget cameras. Learn about how to shoot a wedding first.
Good luck. Smile

(OK. You can delete this now?)
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
10 Aug 2012 7:36AM
I shot my first wedding recently (As fill in photographer taking behind the scenes shots at the request of the brides parents)...if you want to make things simple.......An 18-200 lens has the range for most shots.........also..........try not to use Flash at all.....just up the ISO and go with the ambient light.......(The pro taught and deminstrated this).......all he had were two small battery powered spot lights for the cake cutting in the darkish Disco Bar after the church ceremony.

The advice on making notes of essential things to shoot at a wedding is essential........above all....enjoy yourself and b as relaxed as possible...dont forget all the little nitty-gritty shotsof unaware guests and the antics of kids; these are loved by all families and friends.

Don't forget that the noisiest Hugh ISO shots can make fantastic mono conversions...there are a couple of examples in my portfolio:

The pro...made me feel very welcome and took time out to demonstrate his NO FLASH techniques:

Hobbo
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
10 Aug 2012 7:38AM
I've done a few weddings now and find that my Sigma 70-200 F2.8 gets the most use on my 5D II

I picked it up used for 430 inc a 2x (I don't use the 2x for weddings). It's a very well looked after lens and seems to have been purchased and kept in the cupboard by the previous owner.

I think with what you have the 70-200 2.8 would be a very good next lens to get and you will wonder how you mangaed without it.

Also on the flashes have a look at Nissin, I have been using the Di866II off camera and it's great plus it's half the price of a Canon or Nikon unit.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Ignore the nay sayers you will get throughout this thread, your the one who knows your abilities not anyone else who think they do.

Stu
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2012 7:54AM

Quote:anyone else who think they do.

Couldn't agree more.
Just had a quick look at 'Some' wedding images on here. I bet the bride and groom were well pleased with some of those????? Smile

That's me lot on this one. Smile
User_Removed 4 299 4 France
10 Aug 2012 7:57AM
Stick with what you know and have used for some time for the main shots...If you take new kit and have not spent a lot of pressured time using it beforehand try to use it when you have the most important stuff under your belt then you wont embarras anyone...fiddling with unfamiliar kit is a no no if you want to pick up more work from the day.....people are very judgemental and you need to be cool and in control....enjoy
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
10 Aug 2012 8:00AM

Quote:I bet the bride and groom were well pleased with some of those?????

I have no idea how others have gone down with the couple but I know mine have gone down very well with each Bride and Groom along with their familes and friends. As they have taken the time to either drop a message or send a handwritten letter saying how over the Moon they are with the shots along with how we were on the day and that we made their day that extra bit special.

That for me makes it all worth it.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2012 8:25AM
you will find that as your experience grows your style will develop and you will gravitate more and more to a particular lens; in the meantime the 24-70 is a brilliant lens for weddings and a 50mm f/1.4 a good back up and excellent lens in it's own right..... I have and use both.

Don't forget Sodd's law: what can go wrong inevitably will go wrong especially at a wedding so don't forget to buy, beg steal or borrow a back up body.

G'luck, Peter. Grin
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
10 Aug 2012 8:52AM
I shot my first wedding recently (on a D300). I bought the 17-55 (similar range to the 24-70 on the crop sensor) and also hired the 70-200. I would say I used the shorter lens for about 70% of the shots, but the longer one helped me to get some that I wouldn't have been able to shoot otherwise. I would also say that the flash is a must (although the 700 is probably up to the job); if the weather is rubbish you can use it to put in a little fill - just make sure you know how to use it so that it doesn't overwhelm the ambient.
timbo 12 592 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2012 8:56AM
What Peter Jones said!
10 Aug 2012 8:59AM
The "easy" bit is a D700 and 24-70 can produce good 16x12 prints of 80% of what most brides expect to see.
In some ways "good people control ability" can be more important than photographic skill at some wddings.
As you are FX, 70mm is a bit short for coming down the aisle shots - but not all weddings are church weddings.
Being a little controversial I would rule out a 50mm f1.4 at this stage. I appreciate you can shoot in lower light with f1.4 dof - in a studio set up. Most brides expect more than f1.4 depth of field for the dance shots. f1.4 is not a priority if you mainly need to shoot at f5.6 - f8 for dof.
If there is a long aisle how about renting a 70-200?
There is not a lot a second hand SB 800 cannot do as regards flash output and fill flash that an SB910 can do.
Regular wedding photography and keeping kit in mint condition tend not to be synonymous, making some second hand purchases a reasonable option.
Looking to the future be aware a D800 can blow D700 fine detail in big prints out of the water - if your bride can afford big A2 prints. Not many can.
Paul_Anthony 2 385 4 Wales
10 Aug 2012 9:01AM
Agree with peter here.

It all depends on your own style. Some like to stand back and some like to get up close and personal.

Personally I like to be in the action and rarely take my f2.8 short Zoom off the front of the camera. I have a second body with a Longer Zoom over my shoulder and use it as and when required, mostly for the speeches. I don't use flash too often, so just have an SB700 and an SB600 that I use for a little fill in flash from time to time.

Getting a second body is a must though, doesn't need to be a pro body, just a back up initially, you will increase the quality of your kit over time as you add to it and upgrade bodies and lenses.

Essentials are:

Two Bodies - Two Short Zooms - One Longer Zoom - Two Flash Guns - Spare Batteries - Plenty of Memory Cards - A Good Quality Bag

You will develop your own style over time. In the mean time, do plenty of research, look at other wedding photographers photographs, read up on and practice technique, get to know your camera bodies (you'll need to change the settings without moving them away from your eye) and most importantly try to enjoy it.

Regards

Paul
cozzmic 2 19
10 Aug 2012 9:09AM
Did a wedding in July and the weather was very dull and overcast so used the flash outside as a fill in and is a defo must as it brought out the colours on the bouquet and the kilt. I use a 70-200 VR1 and is the best lens I have ever used and use it for candid pic's where people don't notice you as you are quite far away therefore they are relaxed. Use a 18-105 too for close in stuff with a 50mm 1.8 which is a new addition but trying to get used to me moving back and forth and not a zoom len barrel. LOL. Second body is a must incase something goes wrong and use a D5000 as back up to my D300.
Ps use a Sb 400 which certainly does as it says on the tin, have taken some crackers with it,

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.