Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

fish eye lens.... 8mm 10.5mm etc

BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2011 12:29AM
if they all have a 180 degree of view, then what is the point in different lengths? or am i missing something?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Apr 2011 12:33AM
I think some give you a round image, others fill the frame...

but I may be wrong

I looked at a peleng lens once, they were really cheap, I looked again, they're no longer cheap - they were 8mm. Wish I'd got it now, just something novel to vary your output.
16 Apr 2011 12:36AM
thats why i was asking really.... as i am thinking of getting one... it seems the Sigma is only a few quid less than the nikon version, so will get the nikon one i think,, just making sure i am not missing something obvious i guess. thanks.
loweskid 13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2011 12:50AM
The Nikon 10.5 is for the DX format only - no good on a full frame.
The Sigma 8mm is okay (I think) on either but, as ade says, gives a circular image.
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
16 Apr 2011 8:51AM
The Samyang 8mm is worth a look - mine will be on my camera all day today Smile
gary.d 12 134 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2011 9:03AM
The Nikon 10.5mm can be used on FX cameras if you are prepared to shave off the built-in lens hood. Fisheyes are great for 360 work or for 180 panos when used with stitching software but get a good one as they are prone to chromatic abberations.
16 Apr 2011 4:29PM

Quote:The Nikon 10.5 is for the DX format only - no good on a full frame.
The Sigma 8mm is okay (I think) on either but, as ade says, gives a circular image.

Is there a Nikon lens that is good for both then? without mods.... as i will be getting two D700 (or whatever comes out by then) in the not too distant future.
ventile 7 152 Wales
17 Apr 2011 10:16AM
Have a look at the Tokina...
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Apr 2011 7:48PM
I use a Sigma 8mm on my D3s and it gives excellent results. Generally, when Sigma lenses are costlier than their Nikkor equivalents (e.g. some of their fast prime lenses), it is because they are better quality.

I did use the 8mm with my D300 as well but, with DX format, you don't get the full circle - the top and bottom are cut off. But unless you particularly want the full circle, that is not a problem.
17 Apr 2011 7:54PM
might well have a look at the sigma 8mm then.... will be keeping my d300s for a while, but as and when i move up to full frame, i dont want to have to get rid and get another. And the full circle wouldnt matter for now.

Thanks.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
18 Apr 2011 9:35AM
That's probably a good decision Rick.

Unless you actually want a full circle, it's of limited attraction. Normally, I end up cropping the image to provide a rectangle anyway.

Here's one of my house that I took with the 8mm and the D300 and then cropped to give an oval, which happened to suit my purpose for this particular photo. Treating it this way gives the effect of ultra-wide-angle and fairly limited distortion in the centre part of the image. Good when you want a wide perspective and enormous depth of field.

briefing.jpg

If you look at the extremities of the long axis, you'll see the fairly minor degree of softness that, on a full circle, you would get around the entire edge

NikLG 9 1.7k England
18 Apr 2011 10:56AM
A mate of mine has a Samyang fish-eye. It seems to be pretty good. Manual focus, iirc, nad feels
pretty solid.
coliwolii 5 69 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2011 6:28PM
Just a suggestion.

I love the look of a good "fish-eye" photo, but could never really justify the expense of buying a lens that probably woudn't be used that often.
For many years I left it at that and then stumbled across the lensbaby fish-eye adapter.

This is a great little occasional use lens/adapter. It fits into most of the current lensbaby range via there "optic swap" system.
The outer circle of this optic is a little soft, but surley they all are to a degree and its part of the charm, isn't it?
I use this on a full frame camera at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I used it on a previous crop camera, I think it just knocked the bottom and top off of the circle, much like Eric suggests above.

Iam not suggesting for a moment that these are better than the lenses already mentioned above, but it should work out a bit cheaper, especially if you already have a lensbaby.

I'm "on shift" at work at the moment which means 3 weeks non stop, but if I get a chance I will try and post a pic using the adapter.
coliwolii 5 69 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2011 6:39PM
Tony Sweet's Lensbaby fisheye optic examples - take a look! SWEET
18 Apr 2011 7:10PM

Quote:Tony Sweet's Lensbaby fisheye optic examples - take a look! SWEET

thank you for taking the time to upload some examples, and some good shots in there, but i would rather spend the money on a 'proper' fish eye that gives me the 180 deg view i am after.

I will be covering a few events this year that will need this type of lens in particular, and dont want to get results that i cant sell/am not happy with.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.