Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Fish eye lens

crookymonsta e2
6 704 10 England
23 Jan 2013 2:50PM
I would love to have a play with a fish eye lens but can't justify the cost of the NIkon one. Cana anyone suggest a cheap add on lens and advise which would be the best lens to use it on. I have Nikon 18-55, Tamron 18-270 and Nikon 10-24mm.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 3:38PM
The add ons IMHO are useless, but try the Samyang prime lens, it is an excellent choice for the money. Manual focusing, which is no problem, considering the depth of field. Just set it at hyperfocal distance and everything is in focus. Make sure you look at one with the 5 contact pins to give you auto exposure with Nikon.
NeilS e2
7 936 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 3:03PM
You can get very cheap ones which screw onto filter threads, and whilst the IQ isn't the best, it will nevert he less give you some indication as to wether you want to spend some additional monies on one

I did this many years ago, and then bought the Samyang 8mm when it first came out, and am pleased with it, I believe that they have an improved version out now as well

As you have a 10mm already, its the fisheye bit that you need to be sure about

Fish eyes are fun to use, but I wouldn't spend a significant amount on one at the outset
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2013 7:00PM
another vote for the 8mm Samyang. But it is around 250. There is one specific to Nikon Bodies. The identical lens is also sold a "Walimex" I think (but somehow that name doesnt inspire confidence!!)Tongue
kaybee 10 4.0k 24 Scotland
27 Jan 2013 10:10AM
The Wallimex lens is made by Samyang and is a super lens.
I have one for my Lumix 4/3rds.
It is well constructed and has a metal backplate rather than plastic so is more robust.
The distortion is not nearly as much as I expected and the chromatic aboration towards the edges is ridiculously low.

This
and this were taken keeping the back of the camera verticle so you can see how little distortion you can get.
Angle it down slightly (or up of course) and you can get the expected curves on the horizon.
Of course, in confined spaces you can get some wonderful effects - as opposed to the 'standard' shot
And of course there is always the fun portrait aspect

If you do go for a fish eye, I would spend the money and buy a real one rather than a srew on filter type because the quality is light years ahead and you will use it far more often than you think.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
27 Jan 2013 10:24AM
Many snappers buy a fisheye, play with it for a while and then sell it when they get bored. The second-hand market is well supplied so it might be an idea to buy used and then you'll be able to get your money back, or even a profit.

A proper fish-eye will give much better results than an adapter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.