Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Fish eye lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6689 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2013 - 2:50 PM

I would love to have a play with a fish eye lens but can't justify the cost of the NIkon one. Cana anyone suggest a cheap add on lens and advise which would be the best lens to use it on. I have Nikon 18-55, Tamron 18-270 and Nikon 10-24mm.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Jan 2013 - 2:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
    23 Jan 2013 - 3:38 PM

The add ons IMHO are useless, but try the Samyang prime lens, it is an excellent choice for the money. Manual focusing, which is no problem, considering the depth of field. Just set it at hyperfocal distance and everything is in focus. Make sure you look at one with the 5 contact pins to give you auto exposure with Nikon.

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 23 Jan 2013 - 3:39 PM
    NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7842 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    26 Jan 2013 - 3:03 PM

You can get very cheap ones which screw onto filter threads, and whilst the IQ isn't the best, it will nevert he less give you some indication as to wether you want to spend some additional monies on one

I did this many years ago, and then bought the Samyang 8mm when it first came out, and am pleased with it, I believe that they have an improved version out now as well

As you have a 10mm already, its the fisheye bit that you need to be sure about

Fish eyes are fun to use, but I wouldn't spend a significant amount on one at the outset

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jan 2013 - 7:00 PM

another vote for the 8mm Samyang. But it is around 250. There is one specific to Nikon Bodies. The identical lens is also sold a "Walimex" I think (but somehow that name doesnt inspire confidence!!)Tongue

Last Modified By Scutter at 26 Jan 2013 - 7:02 PM
    kaybee
    kaybee  103801 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2013 - 10:10 AM

The Wallimex lens is made by Samyang and is a super lens.
    I have one for my Lumix 4/3rds.
    It is well constructed and has a metal backplate rather than plastic so is more robust.
    The distortion is not nearly as much as I expected and the chromatic aboration towards the edges is ridiculously low.

This
    and this were taken keeping the back of the camera verticle so you can see how little distortion you can get.
    Angle it down slightly (or up of course) and you can get the expected curves on the horizon.
    Of course, in confined spaces you can get some wonderful effects - as opposed to the 'standard' shot
    And of course there is always the fun portrait aspect

If you do go for a fish eye, I would spend the money and buy a real one rather than a srew on filter type because the quality is light years ahead and you will use it far more often than you think.

thewilliam
    27 Jan 2013 - 10:24 AM

Many snappers buy a fisheye, play with it for a while and then sell it when they get bored. The second-hand market is well supplied so it might be an idea to buy used and then you'll be able to get your money back, or even a profit.

A proper fish-eye will give much better results than an adapter.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.