Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flash advice needed

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    PhotoMorph
    16 Mar 2011 - 7:47 AM

I'm really struggling to choose a flash, i have a Canon Eos 450D, and i want to expand into off camera flash and start a small studio set up in the corner of our house for general portraits, i also love macro work and would love a ring flash, in all honesty money is a real issue as i have little but could save if needed, i sold a metz flash gun because it would not trigger wirelessly, (metz confirmed there are no triggers with a large enough voltage to fire them), i have researched loads of flashguns for days, its giving me a headache! obviously my best choice would be a Canon EX speedlight (430ex being about the only one i could realistically afford) then a set of wireless triggers for about 30 of ebay, i could probably get these for a combined total of 210, BUT for 130 i could purchase 1xyongnuo yn-468 which has off flash capability and is ETTL a set of wireless triggers and a meike ring flash system, Any advice would be great, has anyone bought any of these items, i know the ex series of flashes by canon are great, i'm more interested in peoples assessment of the other items, thanks for your time.

Mark

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Mar 2011 - 7:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2011 - 10:41 AM

Personally you would be better off looking for some cheap studio strobes, Or maybe a continuous lighting option ( even cheaper ) .....!!!

Speedlights are all well and good, But they are expensive, Triggering them remotely and reliably is an issue, Unless you have expensive triggers designed for the job.

If its portraits & macro done at or in home, And you have a power supply to hand, I'd go for the studio lights everytime, Only choosing speedlights when a mains supply is out of the question or impossible to obtain.

The trouble with starting down the road of cheapo triggers/speedlights and bits & bobs to successfully fire/use speedlights, Is that you can end up spending a good deal of money, That could be better spent on some proper gear......Wink

Just my take mind.....!!!

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Mar 2011 - 10:41 AM
    PhotoMorph
    16 Mar 2011 - 10:54 AM

Could you point me in the right direction for the studio strobes and/or the continuos lighting. Thanks

Grampy
    Grampy  4507 forum posts England71 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'd recomend studio flash have a look at Elemental genisis 250 kit, that's what I've got and it's great and very cheap, the problem with continuous is the longer exposure time meaning any sort of action is out of the question.
    Phill

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53651 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Mar 2011 - 3:06 PM

Hi Mark,

In the Ring flash or real flash group, choose real flash 1st as you can bouce it down off the ceiling for macro work.
    In the studio or flashgun choice, then maybe studio is ideal even if its not portable is studio is your prime aim. though as a genralist i'd go the other way first.

Elemental keep getting good reviews, but i've tried the real cheap china ebay ones though and they have lasted over 2 years now (occasional use) and i still think they are ok for what they are, one image here.

miked70
    miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2011 - 5:06 AM

i have and had a lot of stuido lights and in the end most of what i do i still land up with one light,
    starting again and knowing what i do i would go for one light around 300W/s and get a few light mods
    this will cover almost everything you need to do for std. portrait type work.
    i now use the Jinbei RD600 kit bit expensive but the best of both worlds 600w/s and battery powered
    can shoot the whole day on on charge (over a 1000 at 1/4 power),cant do that on my SB800.
    have a beauty dish barn doors ,softbox and 1.4m para umbrella.
    but maybe the best advice is get a good quality RF kit this can work on any flash you buy,i never use ttl as i like to setup
    lights the way i want,ttl is like auto works well but does not allways give what you want.
    so once you are used to shooting in manual you know what the end result will be.

duratorque
    duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Mar 2011 - 4:41 PM

Studio lights are better if you have a power source near by. I normally shoot on location where there is no power. I use a combination of Canon 540EZ, Nikon SB26 & Nikon SB28. All bought second hand (costing 180 total). The radio trigger I use is RF602 for 30 on ebay. Very reliable and no misfire. You still need to buy brackets, stands, softbox etc. With this set up, there is no eTTL. All my portraits are shot with this portable setup.

They are not very powerful and know the limitations and you will do well. If I have the money, I would go for Elichrom Ranger Quadra.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.