Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Flash and the D800

swiftflo 2 6 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 11:42AM
Can you please help me. I have a Yongnou 565EX flash and it worked perfectly okay on My Nikon D700 camera.

I have now bought a Nikon D800 and am having problems with the flash. If I set the flash up as slave and use the commander on my camera it works perfectly okay.
If I attach the flash to my camera and press the shutter button halfway the flash goes off and there is a series of flashes for about a second.

Please how do I stop this happening.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.9k
21 Mar 2013 12:05PM
Each generation of Nikon cameras seems to have its own flash protocol and we've had to replace many otherwise good flashguns over the years because they wouldn't work with our newly acquired camera bodies.

Your problem is compounded because independant makers don't usually have access to full Nikon data and need to do some reverse-engineering.

With Metz flashguns, it's sometimes possible to just buy a new dedidated foot. Does your unit have this facility?
21 Mar 2013 12:09PM
Looking at the foot on the flash I cannot see that a replacement can be fitted.
21 Mar 2013 12:57PM
Yongnuo say their 565EX flash will not work with the d800/d800e.

I got the above from another photography site, so changing a foot will not help.

If you can live with working in full manual thats the only option with this speedlight on the d800.
21 Mar 2013 1:24PM
Thanks for your reply.

I can certainly work with full manual, but what do you call full manual as there is "manual, multi and TTLl".
21 Mar 2013 1:46PM
manual.
21 Mar 2013 1:54PM
Yes I have tried this.

Camera on flash commander mode- manual, then TTL and then set the flash up same but still the same problem.
21 Mar 2013 1:58PM
Looks like time to get a nikon flash then, sorry.
21 Mar 2013 2:01PM
Thanks
21 Mar 2013 5:40PM

Quote:
If I attach the flash to my camera and press the shutter button halfway the flash goes off and there is a series of flashes for about a second.

What you describe sounds exactly like red-eye reduction mode operating.
Is it possible either camera or flash are set to red-eye reduction mode?
21 Mar 2013 6:29PM
No I don't think so.

Looking at the seller's web site there is a line in the advert which say's this flash is not suitable for the D800 & D800E.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
22 Mar 2013 3:35PM
It may not work in fully auto TTL mode with those cameras, but it should still work in Manual (not TTL).

Try this test.

1. Set your D800 to P mode

2. Switch camera off

3. Fit flash to hot shoe.

4. Turn flash on.

5. Switch camera on

Does camera detect that a flash is fitted? If so:

6. Ensure camera is at the basic flash setting

7. Ensure flash is set to Manual.

8. Work out the amount of flash you want (from the guide number and distance). Set the flash power to suit.

9. See if it works.

Good luck.

My D800 works fine with Nissin and Yongnui flashguns in Manual (which I use most of the time) and also fully auto with an old Nikon SB600.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.