Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flash gun advice for wedding shoot please!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Lucian
Lucian  4541 forum posts
12 Sep 2011 - 2:04 PM

Just stick the camera in program mode and crack on. When there is not enough ambient light switch to manual and crank up the flash power. I do weddings all the time doing this and have no problems.

Lucian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Sep 2011 - 2:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
12 Sep 2011 - 2:06 PM

Would love to see some of your photos Lucian to learn from you. What's your website?

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 2:43 PM

Oh I would like to see those too.....

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41200 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2011 - 3:28 PM

A few pointers from me re the original questions...

Try not to use the wider end of the short zoom apart from large group shots, as the perspective is not so flattering.

You don't need to be too rabid about keeping the shutter speed high if you use the flash, as the flash duration is short enough to freeze motion, as long as you don't have it so slow you cause ghosting (ie. keep it above 1/30 as long as you can hand hold that slow, and don't worry about lack of VR - we have done without it for a very long time).

You can try using the camera on AV and flash on auto and dial in the aperture 1 or 2 stops wider to lessen the flash for fill-in (eg. if using f/8, tell the flash you are using f/5.6 or f/4 and it will under expose the right amount relative to the ambient light).

Don't be afraid to be creative and try things as long as you get the basic shots first.

Always use a diffuser of some kind. A Sto-fen type is good, and I'm sure there are many others. If you can't get hold of one, try taping a strong Kleenex tissue over the flash, being careful not to obscure any sensors.

Be careful with your base exposure and what you meter from, as the bride and groom are likely to have large contrast range between them. Make sure you don't blow the highlights on the bride's dress. Better to lose a little from the shadow than the highlight.

Always turn the bride and groom towards each other - the amound depends on how many people are in the picture - and have them hold hands behind the corsage. This usually neatens the hands up and improves the shape of the couple. Turning in suggests intimacy, so when there is just the two of them, turn them in more, and have their rearmost hips touching and their back arms behind each other's backs.

Always check the frame surrounds for intrusive elements - plants growing out of heads etc. You might not see it now, but later on it is all you will see!

Enjoy the day. If the couple are not expecting award winning pictures, then anything you do that pleases them is a plus. There is no point stressing about it.

Beware the 'expert' in the crowd who tries to tell you you are doing it wrong. Be polite, be firm and do it yourself. If they were any good, they would be doing the photos!

Nick

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.