Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flash Guns For Sony Alpha 350

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mikeyjuggler
    10 Mar 2009 - 7:51 PM

HELP!
    has anyone bought a flash gun for a sony alpha ( i have the 350) their own one costs about the same as i paid for the camera, so not sure it's worth it. There are bound to be other makes that will work, anyone had any good or bad experiences or anything that they can recommend?
    Cheers and beers
    Mike

Last Modified By mikeyjuggler at 10 Mar 2009 - 7:52 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Mar 2009 - 7:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

vetcameraman
    10 Mar 2009 - 8:28 PM

You could always go for the 'lesser' model - the F42AM, rather than the F58. I'm not sure how much light reduction you'll see. Rather cheaper though.
    I have the previous (discontinued F56) for my K-M Dimage A2. No qualms in recommending it.
    Cost options:
    1) I've purchased from Here - you can email Paul at his address - He is always helpful, and is where K-M directed me when they sold to Sony.
    2) Found this on G****e - don't know anything about them - phone first!!
    3) Usually OK from what I hear
    4) Support the Site - Go in Through 'STORE'
    5) Support the Site and Break The Bank
    6) Check Sony Flash Mount Compatibility on this one first - the Sigmas are supposed to be OK

Don't know if this helps at all, but from what I understand,it is worth going for a K-M/Sony brand flash.

Martin

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96038 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2009 - 8:36 PM

I've recently bought the Sigma EF-530 for my A350 and all seems hunky dory to me. Ok, I'm not used to using a flash and have a good bit of experimenting/learning to do but so far I'm perfectly happy with it.

Not being used to that extra weight on top I found the body seemed awfully small and light so had to treat myself to a battery grip to balance it all out Smile

mikeyjuggler
    12 Mar 2009 - 4:46 PM

thanks for the help, have opted for a sigma. It arrives tomorrow, so here's waiting for the dark nights!
    Mike

IvanBarnes70
    15 Mar 2009 - 9:56 AM

I am thinking of buying the Sony DSLR -A200K.Does anyone know if my Canon Speedlite 430 EX11 flashgun is compatible?I Barnes

AntHolloway
    AntHolloway e2 Member 9168 forum postsAntHolloway vcard United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2009 - 1:03 PM

Sorry Ivan your Canon flash will not work on the Sony as it has a different style hotshoe.

Ant.

IvanBarnes70
    15 Mar 2009 - 5:20 PM

Thank you Ant.You`ve saved me a lot of trouble .I did suspect it was a Sony exclusive hot shoe but was not sure.Ivan Barnes

strokebloke
    22 Mar 2009 - 11:01 PM

You can, quite cheaply, purchase an adaptor for the Sony hot-shoe, which converts the Sony into a conventional shoe which will take any flash with sympathetic electronics. It also has a sync lead point built into it. I bought mine from HK & it took a week to arrive, but it is compact and works well.

luddite88
    luddite88  5 United Kingdom
    23 Apr 2009 - 7:13 PM

I can back strokebloke up on that one, I have an A300 and was really annoyed to find that the hotshoe was incompatible with practically any other shoe. I got an adapter after searching a certain site beginning with e, paid less than 15 including delivery and its great! Even works wireless sets in a studio. Having seen the price of Sony flashes, I'd risk a couple of quid and try the old one first.

Cowboy73
    Cowboy73  5 Northern Ireland
    11 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

I have a sony a350 and am using a jessops brand flash which i used on my minolta 5d works perfectly.

Martin

[quote]HELP!
    has anyone bought a flash gun for a sony alpha ( i have the 350) their own one costs about the same as i paid for the camera, so not sure it's worth it. There are bound to be other makes that will work, anyone had any good or bad experiences or anything that they can recommend?
    Cheers and beers
    Mike

Last Modified By Cowboy73 at 11 May 2009 - 11:11 PM
    HJKeithW
    HJKeithW  659 forum posts New Zealand
    4 Jul 2009 - 9:26 AM

If you can find an old Minolta flashgun it will fit Sony. I have a Minolta 5400HS flash which is compatible. THere could be adapters from Minolta/Sony hotshoes to 'standard' Year ago I had a genereric flash which came with an adapter to fit the Minolta hotshoe

HJKeithW
    27 Nov 2010 - 12:54 AM

Further to my previous post of July 2009, the 5400HS flash is not fully compatible with the Sony A350. It will fit the Sony-Minolta design hotshoe but will fire only on 100%, you have no control over it. A damned nuisance as I can't afford to buy another flash!

vetcameraman
    9 Dec 2010 - 1:23 AM

HJKeithW - try here - it requires a bit of electronic knowhow but is reported as very useful to convert older Minolta flashes to digital functionality. Sebastian is good for email advice as well.

HJKeithW
    8 Jun 2011 - 7:47 AM

I have ordered one of these adapters. I don't know how long it will take to get to New Zealand. When it arrives and been installed, I'll let you know what I think of it. It cost 34 Euros including shipping which is a lot less than a new flash and it will be good to have my old Minolta 5400HS back in service again

aberdaron59
    17 Sep 2013 - 1:56 PM

the Minolta 2500D Minolta 3600HSD and Minolta 5600HSD all
    work perfectly with the alpha's

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.