Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Flash lighting support suggestions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2011 - 9:12 PM

Well tripods macro and me just don't get along - at least with the camera end. However I increasingly find that I want a light, stable and easily adjustable lighting support to hold the flash head in place for me whilst I concentrate on shooting. Idealy something that not just holds the flash upright, but allows for a side arm (ie so the flash can be both vertical and horizontal and also held out away from the legs).

Up till now I've used the Manfrotto 055XPROB to do this job, but whilst it works well its a very heavy setup and certainly overkill for what I need (since at persent the only flash lighting I have that I need this for is the 580EX2 and a small softbox).

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Apr 2011 - 9:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111914 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 May 2011 - 9:14 AM

Would one of the work for you, it attaches to a camer or tripod. C Shaped Flash Bracket

Overread
    1 May 2011 - 1:26 PM

I've seen those listed, but I've used cheap ebay flash brackets before and I find that whilst the design might have some merits they tend to be a bit too light on the build quality - the result is that they wobble a lot and never feel that secure.

Also its still keeping the flash on camera or on the heavy tripod = both of which I'd prefer to avoid.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72230 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2011 - 2:11 PM

How about using a boom arm on a lighting stand?

Overread
    1 May 2011 - 2:23 PM

Got any product recomendations? I really don't know the lighting stand market at all for what is on offer

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72230 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2011 - 2:30 PM

Something lightweight like this should be sufficient for a speedlite application.

Overread
    1 May 2011 - 2:59 PM

Hmm I wonder if those boom arms would fit to a cheap 15 tripod set of legs - I only wonder since the legs on the light stand are very low set and clearly aimed at being used on a nice flat surface - rather than outdoors where the ground is often not as flat or even

arhb
    1 May 2011 - 3:04 PM

I think there is possibly an adaptor that would work in between a tripod or head, and the spigot socket that you will find on the boom mount, but you would need to make enquiries. The guy at Smick trading is pretty helpful, so it might be worth contacting him for some advice. I believe he's done some video tutorials on epz about lighting.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.